1987 Astroglass 166v

RodneyEdmundson

Recruit
Hello all, new member here.

This is my first boat, I am not sure what i'm getting myself into and would like some guidance. First off, this boat has been sitting in the weather for 10+ years before I rescued it. It was running like a champ when my grandpa passed away 10 years ago, which was where it sat for the time being. It had trees growing from on top of the deck, 5 inches of muck and leaves all over, and it was a bad sight. After a LOT of cleaning, I did put it on my pond, and it does float with no leaks to be found. There were soft spots on the main floor of the boat, so I decided to rip up the old carpet and look into what I was getting myself into, and upon reading a lot of different threads around here, i didn't really find what i expected. This thing is a mess and i'm aware of that.

Under the carpet, on the front and rear decks, is the fiberglass storage, but on the deck, under the console, I was expecting to find a wooden deck, with fiberglass underneath. Under the carpet was a layer of fiberglass, and wood(mulch) below. I have taken a few pictures, to get some guidance to what I was looking at in terms of a small restoration. Is this boat worth my time? I would guess as long as its been sitting, the stringers are rotten, and that is something I know I couldn't tackle.

20120822_141018.jpg

The boat.

20120824_143244.jpg

This is the floor under the console.

20120824_143249.jpg

Deck storage, this leads back to the transom of the boat and drains out of the very back plug?

20120824_143136.jpg

Where the battery sits. It is destroyed, what is under this? Is this something I can rebuild?

20120824_143216.jpg

Behind where the battery sits, there is a crack, if you can see it.

20120824_143324.jpg

Main deck storage, crack.

RodneyEdmundson

Recruit
Re: 1987 Astroglass 166v

Wondering if anyone thinks this boat is worth the time, or if it's a lawn ornament.

emoney

Commander

Well, if it was a boat that someone had in their front yard with a "take me home" sign, I'd say pass. But, since it was your Grandpa's, only you can decide if it's worth the effort and cash you'll need to invest to bring it back to life. I'm sure it will need stringers, transom & deck. What do you know about the motor, have you looked at it closely?

RodneyEdmundson

Recruit

I haven't looked at the motor "closely", but have examined somewhat, it is pretty clean. It's a 79'(believe, would have to check papers) Mercury 1500, 150HP. I turned the motor manually, and it is free and not locked. It was winterized before it began its' 10 year hibernation.I called a local boat mechanic and he said he could have it running for under 250$ after I told him the situation.

It really has no sentimental value, looking at actual costs of making this a nice boat again. I have had it on my pond 3 or 4 times the way it sits in the first picture, trolling around, and in that aspect it is fine. Just wondering if it's worth it, or am I better off getting rid of the hull and keeping my motor until another comes around? I didnt want to put more than a grand into this boat, but I don't think that is very realistic after looking closer.

Could you tell me how water can actually get to the stringers? I am very, very new to boats and it appears that it is completely fiberglassed in, how does the water get down there to rotten them?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just wondering if it's worth it, or am I better off getting rid of the hull and keeping my motor until another comes around? I didnt want to put more than a grand into this boat, but I don't think that is very realistic after looking closer.

Could you tell me how water can actually get to the stringers? I am very, very new to boats and it appears that it is completely fiberglassed in, how does the water get down there to rotten them?

Take a look at GT1000000's resto, he's been plugging away making progress, but has a ways to go & has managed to score some incredible deals on materials.... And he's in it for the long haul. And LOVES his rig, if you don't, well, this particular fiberglass boat may not be the 1 you want to tear into & resto.....

If you do decide to change directions & look for a different hull, consider stripping the Astroglass down to the bare hull. Keep the trailer, motor & all the bits you scavenge off the boat. The next boat may be missing 1 or several of these items. If they are un-wanted/needed, you can sell them to off-set the resto of your next boat that's the 1 you want/need instead of just some boat that doesn't really even connect you & your memories back to your grandfather.

The misconception about fiberglass is that it's waterproof. It isn't. Even the very smallest possible pin hole defect thru the fiberglass will draw air into & out of the hole & the minute trace of moisture in that air will condense and remain inside the fiberglass enclosure. And trapped water starts to degrade the wooden structure the fiberglass was supposed to be protecting. And water exposure long term causes the blistering seen on marina in the water stored boat hulls.

RodneyEdmundson

Recruit

Thank's for the link. After reading in on it a lot more. As much as I would love to, I think this would be too big of a project for me to take on. I have no knowledge of boats, or anything to do with boats, I would probably do more harm than good.

I think I may take the motor off of this one and turn it into a small fishing rig for my small pond, just to troll around.

jbcurt00

Staff member

There is nothing wrong w/ deciding it isn't something you want to commit to, long term. You might consider doing some minor work on the boat to decide if fiberglass work is something you want to consider doing as well.

If you can clean it up, get it water ready, and make it a small fishing rig for a pond, that's a good choice too. And it will allow you to spend time on the water & fishing while you think about a different rig & look for what you do want/need.

And from now until March, there will be lots of boats put on the market for a variety of reasons. So keep looking, you'll probably find 1, or 3, soon... :facepalm: