need a slippery surface for battery box

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just put new outdoor carpet in my boat, and by battery boxes are slid under the back seats. What can i attach to the underside of the battery box permaently to make it slide better? the plastic box itself, when pulled (because its so heavy with the battery) takes a toll on the carpet and it will wear a hole in no time. I don't have to take it in and out all the time, but if i need to, i'd like something under it. I'm thinking about maybe getting those mini "furniture mover" discs and double sided tape them to the bottom.... sound good or is there something better? (There is no room to lift it out, it has to be slid)

Re: need a slippery surface for battery box

Don't add it to the battery box, add it to the boat.
Some cut up cutting board screwed down, and the battery boxes will slide great. Just make sure they are strapped down or fastened securely front to back and side to side.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Don't add it to the battery box, add it to the boat.
Some cut up cutting board screwed down, and the battery boxes will slide great. Just make sure they are strapped down or fastened securely front to back and side to side.

Yes! Walmart sells cutting boards made from plastic and they make excellent bases to attach to the deck and attach tie downs to the cutting board. Great idea.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

if that idea doesn't work for ya, try a small teflon pad....tow truck drivers put them under car tires to slide parked cars onto their truck across concrete

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Or you could try Wrapping the box with the same O.D. Carpet ( face to face on the bottom ).

Wrap/Overlap the top enough to get it in the straps and enough to grab hold of it when you want to Slide it out and back into place.

YD.