18' aluminum 66 cherokee w/ 110 johnson... first project boat

This is my first REAL boat restoration project. I just got her home today. I been reading and trying to come up with a game plan on what to do, But I think I will hold off on idears until I tear the floor out tomorrow and inspect everything.. The interior was rotted and he had it all already stripped out.. But I took anything I thought i might still need for hardware or templates just in case.. Seems to be in descent shape so far.... I have searched and searched for any info on cherokee boats w/o much luck... If anyone knows anything or has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.. I cant wait to tear into this thing

Attachments

• 2012-07-02 16.54.56.jpg
    2012-07-02 16.54.56.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 18' aluminum 66 cherokee w/ 110 johnson... first project boat

First off, welcome to boats!
That's a neat looking boat. Being aluminum, it should be a breeze to restore That 110 johnson, if running, should give you may years of good use.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Here is a good suggestion so you can formulate a game plan. Aluminum boat restorations are easy and there are a few rules...... No pressure treated wood should ever be used since it attacks aluminum.

Read this link http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451 I suggest you read item #9 and your eyes will be opened.

Have fun with your project!!! Start looking at Rustoleum oil based enamel paints in the store which leads to the cheapest most used paint ;)

Start reading up on Gluvit which has been used in about 90% of the boats too.

Oh...... don't forget the trailer and have fun!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Is that a boat or a battle tank? That's one heck of a big closed bow!

Very cool boat, should be great if you have any "big" water around.

Post some pics of the inside so we can see what you have to work with.

thanks a ton bob!!!! Its a battle tank, thats what what caught my attention! I was looking for nothing like this until I found this boat and this site. No big big water here, but i thought it make a great cat boat and my kids would be safe and we could go anywhere around here with it... i had pics of inside but it was full of all the extras we threw in on ride home..I'll get plenty pics today as we tear floor out..

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They are built like a tank, just cut one up for scrap. The one I scrapped had cracked fixtures everywhere under the deck. Lots of freeboard and lots of room inside.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Now that is a super cool looking big boat!!!

Should make for a great project:)

Welcome to the iboats drydock:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is one big hunk o'tin. Welcome aboard. She should make a nice project. Have fun ad keep us posted.

Had a fun day demoing the old flooring... Everything went smooth except the foam under the bow.. still have just a tiny bit of foam to scrape then Im gonna power wash it clean and test for leaks.. Gonna do alot of research on here tonight few things. I have a bunch of new blue concrete solid foam board, does anyone know if I can use this? I had this leftover from a couple projects and do I need to use that same foam spray under the front bow? I am sure I will find an answer after I read similiar posts tonight... I also read some people doing w/o the cable type steering. Is this a concern? the plastic is a bit cracked but cables seem fine.. Aluminum seems to look really good so far... Lots of hornets nests in the hood, havent been through the motor yet... Idk just stuff going through my head... also tried cleaning the windshield, everyone thats seen it wants me to keep the vintage look but dont know how well this windshield will clean up? well here's few pics for now.. ill put couple more up later

Attachments

• 2012-07-02 16.55.21.jpg
    2012-07-02 16.55.21.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-07-03_12.58.27.jpg
    2012-07-03_12.58.27.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-07-03 11.53.09.jpg
    2012-07-03 11.53.09.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-07-03 13.51.06.jpg
    2012-07-03 13.51.06.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I had a long response and lost it. Here's the short version.

No spray foam. If the concrete foam is closed cell, it's fine. Otherwise the pink or blue insulation from the big box. Cut to fit for the entire under floor area.

Steering - if you're saying cable vinyl is cracked, I got this from the big box I matched the size with the old cable. I plan on getting this, includes a new wheel and can't beat the price.

Windshield - Your shield looks 1000X better than mine did. I used this method that Woodonglass posted a while ago, but still works great. Used the Turtle wax red and green compounds. Last week I got some Meguiars Plastx at the auto parts store and this really was the icing on the cake. The TW got rid of the scratches and the Plastx put the shine on her. And I can read through the plexi now.

I think that's about what I had earlier.

Thanks Ga boater, checked out all your links!!

I have the lil one today and waiting to get over to work on the boat... And the motor is going through my head... the old guy says it ran great. I have someone looking at it in a few days.. but I noticed the air silencer(?) breather like that goes over the carb is off and i called the guy who is an half and half away to ask him if i forgot anything.. he said he never had one on, its always ran fine... says the motor was made in 64 and couldnt find anything online on it.. i'm waiting to get the numbers off the plate and see what i can find... But curious to know how hard its gonna be to find parts if needed for this 110 Johnson? There is a guy around here with quite a bit of older parts my bud deals with him quite a bit and I'm hoping..

more work on boat today. Tore the dash out, took off windshield., fill it full of water to check for leaks... definetly a quite few leaks, everytime i told the ole guy i bought it off i was gonna check for leaks he said "that boat dont leak" I knew better... said same for motor i cant wait to jump into that..

i been stopping in every marina boat shop i pass and picking their brains, or trying to, on sealers, paints and deck layouts... I am not having luck with any of it, and i know i am over thinking everything.... I am gonna read up more on gluvit more tonight and go ahead and order it... i will need to cover all seams and rivets. I am gonna need to find out how much and where to get it.. So far I just looked on ebay...and what all can i use 3m 5200 on?

I'm hoping to get a nice size aluminum highway sign for deck from a friend, and have alot of polycarbonate sheets for sides boxes and other stuff.

I picked up a dozen self etching primer cans, and was gonna try Majic camoflage flat paint on outside since its cheap and just hoping to make a good catfishing boat, that the family can also enjoy.

I looked into diy bedliner products for the inside, but dont like what Im finding so now starting to look at carpeting. Trying to do this on a budget definetly isnt going as fast as I wanted, but i will get it done. any help or idears would be appreciated..

Today, got the whole boat powerwashed and cleaned up. I cant believe all the grud that came out of all the lil cracks and crevises.. Took the motor off the boat. still have to take the small stuff like horn pole holders to flip the boat over and work on the outside while I wait for sealer.. I think I am gonna just seal it from inside. Looked up gluvit and coat it last night. Still havent ordered yet.. Paint on outside seems really thin.. Can I prime self etching over these thin areas or does it have to be bare metal? rogress seems slow but hopefully get a lil done each day now

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Today, got the whole boat powerwashed and cleaned up. I cant believe all the grud that came out of all the lil cracks and crevises.. Took the motor off the boat. still have to take the small stuff like horn pole holders to flip the boat over and work on the outside while I wait for sealer.. I think I am gonna just seal it from inside. Looked up gluvit and coat it last night. Still havent ordered yet.. Paint on outside seems really thin.. Can I prime self etching over these thin areas or does it have to be bare metal? rogress seems slow but hopefully get a lil done each day now

edit

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

more work on boat today. Tore the dash out, took off windshield., fill it full of water to check for leaks... definetly a quite few leaks, everytime i told the ole guy i bought it off i was gonna check for leaks he said "that boat dont leak" I knew better... said same for motor i cant wait to jump into that..

i been stopping in every marina boat shop i pass and picking their brains, or trying to, on sealers, paints and deck layouts... I am not having luck with any of it, and i know i am over thinking everything.... I am gonna read up more on gluvit more tonight and go ahead and order it... i will need to cover all seams and rivets. I am gonna need to find out how much and where to get it.. So far I just looked on ebay...and what all can i use 3m 5200 on?

I'm hoping to get a nice size aluminum highway sign for deck from a friend, and have alot of polycarbonate sheets for sides boxes and other stuff.

I picked up a dozen self etching primer cans, and was gonna try Majic camoflage flat paint on outside since its cheap and just hoping to make a good catfishing boat, that the family can also enjoy.

I looked into diy bedliner products for the inside, but dont like what Im finding so now starting to look at carpeting. Trying to do this on a budget definetly isnt going as fast as I wanted, but i will get it done. any help or idears would be appreciated..

Good to hear you're making progress.

Check out the starcraft thread - page 4 and scroll towards the bottom, post # 95. EZ suggests about one quart for an 18 footer. My gluvit just arrived. Yay!!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=491394&page=4

a week to wait for sealer, so all the hardware off the boat and flipped...Glad we didnt take video of the process.. but its done... alot easier than than we made it for sure.. next time we know

Ok, adding to my lil boat documentary. after sanding on the boat lil every nite, I primed all the bare metal spots with self etching rustoleum primer. Then scuffed everything with 3m scotch pad, washed down dried then wiped with vinegar and water, dried then tack clothed. Ive went back and forth on what to do with paint. And finally decided it just a fishing boat, well sorta.. With it being in such a tight area and windy I decided to roll on Majic desert tan flat camouflage.. I will trim it out in flat black... I ordered samples of nautolex natural and sandstone for the flooring.. I also got in a quart of coat it.. I know everyone on here is big on gluvit but I will see how it goes.. still waiting on my highway signs decking, hope the come through.. Ill put up pics of the color tomorrow...

64osby

Admiral

Sounds like great progress. Let us know how the paint turned out.

I know there are a few here who have used the coat-it and been happy.

download.jpg
ready to flip