1995 - Grumman Boat - GV1676P Super Pro Tiller - Questions on first restore.

onemaingun

Cadet
Good afternoon everyone!

First I would like to say that I am new to the forums and would like to say "Hello" to everyone! Glad to find a forum with such a vast amount of information. Much of it has led me to the purchases up to the start day of my restoration.

I recently purchased this Grumman and naturally had to launch the boat to find any trouble spots / issues with the boat. First thing I found were a few soft spots in the plywood in the sole and bow. The rest of the boat is solid.

Here are a few pictures of what I am dealing with.

rear transom.jpgrod stowage.jpgsole.jpg

I do know the sole is attached via stainless steel screws. But what I do not know is what it is attached to. My guess would be aluminum channel of some design, but would like advice on this as I do not want surprises when I remove the ply.

I plan on using resin on the face down portion of the new play but have searched and can't find a name brand to make a purchase. Any thoughts on what would be best for my application?

Is there any type of foam used between the ply and the aluminum hull and what would be my best option?

Thanks everyone!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1995 - Grumman Boat - GV1676P Super Pro Tiller - Questions on first restore.

Nice looking boat.

Don't worry too much about what you'll find below deck until you get there. Since your boat is a '95 model I'm pretty sure you'll find that the decking is screwed to ribs that run from side to side, but you may have stringers that run from transom to bow... you'll never know until you open 'er up.

Between your ribs or stringers you'll have expanding floatation foam, your foam may be wet or dry... it depends on how well it's been taken care of. If your foam is wet it'll need to be removed and replaced, if it's dry just leave it alone and go on with your restoration.

Take a lot of pictures when disassembling your boat, it will help when you start putting it back together... but aluminum boats are easy to take apart and put back together so if you forget to take pics it won't be that hard.

Keep us informed and updated on your progress.

Almost forgot, the resin for sealing your decking should be epoxy resin for the longest for your new decking.

I, and a lot of other folks on this forum use the 635 epoxy resin with the 3 to 1 medium hardener from this place:
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

onemaingun

Cadet
Re: 1995 - Grumman Boat - GV1676P Super Pro Tiller - Questions on first restore.

Just a quick update, the resin just came in and I am one step closer to tearing down. Purchased all my stainless hardware this morning at the local hardware store. Which got me to thinking.

I would like to place a thin strip of rubber on the face down portion of my sole and casting deck where the decking makes contact to be screwed down. Adhering the rubber with 100% GE silicone. Any opinions on this would be helpful.

Pictures to follow this week!

P.S I was thinking about placing a clear wood deck over the rod stowage with an inlay-ed rule. Just for aesthetics any thoughts on that?

Thanks everyone!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't bother with the rubber, it'll just trap any water/moisture that leaks down from the top of your deck and will promote deck rot.

If anything, seal the bottom of your decking with epoxy resin. I personally don't find this necessary unless you're going to use 2 part expanding foam after you install the decking and the foam is going to be in contact with the decking (I personally don't like this design/build).

When I removed the plywood decking from '97 Tracker last fall the bottom of the plywood looked brand new, but my boat doesn't leak and I keep it trailered and covered to protect it from the elements and don't allow water to accumulate in the bilge by removing the plug after each use.

I think the inlaid ruler is a cool idea.

onemaingun

Cadet

jigngrub,

Thanks for the advice concerning the rubber. Well I started to rip up the old carpeting today and thought I would share what I have found.

Rivets on sole.jpg

As you can see rivets are holding the sole to the ribbing of the boat. Replacing the sole with 1/2 plywood and my question is can I use a 1 inch SS screw to secure my new decking?

Here is the lovely carpet that came in yesterday when I was out Sturgeon fishing.

Charcoal Carpeting.jpg

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Hey,........

Someone said TILLER!!!!!,.........

You'll have to measure and see if you have room for 1 inch screws,.......

Myself, I would probably use new rivets, The screws might not grab and hold, And when they do grab the head might break off,...

onemaingun

Cadet

Hello Teamster,

Wouldn't have it any other way then a tiller for those marble eyes and ski's. Well here is the good news everyone, it's been a productive day of boat restoration. So I will fire away with my progress report.

Bow Tear Down.jpgBow Tear Down Close Up.jpgSeat Brackets.jpgSole Old Ply.jpg

As you can see she was really dirty under the plywood. The great news is all floatation foam was completely dry. I measured the placement and if I opt to use 1 inch SS screws the option is available.

The bad news is my phone died and could not take pictures of the new decking that is already pre-fitted and ready for epoxy and carpet tomorrow. Opting for the in-layed ruler and clear wood deck over the rod stowage lid and larger live well. More pictures to follow I promise. Thanks again everyone for the info, without it I would not have been able to get exactly what I needed for this application.

RickJ

Cadet

Hello, I have the exact same boat ( I bought new in 1996). It is a great boat, you will have a blast. Remember it is a lighter gauge aluminum than its peers. Easy to load/launch and maneuver but gets bounced around in the water easily.

I have the exact same problem of rotten floor up front and main deck. I am afraid to take it a part for fear of not being able to put it back together. Thanks for posting the pics. That reduces the fear. I don't have much skill in this area. I am in mid Michigan. Would love to see the finished product. Are you anywhere near me?

onemaingun

Cadet

Hello, I have the exact same boat ( I bought new in 1996). It is a great boat, you will have a blast. Remember it is a lighter gauge aluminum than its peers. Easy to load/launch and maneuver but gets bounced around in the water easily.

I have the exact same problem of rotten floor up front and main deck. I am afraid to take it a part for fear of not being able to put it back together. Thanks for posting the pics. That reduces the fear. I don't have much skill in this area. I am in mid Michigan. Would love to see the finished product. Are you anywhere near me?

Rick, I been wondering what gauge the boat is, did a little research on it, they changed the gauge during the 1996 year, so could be lucky to have the heavy hull. Just don't have any solid way of finding out. Very forgiving at the dock, and she does get carried around easily in chop / wind.

The boat is completed, I have yet to post pics of the finished product. I can get them posted up as soon as possible. I am located in central Wisconsin.

RickJ

Cadet

Mine is the '95 with lighter gauge Aluminum. I may be able to find what it is. I have Owners Manuel but not sure it is in there. Do you want me to look for you? Please post some pics of finished product. I have done nothing with tear apart due to fear and the time it will take me to finish. I have two active kids and very little down time. I also have less skill and probably not all the tools. Mine is in much rougher shape. Yours looks new, before teat apart. I have taken good care of it but have used and trailered it a lot. If you are not aware OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) built some crappy engines at that time. Co was folding and being sold. They pushed unfinished motors out the door. They had a lot of problems with the head. Most people I have talked to with that engine have had to have it rebuilt within the first two years. Check to see if yours has been rebuilt. May have to ask original owner, if possible.

Come on down to mid Mich and show me how to repair deck. I'll buy the beer.

Rick

I have added a few things. I added an additional switch, on top of white ledge to lower/raise engine while moving or loading. Also put in new pedistal seat in rear. I put in a bigger one, that allows me top sit higher. I also moved it out away from engine a foot or so for more leg room. I put leaning post up front instead of seat. I like to stand and fan cast with trolling motor.

Last thing; if and when you replace trailer lights, use original equipment, not generic. It will work 10 times better.

RickJ

Cadet

Hey,

Any luck with the final pics? Also, what would did you use to replace top deck 1/2 inch? 3/4 inch 1? Did you use marine plywood?

Was getting the carpet back on correctly difficult?

Thanks,

Rick