Gouge on bottom of fiberglass boat! Can I still use boat?

CheddaP

Recruit
Hi everyone... I made a dumb mistake today. I started up my boat and took off and forgot to pull up the anchor! The anchor was tied short since we were only in 5 feet of water. Anyway, at about 15-20 mph I realized my mistake when I heard my anchor banging against the bottom of my boat.

On land, an inspection revealed some surface scratches on the bottom of the boat and also one gouge about the diameter of a quarter. The depth of the gouge is probably 1/8 inch, no more than 3/16 inch. The gouge would be submersed in the water if I were to use the boat.

My Boat: 2007 Four Winns Horizon 220SS, fiberglass boat. I trailer the boat in and out of the lake with each use.

Here is my question! I plan on taking this to a fiberglass repair shop next week. But it's Thursday on 4th of July weekend, and I want to use my boat for the next 3 days! Do you think this is OK? Or should I keep it on dry land until repaired? I don't want to make matters worse!!!

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_1446.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gouge on bottom of fiberglass boat! Can I still use boat?

Go have fun!!! It will be fine until you take it to the shop

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gouge on bottom of fiberglass boat! Can I still use boat?

Who knows? The OP made 1 visit and 1 post and never returned. That's why we ask the old threads not be revived. Almost a year old.