Handrail condensation

markatterson

Recruit
I have a 2006 Nautic Star 205 dc deckboat and i have a problem with rusty brown water leaking out of the bases of the grab rails along the sides. Has anyone ever had this problem and is there a fix? The rails are bolted from below so taking them off is not an option.
thanks
Mark

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Handrail condensation

are you in fresh water or salt water? my guess is salt water and you have rust streaking

unfortunately you would have to take them off to fix anything. its just bolts. granted you have to pull upholstery, etc to get under the top edge of the cap to get to them, however its just bolts.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Handrail condensation

The rails are bolted from below so taking them off is not an option.

Sure it is :) ..

Lift UP on the forward bolsters to unclip them .. or they Might have Christmas tree fasteners holding them on .. for some stupid reason on the outside chance..they Might have screws in the 'cording' of the bolsters.

They Do come off one way or another.

Sounds like a case of improper welding with the nuts to the rails. Or it could be rust coming from the end cut of the tubing going into a 'non drained' base.

You could try to Drill a hole in the bases ( 1/8"ish ) to let water drain out.

I hate those bases that are completely bedded or capped at the bottom.. then sleeve a tube into it. Where is the water gonna go ?

YD.