10 ft Pelican corner repair

HantsCounty

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, having issues with the two rear corners on my Pelican 10 ft boat. What happens is it gets dragged a little when loading, and no matter what I seem to put on it seems to rub off. The boat now fills up between the two parts of the boat making it VERY heavy. here are some pics. I have used Devcon 5min epoxy, its a two part. I have used Marine goop. Loctite 401 black max instant glue. Spray on rubber coating.......

Next I am going to try Loctite color coat. Same stuff you dip your wrenches in to get grip and to color code. Sees very strong. just unsure it will work with the boat flexing a little.. I do have a bunch of chunks of black high impact polly, if I could fasten or glue it to the boat somehow?

Thanks!!

IMG-20120701-00211.jpgIMG-20120701-00212.jpgIMG-20120701-00213.jpgIMG-20120701-00214.jpgWest Hants-20120630-00189.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 10 ft Pelican corner repair

Do a search on Youtube for plastic welding.

I would also consider Ptex which is used in plastic repairs for skis and snowboards.

With a bit of ingenuity you might be able to find a plastic cutting board or sheet to add onto those corners as wear surfaces....... you could do the wheel route too............ but, yes fixing that damage is important.

You could contact Pelican customer service to determine what type of plastic they used.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would sand off all the coatings down do fresh material.. then screw and glue ( with 3m 5200 ) a sheet of premade fiberglass that you made yourself on some waxpaper.

Basically layup some fiberglass mat on some flat waxpaper about 6 layers .. pop them off and cut to form your radi/shape in the corners..then scuff them good with some 80 grit and screw/rivet or whatever to the bottom corners with 5200.

YD.

PS. Plasic welding Might work..but its kinda close to the radi where it cut through.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I had a boat like this many years ago and had the same problem.

If you can't find a glue that will work, you could try this.

Clean up the corner and glass over it using it as a mold, wrap it around the sides and up the back, the resin won't bond and the part will pop right off. Now you have the exact right shape needed to do the repair. This piece can be glued and through bolted (many small bolts) to hold it in place. The glue is now acting more like a flexible gasket than an adhesive, so the bond isn't as important. Now it can be repaired easily in the future too.

This a simplified explanation and you will need more details to do it, but it will work.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Here's something to try...

Like YD and Bob VT suggested, Plastic welding...

As has been suggested, contact Pelican and find out what type of plastic they use...

Some of the possibilities include, but are not limited to;
Polyurethane, Polypropylene, Polyethyelene, Polycarbonate, Nylon, TPO, TEO, TPE...

Once you get that information, you can contact these guys for some of the appropriate plastic rods for your repair...

http://www.urethanesupply.com/

http://www.urethanesupply.com/Airless-Welders-1/Model-6-Airless-Plastic-Welder/Airless-Welders-1

Now get your propane torch and a piece of metal with a handle that you can heat up and use like a soldering iron...preferably with a somewhat flattened tip...look at the website I linked and look at their "Airless Plastic Welders", and look at the tips that come with the kit to get an idea of what I am talking about...

Heat it up, and use it to melt the plastic rod into the damaged area...of course, clean the area really good of all previous repair materials and wash the area with soap and water and let it dry thoroughly...

You may want to practice a bit on a top part of the boat, where a little damage won't be too noticeable or detrimental...

Once you get the hang of it, you can completely and thoroughly "weld" the damaged area to like new function...

Hope this helps and best of luck.
GT1M

fishrdan

Admiral

I had a boat like this many years ago and had the same problem.

Same here. The only thing that I found that would stick to the plastic was asphalt based roofing membrane. It created a pliable bond that would flex with the plastic and it stuck to the plastic really well, but it's not structurally strong. (It was a real PITA to clean off when I needed to replace the patch from wear-through) I wouldn't want it on an exterior surface or it will leave black asphalt marks all over the place.

I think making a thing fiberglass patch as Yacht Dr suggested will work, but you'll need something to bond it to the hull, that will allow the fiberglass patch to flex with the hull. Something like the super sticky rubberized asphalt compound used in the roofing membrane.

Plastic welding might be possible, depending on what type of plastic it's made from... If it's crosslinked polyethylene, you can't weld it. I picked up a plastic welding kit from Harbor Freight and welded a couple things with it, worked well.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I've done quite a bit of plastic welding, it works, but depending on the plastic I don't always trust it. It's one of the best first options though.

HantsCounty

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info guys. I had some sheets 3/8" high impact polyethylene, so I cut two corners out to match the boat. Used Devcon 2 part marine epoxy, glued the corners on the bottom and propped the boat up so its weight was only on the two corners. THAN the big part... Went and got a flat bed trailer off a local classifieds add site, 6ft x 7ft, got it for a great deal, $200. has a winch on the front so now I just back in the water, kick the boat in, than when I load it up I just hook it on the winch and pull it up without and effort or problems. SO no more dragging and no more propping it up than lifting it into the bed of my truck witch was the cause for the holes. Also no more loading and unloading than loading than unloading everything into the boat, saves so much time, and energy and back pain!