Can I use a Scupper for a Bilge Pump Thru-Hull

My boat has a large thru-hull fitting on the starboard side....The hole is the size that a 1.5" Scupper would fill perfectly. However I need to have an exit for the bilge pump.
I've never used a scupper for this, so I don't know what the result could be.

The other possibility is a thru-hull that fits the big hole opening, no scupper, and is for a 1-1/8" hose. But I have yet to find one. I would like to find it in stainless too, as that will match all the other hardware.

Edit: I guess I could always remove the rubber scupper flap, and then use hose/adapters on the inside to bring it down to the right size hose for the bilge pump. I'd sure like to avoid all the extra connections though.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can I use a Scupper for a Bilge Pump Thru-Hull

My boat has a large thru-hull fitting on the starboard side....The hole is the size that a 1.5" Scupper would fill perfectly. However I need to have an exit for the bilge pump.
I've never used a scupper for this, so I don't know what the result could be.

The other possibility is a thru-hull that fits the big hole opening, no scupper, and is for a 1-1/8" hose. But I have yet to find one. I would like to find it in stainless too, as that will match all the other hardware.

Edit: I guess I could always remove the rubber scupper flap, and then use hose/adapters on the inside to bring it down to the right size hose for the bilge pump. I'd sure like to avoid all the extra connections though.

Ayuh,.... In my experience, scuppers are Too Low,...

Yer bilge pump line, would become a siphon tube, fillin' the bilge...

Ayuh,.... In my experience, scuppers are Too Low,...

Yer bilge pump line, would become a siphon tube, fillin' the bilge...

I'm not trying to use a scupper so it can be placed low, rather because the hole is so big in the side of the boat, for what should be the bilge pump thru-hull

To make things clear, at this point I'm asking if anyone has seen a big thru hull with a small hose connection on the inside.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Pix may help clear up some misunderstanding, but a large outside 'cover' with a smaller hose connection on the inside, isn't something I've seen. Not that it isn't available....

Might find something that would adapt the inside of the large thru hull fitting to the smaller bilge pump hose...