1981 Bayliner Victoria 2750 - Restore or Bust

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Happy Anniversary!

Most of what has been happening lately has been more of the same. We block sanded the last coat of paint, and I shot a new coat two nights ago. This time I thinned it a tad more and it came out glassy like the first coat.

Last night we drilled and used an extractor on the sheared off bolt that usually hold the cone-shaped prop nut on the shaft. Mission accomplished.

Won't be long before I need to start planning to put the poor boat to bed for the winter. Last year's tarp is worn through in a lot of spots now, so we'll be contemplating improvements to the frame to reduce that happening so quickly next time.

saginawbayboater

Last year's tarp is worn through in a lot of spots now, so we'll be contemplating improvements to the frame to reduce that happening so quickly next time.

More of an abrasion proof condom perhaps? :noidea:

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Wow! GW's...
Really nice forward motion goin on...lower looks all nice and fresh, 'specially that VP badge! Sharp, gents...:D

GWPSR

Last few days have involved Goof-Off, Scotchbrite pads, a toothbrush, paint stripper, sandpaper, spot putty, and then finally, tonight, I applied primer to the flywheel cover and outdrive helmet. I hope to get a couple of coats of top coat on them while this week's warm weather holds on. The helmet will be the same color as the outdrive, and the flywheel cover will be Penta red.

GWPSR

After priming (no pic apparently, I'm slipping...) the flywheel cover is redder than it has been in a long while:

20140930_181139.jpg

Yes, there is masking on the appropriate surfaces.

A little paint on the helmet:

20140930_181151.jpg

Stripper on the manifold, before:

20140930_181159.jpg

and after:

20140930_184714.jpg

I'll do some additional prep with the cup brush and maybe a die grinder before priming and painting this piece.

Mikeopsycho

Looking mighty fine! It's amazing what a little paint can do. :joyous:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looking mighty colorful :thumb:. don't give in to the temptation to distract yourself with house painting or other such things.:lol:

GWPSR

Some more painty updates:

I forgot to take a pic of the totally stripped part, nor the manifold after treating it with rust converter, Imagine the following picture with a more bare metal appearance (and no masking), and a totally black finish. This is the manifold with Rusty Metal Primer on it:

20141006_172302.jpg

And then after two coats of purty redness:

20141007_181511.jpg

Yes, it really is that shiny and red. Very.

And the motor mounts got the same treatments:

20141007_181518.jpg

20141007_181524.jpg

zool

Captain
Some more painty updates:

I forgot to take a pic of the totally stripped part, nor the manifold after treating it with rust converter, Imagine the following picture with a more bare metal appearance (and no masking), and a totally black finish. This is the manifold with Rusty Metal Primer on it:

20141006_172302.jpg

And then after two coats of purty redness:

20141007_181511.jpg

Yes, it really is that shiny and red. Very.

And the motor mounts got the same treatments:

20141007_181518.jpg

20141007_181524.jpg

Thats one the the many things I like about Volvo setups, the red and black components look great, with a white bilge background.....and .the red mounts will give it even more of a 'pop'....

GWPSR

Thats one the the many things I like about Volvo setups, the red and black components look great, with a white bilge background.....and .the red mounts will give it even more of a 'pop'....

Hmmm ... maybe it's time to polish the carb to a mirror finish ... :) A little tire shine on the hoses ...

mavimusa

Recruit
Your work looks great. I appreciate what you have done I have a 32' Bayliner 3150 conquest that I'm doing the same thing. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

You have worked a lot faster than I. I get distracted a lot and don't generally have a helper.

Can't wait to see it on the water.

GWPSR

After occupying myself blocking some Bondo work on my truck, there was still some Saturday left to waste. So I grabbed some scrap angle iron and fabricated a pair of new brackets for the tail lights on the trailer.

This weld looks like chickenshit, but it ground out nice.

20141025_170535.jpg

Attached them to the trailer:

20141025_175709.jpg

20141025_175729.jpg

20141025_175745.jpg

20141025_175754.jpg

Gave 'em a light coat of primer to keep the flash rust off.

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey GWPSR

Been awhile since I wrote but your coming along nicely, Well I have come to a point I am selling Blue Grandma:blue: The admiral says so but we got a new boat a 26' Clipper Marine it powered by green energy if I ever learn how to use that propulsion aspect of the boat :rolleyes: glad to see you guys are still at it cant wait to see it on the water I will be watching. Havent sold it yet no serious buyers so if you know any one looking let them know

GWPSR

Hey GWPSR

Been awhile since I wrote but your coming along nicely, Well I have come to a point I am selling Blue Grandma:blue: The admiral says so but we got a new boat a 26' Clipper Marine it powered by green energy if I ever learn how to use that propulsion aspect of the boat :rolleyes: glad to see you guys are still at it cant wait to see it on the water I will be watching. Havent sold it yet no serious buyers so if you know any one looking let them know

I used to sail with my father as a child. You'll have a blast! Looks like a roomy cabin design from what I saw online.

GWPSR

Happy Thanksgiving GW!

Thanks SBB! To you and yours as well.

There was meat cooking behind the boat today, but definitely no boat work while it cooked. I froze my stern off while the turkey was frying. Brrr!

Everything was delicious though, and I'm just waiting for the after-dinner coma to set in. :)

GWPSR

Andy Miller over at Boatworks Today just finished an experiment on gelcoat over epoxy. Before anyone says that you can't gelcoat over epoxy again, watch these two vids:

and

He says he will add detail concerning the setup to his website http://boatworkstoday.com/, but it isn't there yet. (the results video was just posted a few minutes ago:) )

Very cool results. I'll probably still use paint, but it's nice to know what's possible.