fiberglass boat botom paint options

chiefraz

Cadet
I have repaired my 1998 Sprint boat, after ordeal with a tornado and shore rocks. The local dealers are telling me I must re gel-coat the bottom of the boat. It is white gel-coated except the areas I have repaired. Are there any other options out there that will work just as well. Im-ron has been suggested, but I need frugel options. I have very limited funds, but need to do something that will wotk. The boat is only in the water for a few hours during fishing. That can be up to 12 hours, but it is stored on the trailer most of the time.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: fiberglass boat botom paint options

This Majic braqnd paint is available at Tractor Supply stores. Valspar makes a similar line called Farm Implement & Equipment paint. Valspar makes a hardener as well. Valspar was the paint WOG recommended, from Tractor Supply, but when TS quit carrying it, and started selling the Majic, WOG changed his recommendation too. If I'm not mistaken, the quantities & ratios stayed the same, so if you can find the Farm Implement by Valspar all this should still work...

Ok Here's my recommended formula for Majic Oil Based Acrylic Enamel Paint for Roll n' Roll and for Spraying.

21.jpg

This Should yield one THIN coat on a 14-16 foot boat hull.

For aluminum boats, Acid wash the boat (lots of guys just use 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water) then use a Self Etching Primer (I like the SEM Primer shown below) on ALL bare aluminum spots, and then coat the entire boat with the Majic Oil Base Metal Primer Shown above.

$%28KGrHqIOKkIE1qUPbU1RBNi9,RtMiw%7E%7E_12.JPG

For Fiberglass Boats I recommend using the same Majic Tractor and Implement Primer - Gray

Even though it says metal primer, in speaking with their rep's it will work fine on Fiberglass and Gelcoat.

If you have Deep sides you may need to adjust the amount of Paint you buy. I recommend Majic's Oil Base Metal Primer. IF your boat is NOT left in the water for MORE than 3-4 days at a time, this will work fine. This is NOT for boats left in the marina for the season.

This is for Roll n' Roll Application

Final sand with 180 grit and wipe down with acetone.
Two coats of Primer. Roll n' Roll technique is the same. Thin coats!!!
Use the Ultra Smooth Whizz Brand High Density 6" Foam Rollers
732087940657xl.jpg

Mixing Formula

2 cups Paint
1/4 cup of Majic Reducer
57796.jpg

1 oz of Hardener (1/8 cup/2Tablespoons)(Sold @ Tractor Supply Stores)

8-0950-4_Majic_Catalyst_Hardener_-_05_Pint.jpg

Roll n' Roll Technique
Wet roller with paint an roll out about 4-6 sqare feet. Thin coats work best and help prevent runs. If you can HEAR the paint (Sticky Sound)you are rolling too long. Put the first roller in a Plastic bag and use another roller. wet it out but wring out almost all of the paint and then Re-roll the area you just painted. Use a very LIGHT stroke and the paint should lay down with NO Bubbles!. Put this roller in the bag and use the other roller again. Repeat this process untill the boat is painted. Always do the re-roll with a damp roller with very little paint in it and LISTEN. You will hear the sound that lets you know when it's time to stop. It's kind of a sticky sound.
Here's a link to 2 videos showing the technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MekW6qu_HT4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

For Spraying.

Final sand and wipe down with acetone.
Two coats of Primer. Use HVLP spray gun with a 1.2 - 1.4mm Tip. Thin coats!!!

21.jpg

For 1 qt paint
3/4 cup of Acetone & 3/4 cup of Majic's Reducer.In High Temps use Acrylic Enamel High Temp Reducer sold at some Auto Supply stores. I used Acme Finish 1.)
2oz of Hardener (1/4 cup/4Tablespoons)
(NOTE: Only add Hardener to the amount of Paint that you will use in an 8hr period.) DO NOT use after this 8hr period.

I mixed up 2 cups (1/2 qt) at a time using 1oz of hardener, 3/4 cup of reducer.

One Quart should yield two coats of Paint.
Shoot first coat in the morning.
Wait 4-8 hours.
Wet sand with ScotchBrite Pad LIGHTLY to knock down any nubs or bugs.
Dry.
Tack cloth off with 50/50 mix of Mineral Spirits and Acetone.
Dry.
Shoot second Coat.
Let dry over night
Repeat wet sand and Tack cloth
Shoot 3rd and 4th coat if needed.

HINT: If you want a COLOR that you cannot find, then you can use Acrylic Artists OIL paint thinned with acetone from any Art supply store that you buy in tubes or use another color of the Majic Paint. Google search to find out how to mix paint to get the color you're wanting. It's not to hard to do. Start with small amounts, keep track of the ratio and then multiply it to get the amounts you need. You can get ANY Color in the Rainbow and it works GREAT!!!!

Ambient Temperature, Relative humidity and Spray gun settings all play a big role in how the paint will lay down on the surface to be painted. Also, Remember, your paint job will only be as good as your surface prep. The primer will tell the story. If you can SEE it when it's in primer you'll see it in the finish coat. Sand it and fill it if you want it smooth on the final coat. 3M Premium Marine Filler is good stuff. I like to mix my own filler using the following formula...1cup resin, 1.5% MEKP, 1 Heaping tablespoon Cabosil and mix enough Glass bubbles till the mixture is like mayonaise or slightly thicker. I might use slight less MEKP if I want to extend the working time. I do not recommend using Bondo. Some people use it but it will absorb water if the paint chips on it. For small blemishes and surfaces scratches and above the water line It might be ok. A high build primer can also be used to take care of those.
TCP Global sells a good High Build Primer for Fiberglass, as well as Acrylic Enamel Paints and supplies (nice HVLP Spray Guns) at reasonable prices. I might try their paint on my next boat project.

This is a good article on how to setup most HVLP Spray Guns...
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How much area needs to be repaired? Is it White? Is it all below the water line? Are you wanting it to be perfectly matched or can it be "Off" just a bit? You can use just about any arcylic enamel paint and add the hardener to it. Just make sure and wear the best respirator with the apprropriate filters. if the damage is not to extensive you can roll or brush on Gelcoat and sand buff and polish and get reasonable results. Posting pics of the damage would greatly help us to help you. Again unless the damage is extensive your costs should not be to bad.

chiefraz

Cadet

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

These are the repairs I have made. All are under the water line. I haven't started the top repairs as yet. The bottom is gelcoat, but the costs are too much for me to purchase. The match of color is no real matter, its white. Hopefully there is something out there, cheep, that can be used and adheres to gelcoat. Hope this helps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I been using the paint listed for several years as a cheap alternative to the expensive paints. With the hardener it's pretty durable and should last you quite a while. You should be happy with it and could paint all those areas with a roller for under $50 bucks.

chiefraz

Cadet

The words Thank You aren't enough. I have applied two coats of the primer and WOW what a strong primer. I am VERY impressed by it. I will use your formula to roll the color coat on. Its white, so I should imediately see results. I am thinking two coats of color and two coats of clear. Tractor Supply was a great help, and it was not expensive at all. I will send you some pictures of the progress made. The total cost was under $100, all parts included. Thank You once again, I know I will be happy with the results.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you use the Hardener, I wouldn't worry about the clear on the bottom of the boat. It'll be shiny enuf with out it and hard as nails.

chiefraz

Cadet

I am going to add another coat of color today. Hard as nails is what it has become. I understand there is no need for a clear coat, but I have some scratches (deep) in the color just above the white area I have already painted. I just figured that an additional coat with hardner would insure the durability of what I have already done. I will post some pictures of the damage, repair and painting when its finished. I have additional repairs needed to upper portion and interior to complete before I get back into the water. Just really happy the each step now gets me closer to being back into the water. I know ther are many Crappie, Bass, and Walleye that have missed me, can hardly wait to get back and see them.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I'm glad you are pleased with your efforts. Hope the fishin' is GREAT when you get back on the water!!!!
thumbnail.aspx