'89 Wellcraft Eclipse 186 restore

RCrockett

Seaman
Re: '89 Wellcraft Eclipse 186 restore

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Us Composites, but still need to order more. I got 25 yards 1.5 oz CSM, a 25 yd roll of both 6" and 12" 1708 biax tape, 2lbs of 1/4" chopped strand, 5 qt of Cabosil, and 5 gallons of 435 layup resin. I know I will probably need another 1o gallons of resin, but I am not sure how much of the 4 lb foam I will need. Any suggestions as to how much i should get?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IMO you don't need 4# foam. The 2# is Quite sufficient and most commonly used. You will need to calculate your cubic feet to get an estimate of how much you'll need. If you need help with that you can send me a PM and I'll work with you. You will need at least 5 qts more of cabosil and for sure another 10 gallons of Resin. Not sure what all the 6" and 12" 1708 is for I assume the stringers?? and Tabbing the Transom and Deck? You'll need some full yards of it for the Transom as well. How tall are your stringers. You will need to calculate your cubic feet to get an estimate of how much you'll need

RCrockett

Seaman

Yes the 1708 is for my stringers and tabbing. The tallest stringer is only 10" tall. I should be able to tab them then cap the with another layer. Figure the cubic feet is proving difficult because of the hull slant. I am sure I will get there. The 2# foam will save me some money though. That is a good thing.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Based on what your dimensions are and considering you have a Ski Locker Fuel Tank and Engine compartment. I'd Guess-Ti-Mate you'll need 3-16lb/2# kits from USComposites to do your boat. I'm basing this on your boat being 18' long 6' wide and 10" deep at the deepest point. Take away the Ski Locker, Tank and Engine compartments and I think you'll a little more than 20 cubic feet to fill.

RCrockett

Seaman

OK great. That gives me an idea what I need. I want to get the rest ordered soon. I am almost done with the grinding.

RCrockett

Seaman

between the monsoon rains and the jungle heat and humidity I have not hardly touched the boat in the last month. I was able to get out in it for the hour or so last weekend. I figure another 2 to 3 hours of grinding and I will be done. I am on vacation next week and hope to have the transom in place and most of the floor stringers ready to be glassed in

RCrockett

Seaman

After a long breakI a!m back at it again. I have a little grinding left to do but really wanted to start the rebuild to energize me. So I got the the transom cut out and glued together and started getting some of my stringers cut. I cut them a little snug so I can scribe my hull and get a better fit. I will snap a chalk line from lip of the the flooring to get my final height before glassing them in. I need to come up with some 1/4 inch spacers to hold them off the hull to attach them with PL. But it is showing signs of life!

Last edited:

RCrockett

Seaman
It has been so long since I posted I forgot how to link a photo and my tablet wants to post things twice. Bear with me and I will get this right.

Last edited: