'89 Wellcraft Eclipse 186 restore

RCrockett

Seaman
I am getting ready to restore my wellcraft Eclipse 186. I live in Central Maine, near Sebec Lake. Anyone know of any salvage yards around here? I need a new dash console, a center window, new wellcraft insignias.

This is a hull up restore. My floor and stringer and probably the transom need replacing. The Motor need to be rebuilt or replaced. It is a 3.7 mercruiser 224 ci. I know there is not a lot of fans of this motor out there. Undecided on the repair or replace option. I have searched ebay and there is not alot there. Any other suggestions?

I hear people talk about US Composites for their resin and fiberglass needs. Is this the best place to find this stuff? Epoxy or Poly Resin? Benefits and drawbacks?

Lastly, there are a few scratches in my gel coat. What is the best way to address this problem? A few of the scratches are quite deep and go through the color.

This is a great looking boat and I want to bring it back to it original glory. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Roy

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: '89 Wellcraft Eclipse 186 restore

Sounds like a heck of a lot of work and money. Typically a total resto only makes sense if you've got a good driveline already. You could find a water-ready boat for what you'll end up with rebuilding this one properly plus repairing or replacing the motor.

RCrockett

Seaman

Yes it will be a lot of work. I plan on doing all the work myself so i can save a bunch on labor. I am figuring on $1000 to rebuild the motor and up to $1-2000 to rebuild the floor. I don't think I will find much for that amount of money. Besides, I want to learn and the best way is to get my hands dirty. So I am back to my original questions, Can anyone help me out?

Trooper82

Commander

Plenty of help to be had here...if you have the time and don't mind spending the money...anything is possible...

Let's start out with some pictures so we can see what you are getting into.

Be prepared for a lot of fun too!

RCrockett

Seaman

image1.jpgimage6.jpgimage4 (2).jpg
Here is the boat as it sits. I have not gotten into the floor yet. I have a really soft spot between the consoles to the right of the ski locker. Another soft spot in front of the motor. I can see cracked fiberglass all the way around the Bilge. Was getting ready to pull the motor to see what i did to it. But...I tore my Hamstring. So all plans are on hold. I cant even climb in the boat to get pictures at the moment. The Motor was running when i got the boat. I think it threw a bearing. If so, then the motor rebuild should be easy...as long as i did not score the Crank too bad.

RCrockett

Seaman

IMAG0386.jpgIMAG0385.jpg
these are the cracks in the fiberglass in the motor compartment/ bilge area.

RCrockett

Seaman

IMAG0376.jpg
this is the ski locker, notice the hanging plywood. Every cross member in here looks really bad.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-07-11 18.15.14.jpg2012-07-20 13.35.23.jpg2012-08-10 16.51.32.jpg
This is my motor and drive unit. As you can see my drive unit needs a paint job bad. I think it used to have an alternator on the front. You can see a broken bolt in a hole on the front. There is red wire going to the starter from that area. I am pulling the motor soon to see what the screeching noise is that is coming from with in. Hopefully nothing that can not be fixed. I did toy with the idea of replacing it with the 4.3 v6 mercruiser. Since I have to do floor anyway, i could change the motor mounts. But....I don't know.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-10 17.06.59.jpg
I have a few scratches in the gel coat like this, they are just deep enough to go through the color. How do I fix this?

Ok there are several pictures and questions. This is what i am looking at. The Boat itself looks really good. The interior is not bad. The motor ran until I got the screeching problem. The outdrive works fine even though it looks rough. I think it is salvageable. I also think it will be a great boat when it is finished. But it is my 1st project boat (and 1st Boat period). Hopefully it will be a great learning experience. But, i have many question because it is my 1st boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

View attachment 163475View attachment 163476View attachment 163477
This is my motor and drive unit. As you can see my drive unit needs a paint job bad. I think it used to have an alternator on the front. You can see a broken bolt in a hole on the front. There is red wire going to the starter from that area. I am pulling the motor soon to see what the screeching noise is that is coming from with in. Hopefully nothing that can not be fixed. I did toy with the idea of replacing it with the 4.3 v6 mercruiser. Since I have to do floor anyway, i could change the motor mounts. But....I don't know.

If you are going to go to a 4.3 you will also need the matching outdrive........ :(

I have looked at your posts and you might have a ton of work ahead. There is an epoxy supplier in NH which might be cheaper and less shipping just google epoxy NH ;)

You are a critical place....... you could be looking at allot of work (more than expected) and you also want to do engine work. I would do some deeper investigating and then sleep on it.

There have been some excellent "project" candidates on CL recently in my area that have been tempting and I understand your dilemma perfectly.

My suggestion is to cut a hole in the deck and do some exploring of the foam and stringers ........look at the inside of the transom too. What you find could make the decision for you. Good luck.

Trooper82

Commander

View attachment 163472View attachment 163473
these are the cracks in the fiberglass in the motor compartment/ bilge area.

Is this just gelcoat cracking off the glass or is it through the laminations?

View attachment 163474
this is the ski locker, notice the hanging plywood. Every cross member in here looks really bad.

I noticed the water first!

Is this able to drain out?

When you reach up in there...is the deck falling out? If so I'd think the first order of business is to rip out the deck...might want to start with small sections to see how far things have progressed...

Others might have different ideas...

emoney

Commander

Welcome to iboats. Don't worry, there's tons of help around here but sometimes it takes a day or so for the "answer person" to come along. Just keep at, and always post pics to go with the questions. As to scratches like above, I'd shelve that until I got some of the more pressing things handled since it looks to be purely cosmetic. Like the final pic, anyway.

If you haven't done so yet, find the "Hull Xtension Thread" by 1 of our Mod's, "Oops". There is probably every answer you need in it. Yes, it's going to take a LONG time to read through, but you will be glad you put in the time when you're through. Lots of real pros at this "resto" stuff have weighed in on it and that's invaluable. Shoot, I'm not even doing resto stuff, but that thread has motivated to build my own anchor pulpit.

Good luck and we look forward to watching your progress.

RCrockett

Seaman

I noticed the water first!

Is this able to drain out?

Yes the water can drain out, I have it sitting with the nose bow low at the moment. I will have to check if it is just the gelcoat. I plan on taking up the deck, a little at a time, to see how far it has gone. I planned on doing this when i got the motor out. Unfortunatley, I am laid up at the moment. I SOOO want to be out working on my boat. I will try to get into the boat tomorrow to see if it is just the gelcoat.

RCrockett

Seaman

You are a critical place....... you could be looking at allot of work (more than expected) and you also want to do engine work. I would do some deeper investigating and then sleep on it.

I have read through a recent post on another guy on here that did a floor stringer replacement on the same boat that I have. I have also watched several videos from FriscoJarrets and have a pretty good idea of what i am looking at. I know it will be Major hours of work. I hope I am up to it.

I am right on the fence of fix or forget it. Leaning more towards fix it. I just wish i was out there working on it right now.
I will check into the NH Epoxy thing. Thanks

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-11 10.54.47.jpg
I was able to get in the boat and check this out. I was able to get behind it and break some away and it revealed this. This is in the area of my motor mount. URGH, it is really bad. I got into the sides and it was not as bad, mostly dry wood there. I have not drilled to check out my foam yet. My hope is it is confined to the middle bilge area. All of my soft spots seem to be in the middle. I do not see any crack in the transom area so i hope it has not gotten in there.

If I drill into the transom area and find good wood....What do I fill the holes with? I saw this in a post somewhere but do not remember where.

Trooper82

Commander

easiest/best to use 3M 5200 to fill the exporatory holes. Those pics you just took are they from down low in your bilge? I see that same pattern on the transom so kinda hard to tell....

RCrockett

Seaman

It is hard to get in there and get good pictures with the motor still there. This picture is from the front motor mount about half way up. I hope to pull the motor soon and give it all a good thorough going over. I hope to get back into it today to peel back the carpet and drill a few holes to at least check out my foam.

RCrockett

Seaman

If you haven't done so yet, find the "Hull Xtension Thread" by 1 of our Mod's, "Oops". There is probably every answer you need in it. Yes, it's going to take a LONG time to read through, but you will be glad you put in the time when you're through. Lots of real pros at this "resto" stuff have weighed in on it and that's invaluable. Shoot, I'm not even doing resto stuff, but that thread has motivated to build my own anchor pulpit.

I found that thread and you are right there is a lot of reading there. I also just reread this thread.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=536467
I have gotten a lot of inspiration from this. A long time ago i made a cedar strip canoe and did all the glassing on it. So i have had a little experience with glass and resin.

RCrockett

Seaman

OK, with the help of my lovely wife (wearing her pink "Tom Boy Tools" work belt) we removed the carpet and drilled a couple test holes.2012-08-11 14.24.12.jpg2012-08-11 19.52.57.jpg2012-08-11 19.43.26.jpg
in one of the pics you can see the 4" hole I shredded through. Another pic is the stringer in the aft section of the ski locker. The Last pic is of the area around the ski locker.

No Doubt about it, water has gotten into my floor. But only on one side. The other side is completely dry. After I pull my engine I will see about the transom and motor mounts.

I am thinking that depending on what i find in the engine, I might scrap the whole thing. But every time I look at her I think it will a great boat when I am done with her.

RCrockett

Seaman

2012-08-11195257.jpg

trying to get better pictures for you gusy to view. I am trying photobucket as suggested by someone in another thread.

Here is the pic of my floor after i drilled a test hole in the floor to look at my foam. as you can see in the picture i shredded through the deck. the foam underneath is soaked. I drill another hole in the other side and everything was nice and dry.