cheat pedestal seats or homemade solution?

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Lots of choices out there,

Can anyone point me to a decent cheap pedestal seat,parts, or homemade solution?

I have a set of back to back seats. I think I might split them, buy two pedestals, and build a bracket to modify them into single pedestal seats...that's one thought anyway.

{edit}woops spelling mistake in the title I meant "Cheap". Don't think i can edit that...

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Re: cheat pedestal seats or homemade solution?

nice work there!

Anyone ever use these cheap azz things in salt water? Amazon actually has relatively decent reviews of them, but I wonder if they will rust out in 4 years. I use a trailered boat, use it a few times per year but even that has not been kind to random zinc bolts on my previous boat.
Economy-Peds_mn.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Installing pedestal seats in a f'glass boat requires taking some extra pains unless you don't care if your deck rots out in a couple 3 years.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Installing pedestal seats in a f'glass boat requires taking some extra pains unless you don't care if your deck rots out in a couple 3 years.

Do you mean if its not 100% sealed waterproof it will trap water, where as the aluminum hull would drain?
Mines aluminum

Shoot my "temp" back to back seats are rotted, looks like this is the year ill finally be forced to buy pedestals

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do you mean if its not 100% sealed waterproof it will trap water, where as the aluminum hull would drain?
Mines aluminum

Shoot my "temp" back to back seats are rotted, looks like this is the year ill finally be forced to buy pedestals

Not much consideration for positive drainage is given to the majority of f'glass boats, unsealed penetrations in a glassed in deck is usually a death sentance for it.

If you have an aluminum boat with good drainage (most of them leave a lot to be desired too) and good decking pedestal seats will be fine.

What is your deck thickness? 5/8" is minimum for good pedestal support and 3/4" is best. 1/2" decking is less than desirable, especially if you plan to use wood or sheet metal screws to hold the pedestal base down (rookie build).

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Floor is 3/4 -5ply t&g expoxied on all sides, I was thinking another piece of 3/4 glued to the floor under each base, and pedestals fastened through 1.5" with toggle bolts, but I havn't really looked in to it yet to know if theres a better way, or if the extra piece of wood is even worth doing

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Can you lift/remove your decking to install 1/4-20 "T" nuts on the bottom of the decking? This is the factory/OEM installation boat manufacturers are using. If not the 1 1/2" plywood thickness and some big ol' #14x1 1/2" SS sheet metal screws would probably work. I'm not much of a toggle bolt fan because of the small dia. screw and the Hugh Jass hole you have to drill to install them, then if there's something in the way behind/under where you want to install they won't open right.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, your exactly right about the toggle bolts. The deck cant be removed without a huge hassel. Guess ill be screwing it in...if i ever pull the trigger and actually buy them

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Or you could do it this way...with some epoxy and t nuts on the bottom of the bases before you glue em down.
seatpedestal.jpg