1982 B&D Cheetah 176

Leori

Cadet
I blame my best friend, he bought a boat, i fell in love with it, and had to get one myself.
Purchased a 1982 Arrowglass Cheetah, has mercruiser 485 4cyl and 485 outdrive, and as i found, a LOT of work to be done. But the "Arrowglass" hour meter only reads 380 hours on the boat total.
Tore out the carpet and up the decking (marine board) and am about to glue down the new carpet tomorrow, Had a couple soft spots, but the new decking solves that :) just got done fiberglassing it over and smoothing the seams.

Motor starts up pretty easy (once you have a battery with enough charge to do so, haha) but i had a few concerns, previous owner had said it has some slight knock in april, and that it had low oil pressure, seeing that the filter was rusted around the lip, i decided to do an oil change. I didn't know that the reason the dipstick was threaded was for an evacuator, and being a manager for a corporate auto lube company, i just went about it with the drain plug in the bilge. I grabbed a plastic gallon ice cream container and proceeded to drain the oil after warming the engine, about a quarter of a quart at a time, making trips to dump it in the waste oil tank in the garage... 22 trips later, exhausted from climbing in and out of her one handed balancing a container of hot oil, i was exhausted. The concern i had, was that the oil that came out was a bit milky looking. My merc 185 has a coolant setup with a heat exchanger (uses glycol based coolant) and the coolant was not low, nor did it even look bad at all, just a little dark from age. Wonder if it'll be okay, or if i'm in for trouble. When i ran it before changing the oil, she had built solid pressure in the cooling system, and it would appear that the upper tank has been replaced rather recently.

Prevoius owner was wonderful to have already updated the alternator to a much newer style, and also at the same time did away with the points and went electronic ignition.

Tracked down the 30weight oil that it calls for in the owners manual, filled her up and fired it up on the muffs, and she purred, no more knock. Wonder if the filter similar to a car, was starving the motor of oil. Though i did notice with oil cap off, that not much oil flows in the upper galley under the valve cover, though pressure reads in the green on the gauge, and it's right on the full mark on the dipstick.

Pretty sure i'm in for replacing the steering cable, as the wheel won't move, nor will the outdrive, though he just had it out 4 months ago and was fine? The helm is free, and you can see where the helm turning flexes the cable, but i also noticed that i have power steering, and am unable to see a lot of fluid flow in the pump (has a gm-saginaw style). But, even without the pump, it should still turn, even with the engine off right? Wondering how hard it's gonna be to replace that steering cable.

Trim down works fine, but trim up doesnt work on the trailer or the trim up buttons on the throttle. I decided much like jump[ing my old ford maverick across the solenoid, i could find out if it was bad? as it wasn't even clicking, that did the trick, put the trim up, gotta get a new trim solenoid, should i replace the trim sensors? (black discs on the sides of the outdrive) while i'm at it?

Still looking for the shop vac to get all those leaves and crap out of the bilge... may end up with a new one from wal-mart this week.

But all in all, i'm excited to have her as a project to restore, i really love the sterndrives. can fish, pull a tube or ski all in once, and enough space for us! (and definitely not as bouncy on the waves as my uncle's pontoon)

Advice, tips, and suggestions are all greatly appreciated.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1982 Arrowglass Cheetah 176

congrats on your boat,wheres the pics at though? everyone on iboats is a pic junky.

Leori

Cadet

IMG_20120715_111430.jpgIMG_20120715_111445.jpgIMG_20120715_111500.jpgIMG_20120715_111510.jpg

This is her, with a really nice multi-piece bimini :)

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congratulations. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's not an Arrow Glass. As far as I know, the Arrow Glass model Cheetahs were only tri-hulls. I did some research on the HIN of my 84 Cheetah 166 and it was built by now defunct B&D manufacturing in Illinois. I really like the convertible style top.

Leori

Cadet

Oh crap, HAHA yeah she's a B & D... ./facepalm i got to thinking i had seen that somewhere, and i went out and looked at the capacity plate, says B & D Marine Co

Leori

Cadet

Well, decided to fire her up on muffs again today, and it would seem that my knock is back, but only in low idle? if you give her any throttle it dissappears all together, it's a rather dull low thudding that is rhythmic, and sounds like it's coming from the very back of the motor, in and out of gear no problems, revs without any hesistation, and at high idle when she first starts, runs smooth, just when it's idling with no load at about 1000 RPM or less (according to the tach) definately not from the front of the motor, but with the way she's built, i can't really tell the echo, and don't feel anything in the motor when it does it with a hand on the valve cover, motor isn't twisting or anything funny with the knock. I keep thinking about the oil being milky when i changed it, still looks nice and clean, and the coolant still completely full as it should be.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like something you will want to rip into if you plan on keeping and really using

Leori

Cadet

Well, took her out on the water yesterday for the first time after laying the new carpet, boat full of friends, and spent maybe 40 minutes. Got her to launch the first time, and she wouldn't fire up, not even a click from the starter solenoid.... pulled her back up to the parking lot, went through, and after some troubleshooting with a test light found out my hourmeter is shot, unplugged boat fired right up, so we took her out. Cruised around a while, getting her up to plane, and then heard the light tapping return, but this time not at low idle, but while running..... brought her to slow, and low and behold she died. Motor locked up tight.. paddled her back to the ramp (we didn't stray that far, about an hour or so paddling) and got her back on the trailer, had a picnic overlooking taylorsville dam, and took her home.

Thisafternoon when i got off work, came home, and started troubleshooting, took off the valve cover and low and behild, cyl #4 has two bent pushrods, just picked em out, and motor still not turning..... she's shot. To top it off, the Throttle only button on the quicksilver commander controls, fell out.... took 30 minutes to find it... and figures out that the new trolling motor doens't fit the bracket at the bow... :facepalm:

It's been one of those days where everything i touch falls apart

Can't even turn it over with a 4 ft breaker bar in either direction...

threw the cover back on, and parked it...

decided to name her "Taking up Space"

Still researching what i can use to re-power with minimal effort that won't require a new outdrive.

Now the search begins for a 3.7L

Pics are of the pushrods, and under the valve cover. Also noticed some rust on the valve retainers on cyl number 4 only.

Debating between repower or rebuild.... i really like this engine, fairly simple in design, and before it committed Motor-cide was a lot more power than i expected for a 4-cyl

Wonder if moderators can change the thread name, as we've foudn out she's not an arrowglass, but a B & D 176

Attachments

• IMG_20120722_200104.jpg
    IMG_20120722_200104.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20120722_200053.jpg
    IMG_20120722_200053.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20120722_200042.jpg
    IMG_20120722_200042.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member

Go to your first post.

Click edit post

click go advanced

Up at the top there should be a box of text that reads:
[h=2]1982 Arrowglass Cheetah 176[/h]
Just change it to what ever you'd like

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

first off, welcome to iboats, and "the Drydock"
and also welcome another boater in Louisville!!!

one of the things you mentioned in the beginning has me a bit concerned...you mentioned some soft spots in the floor...9 times out of ten, this is also a sign of rotten stringers. rotten or soft wood usually starts at the bottom and works it way up to the top.

all and all, from the pictures, she looks like a fun lil project.
I'll look through my spare parts, but i think have some spare solenoids, for the trim pump, laying around

Leori

Cadet

I was worried about the soft spots in the floor as well, but when i did sampling of the stringers and such, by drilling inspection holes, they are rock solid and dry as a bone, and look new? the soft spots were someone's failed attempt at replacing the upper deck section and did a poor job fiberglassing it... easy enough they did the hard work! Just tore out the old floor upper , layed the new marine board, glassed it in, and re-carpeted, not a soft spot on deck now!

Got the trim solenoids corrected, was a cheap part, bass pro had them on hand for like 20 bucks. and my newb-ish-ness i realized you can't use the trim up button past the safety stop from the limiters, trailer button worked just fine, and now it's fully functional.... now to just get a motor....

Thinking i'll drop another 3.7L as i really like the design and it seems incredibly simple to work on, i found a place that remanufactures the engines as-new in michigan, just a weekend drive, for about 2800, comes with everything except the external engine dress!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

some people love the merc 470 based engines, some hate them..
not sure about cost of rebuilding the lower end...but the head should be fairly inexpensive and bulletproof...the head is one head off of a ford 460 v8

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thinking i'll drop another 3.7L as i really like the design and it seems incredibly simple to work on, i found a place that remanufactures the engines as-new in michigan, just a weekend drive, for about 2800, comes with everything except the external engine dress!

Is that a reman'd marine 3.7L? I can't tell you which parts & pcs are different marine vs auto/truck but it's not just the spark arrester components in the start/ignition/fuel system....

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if i'm not mistaken, i believe the entire mercruiser 470 family, including the 485, is not based off of a car/truck engine. Mercruiser designed that series of engines based off of their own engineering...aluminum block with steel sleaves??...but they did you the engine head off of one side of the ford 460 engine

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great, even if 'only' half a V8, the $2800 sounded low for a reman'd engine, esp a marine engine. Adding marine to the front of anything seems to also cause the marine rated item to be partially cast in gold:D

Probably should have also said: None of the little I know about boat motors includes anything related to an IO:facepalm:

'Cept marine not auto/truck...

Leori

Cadet
Re: 1982 B&D Cheetah 176

It's for a true marine engine remanufactured, doesn't come dressed, but it's from MichiganMotorz.com

here's the link to what i'll be getting for her http://www.michiganmotorz.com/37l470-inline-marine-engine-197689-p-628.html

talked to them on the phone today, it's a direct swap, yank mine out, drop that one in. THey kill you on shipping and a 400.00 core charge, BUT, being that i live in Louisville Kentucky, they are a weekend trip away, and i have family around Jackson anyway. So i can pull mine, strip it down, find out what else i'll need to replace as i do so, take my block and head up there and basically trade mine + 2899.00 for the reman'd one. I also foudn out they use something called speedi-sleeves on the cam seals? I thought i saw a post somewhere that they are recommended as that is a weak point on the engine.

The 3.7L is a Mercruiser designed and built block, with a 460 head for sure, doens't even have a chance at using a ford starter, waterpump (for the coolant OR seawater side) about the only thing i've found that i can interchange with an automotive part so far, is teh starter solenoid, as the one on my ol' Ford Maverick is the same exact part.

For that money, that's a LOT less expensive than a repower, and since the leg has allready been rebuilt about two years ago, it would be a lot easier, and i think more economical. Thank god i have a hoist tall enough and the trailer sits low enough to get that bugger outta there though, haha

Though for a second, i did look through their other engines, the 3.7L isn't the cheapest, but i don't know that i want to push my rig around the lake with a 3.0L, and i definately don't want the fuel mileage that the V8's have... that and then you have to buy all the manifolds, and dressings, which when done still put it at a LOT more cost.

I thought about rebuilding mine, but discovered that because she's such an old engine, that the crank was hard to find, and when you do, it's expensive! Cheapest crank i found was 1200, unless you go used....

I figure with a Reman'd rig, i'll have years of trouble free operation, so long as she's maintained right and i keep an eye on the problem areas. Fortunately i've allready got everything for the alternator conversion, since it's been done to my boat, and i'm considering deleting the power steering (don't think it was working anyway) the heat exhanger, manifolds, and oil cooler bolt right up, and i'll just re-use mine, provided they are in good shape and clean up well :)

They also sell turn-key engines that are a fully dressed drop in, but those start at about 1,000 more than the 3.7, and they don't sell 3.7's fully dressed, just 3.0, 4.3, 5.7, 6.3, 7.4's in the carb'd family.

jbcurt00

Staff member

That all sounds great. The drive back will be all :D

Leori

Cadet

Well, i hope it's all smiles!

Buddy of mine and I went up to Muncie In. get a transmission for his torino, upgraded from an older sytle to one with overdrive and all,
We were all smiles, until this kid in a saturn cut off my f150, and the transmission broke free of the straps in the back of my truck and slammed into the bed against the cab! At least it was palleted and just busted a bunch of the wood :facepalm:

Learned the lesson, strap it in at the front of the truck, not at the anchors by the tailgate!

On a side note, i found some paperwork tucked in the glovebox of the boat, some really cool stuff for you other B&D owners, attached are the sales Borchures from Cheetah Boats for 1982. I have the second largest engine offered in the 176 i/o? and found out that the convertable top was factory, even the side window panels, and the rear panel. Though they were made by another company, both are now sadly out of business... i like the top!

Still trying to figure out how i'm going to compress the images, as they are "too large" to be uploaded to the forums.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, i hope it's all smiles! Buffy of mine went up.......(??:confused:??)

Still trying to figure out how i'm going to compress the images, as they are "too large" to be uploaded to the forums.

Photobucket:)