Tried this sealer anyone?

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thompsons waterproofing. read the description and application process
For protection that helps enhance and maintain wood's natural color, Thompson's? WaterSeal? Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector gives you beautiful protection against damage from water and sun and provides a mildew resistant coating. Its oil-enriched formula provides long-lasting protection for all types of wood.

?Provides complete protection for outdoor wood surfaces
?Protects wood against the sun's UV rays
?Protects wood against mildew damage
?Recommended uses - decks and fences, outdoor wood furniture, exterior wood
?Application tools - apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style sprayer is simplest method.
?Dry time - Allow at least 48 hours to dry.

Brand Name: Thompson's Water Seal

Vendor: Thompson's WaterSeal

has anyone actually put this in a pump up sprayer and sprayed the wood? this sound either way to easy or not realistic. i mean would this seal the wood properly. i would think it would leave voids in the wood. if not ill do this. it would save plenty of time.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Tried this sealer anyone?

ii built a pontoon boat out of wood and 55 gallon drums last year...when i had all the frame and supports together, i used that thompson's product and put it in my pump sprayer (2 gallon capacity) and it covered the wood nicely...could get it sprayed into all the cracks and corners and what not.

i just dont think it's an everlasting product...decks and outdoors exposed woods need a recoating every so many years, since they are exposed to the elements. not sure how well it would do in boat construction

jbcurt00

Staff member

+1 for mrd's advice that it's not intended for use in boats

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally just based on deck finishing experience (cedar house deck) - i would not steer anyone towards Thompson or similar products. Just haven't seen people have much success - an penetrating oil or oil stain is what i would use. Similar to a popular (among pros) product like ReadySeal (many similar these days). Gets into the wood and sticks around!

I guess i don't know what your use is exactly...but just my 1cent

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I've used it on the job site and at home, it's pretty weak and does need to be reapplied.

Thompsons is little more than mineral spirits and parrafin wax, it can't be painted over and won't be a bonding surface for adhesives like carpet glue and such.

Compared to 2 part epoxy resin, there is no comparison. 2 part epoxy resin is a very tough and long lasting sealer, it's like a sheet of glass between your wood and the elements.

DSC02217.jpg

4 coats of epoxy resin will outlive you and maybe your grand children too.

rhtmarine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best sealer is CPES made by Smith and sons...