Deck restoration - Deck paint over poly resin

CILO

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I'm in the process of completing my deck restore and decided to go with painting my deck with Rustoleum marine paint and later making a snap-in carpet to lay over. My question is, in applying my final coat of resin on the deck should i add wax to the resin or will i get better adhesion leaving the resin unwaxed and painting over that? Also, is there any difference between Rustoleum marine and regular rustoleum industrial oil based?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Deck restoration - Deck paint over poly resin

Gelcoat might be better than deck paint . . .

The wax allows the surface of the poly resin to cure, so you need that. Then you will want to remove the wax and sand the surface in preparation for the paint.

Sooo, a better approach might be to do the poly resin with no wax and then gelcoat with wax and you are done.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Gelcoat might be better than deck paint . . .

The wax allows the surface of the poly resin to cure, so you need that. Then you will want to remove the wax and sand the surface in preparation for the paint.

Sooo, a better approach might be to do the poly resin with no wax and then gelcoat with wax and you are done.

^^^^^ Just like he said.

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

Understood, guess i gotta put in another order to us composites. Next question, how much gelcoat would i need to cover a 6x13 area? Also, how many coats would be needed?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Im not sure..but I think having carpet over the Rusto is not a good Idea.

Gelcoat would be a better product for that application as already stated.

YD.