2004 Pro Craft 180 Combo cracks in the splashwell????

carpeater

Recruit
I bought this boat in and did not notice the cracks in the splashwell till I had already purchased the boat. I talk to a few marine mechanics and they stated it was just in the gel coat. I have ran the boat over 100 times since I purchased it and the cracks have not expanded or new cracks have not formed. Do you think I should get the transom checked? 015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg023.jpg

The mechanic also gave me some 3M 4200 to seal the cracks and a transom support bracket.
How do you tell if there is flex in the transom by pulling up or pressing down on the motor?? Seems when I try this, it moves the whole boat. I do hear a cracking noise when I use the trim to raise and lower the motor, it is always at the same point when the motor is raised.
Any insight would be appreciated!!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 Pro Craft 180 Combo cracks in the splashwell????

Welcome to iBoats!
It's really hard to say exactly what could have caused them. Over tightening of the bolts possibly. Soggy wood possibly. If you can get to the inside of the transom you can drill into it about an inch deep and see if you get light colored Dry shavings. If so then you're good to go. If dark colored or damp then you have your answer. Fill the holes with 3M 5200 sealant if it's dry. If the transom's dry and you want to repair the cracks for cosmetic reasons, use a dremel to open em up a bit, wash em down with acetone and then mix up some white gelcoat paste and apply it. Then sand thru 1000 grit and the buff and polish as best you can.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

how big is the motor and do you use a transom saver when its on the trailer. when you installed the transom surport what did the inside of the holes look like? (wondering if a 2004 is a wood transom or something else)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Its probably cosmetic .. how does the transom look on the Outside ? any cracking going there ?

YD.

carpeater

Recruit

how big is the motor and do you use a transom saver when its on the trailer. when you installed the transom surport what did the inside of the holes look like? (wondering if a 2004 is a wood transom or something else)

The motor is a Mercury 150 XR6. The inside of the mounting holes looked dry. Tracker Marine rep told me the transom is wood with composite that overlays the wood..whatever that means. I took off the 3M 4200 hundred today to see if the cracks have expanded, they are the same as when I purchased the boat. I don't know..

carpeater

Recruit

Its probably cosmetic .. how does the transom look on the Outside ? any cracking going there ?

YD.

The ouside of the transom does not have a single scratch on it. I hope is just cosmetic.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sounds and looks like cosmetic to me :) .

YD.