DIY non-skid deck

shelman

Cadet
So I have head of some people rolling out a thin layer of epoxy and then covering it with a 1/2 in of sand. letting it cure the vacuuming it off, then painting in order to get a non-skid deck. has any one had any luck with this approach? and what sand did you use. I am worried about it not having enough traction after it is covered with 2 coats of paint. I am also trying to learn more about crushed walnut shell instead of sand but can't seem to find much. any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: DIY non-skid deck

Put the non-skid material in the paint. Use paint texture products from the box store.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I've used fine grained sand in the final coat of epoxy (then paint with Rustoleum) on all three of my projects and have been quite happy with it. BUT! Beware that dragging a cooler across the deck the paint won't last long. Snap in carpet solves that problem though;)

I'm thinking DuraBak/Kiwi Grip is far more durable. Course it comes at a very steep cost by comparison.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sand works but it is VERY aggressive on your feet. A rubberized non-slip or a small amount of texture additive. Do not go wild or you will hurt your feet.

shelman

Cadet

thanks. I am planning on painting a 2 part urethane with a hvlp, so hopefully my paint will hold up well. my boat is a 30' off shore sailboat. I have a lot of area which is why i was staying clear of the store bought additives ( $$$$ ). Has any one used crushed walnut shells?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have done just about every type of non skid there is.

Like he said, sand can be very aggressive, but finer grit sand is a little more forgiving. You don't cover it with 1/2 an inch of sand, you can either sprinkle it in a somewhat even pattern (a little tricky to do when covering a large area), or just cover the whole surface, it just needs to be covered, not a 1/2" deep.

I normally use gel coat with sand, apply a coat with a roller and then put down the size and amount of sand needed for the texture desired. When that's hard you sweep and/or blow off the excess sand, now you apply as many coats of gel coat as you need to get the right surface grip needed, more gel coat layers means it will be less aggressive. More layers of gel coat will help it look good longer because the tops of each point will wear away and eventually you will be able to see the dark sand showing through.

With paint it works the same, but paint goes on thinner, so finer sand or more coats of paint are needed to mellow out the texture of the sand. Paint will also wear away quicker and expose the dark peaks of each piece of sand. You can get white sand though, so it may not show up as much, but it will cost more.

I always roll the paint or gel coat over the sand (at least the first coat), if you don’t some of the sand will blow away and land on the rest of the surface you’re spraying. When the non skid is done and looks right then it gets painted again when the rest of the deck is painted.

Also if you ever need to repair a non skid surface that has sand in it it can be a nightmare, it can take hours and a ton of grinding discs to make any headway.

As a non skid surface sand works great, but remember, sand will take the skin off of any body part that slides across it, feet, hands, knees, etc, so if the wife and kids are on board they may not like it.

Other types of grit (shells, powders, rubber, plastic, glass beads, and others) can be exposed and be seen as the paint or gel coat wears away, so try to match the grit with the color of the finish.

If the family is on board one of the softer, rubbery non slip surfaces may work better.

shelman

Cadet

thanks for all the info every one! maybe I need to look for a rubbery non-skid. having my paint wear through and seeing sand doesn't sound all that great. any sugestions on a cheap quallity product?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

The sanded deck on my boats were easy on the feet and not all that bad on the knees.

I did some testing on rubber pieces and was not at all happy with it. That test is buried deep in my Islander thread somewhere.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would spray-in truck bed liner work, like Rhino-liner? It comes in different colors, and is a good non-slip surface. Just sayin.....

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Spray in brands are very expensive, but some can work. There are over the counter two part products that work well. My boats all have sand or a similar product.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Would spray-in truck bed liner work, like Rhino-liner? It comes in different colors, and is a good non-slip surface. Just sayin.....

There have been a couple of bed liner decks show up in restos here that have actually turned out well and look nice.

shelman

Cadet

has any one used "Pettit's EZ Decks" or "Interlux Interdeck Non Skid"? they seem to have good reviews. I think they are both one part urethane's, but not sure how well they would hold up.

the bed liners might be worth looking into. Not sure how well they will look, but ya never know.