Lounge seat: seat base carpet edge trim?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I just got new seats built and installed in my 1972 boat as well as new carpet. The seat bases are all covered with the same carpet used on the floor. For some reason, they did not wrap the carpet around the bottoms of the seat bases of the rear lounge seats. These seats raise up so you can lay the entire lounge seat down flat as well as be able to access the space under the seats themselves for storing things. I would like to add some sort of edge protector to seal the bottom of the seat base carpet. I have thought about using some heavy duty vinyl corner guard and some other things. Any suggestions?

Here is a pic that shows the area I want to install the edge protection. It would be installed along the bottom of the seat base, not on the floor.

seat_carpet2.jpg

In addition to where the arrows are pointing, it would also be installed on the rear (left) bottom and opposite side of the seat base.

Here is a pic of what the bottoms of those seat bases look like and give an indication of why I want to protect the edge:

seat_carpet.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lounge seat: seat base carpet edge trim?

I'd use aluminum angle and Stainless screws. You can use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish to make the aluminum shine like chrome.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I'd use aluminum angle and Stainless screws. You can use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish to make the aluminum shine like chrome.

Thanks Wood. I was trying to stay away from a metal finish but it may be the best option. If I were to go that route, I would use countersunk SS screws to secure the vertical edge of the L angle bracket to the bottom of the carpeted side of the seat base and secure the horizontal edge of the L bracket to the plywood's edge with a good adhesive such as Liquid Nails...I don't want to have screws on that edge which could start to wear holes into the carpet on the floor.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Yea.. I see your problem..goofnuts for not wrapping the carpet.

Try some plastic plumbers tape ..

http://www.amazon.com/WM-Harvey-014653-Plastic-Plumber/dp/B000H5VQO2

YD.

Thanks. Yea, for the price I paid for the seats you would have thought they would have put a little more thought into some things. I keep saying that there are two key things about doing something like this seat and carpet job right...having it look good AND making it durable so it looks good for a reasonable amount of time. While it all looks great, I'm not so sure about the other point.

fishrdan

Admiral

Nice looking interior!

I like the aluminum L channel that WOG suggested. Or, HomeDePot has aluminum U channel that I've used to cap a plywood edge, you'll have to check and see if it's wide enough to cap the plywood AND carpet. Depending on what size screws you use, you might be able to countersink the holes on the bottom of the channel and flush the screws to the surface of the aluminum, I've done this before with #4 or #6 screws.

If you don't want the bright aluminum look, scuff the aluminum pieces with some sandpaper, a light coat of ZC primer, then several light coats of grey Rustoleum to match the carpet. I had several aluminum carpet trim pieces in my old boat, painted grey, and they held up very well. (My pieces were gold anodized, which was too bling for the ol' tub :D)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks. Yea, for the price I paid for the seats you would have thought they would have put a little more thought into some things. I keep saying that there are two key things about doing something like this seat and carpet job right...having it look good AND making it durable so it looks good for a reasonable amount of time. While it all looks great, I'm not so sure about the other point.

That seems its just the way it is now adays though..

Try that plumbers tape. I agree not to put metal down carpet to metal..

YD.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Try that plumbers tape. I agree not to put metal down carpet to metal..

YD.

I've never used plumber's tape before. What did you have in mind as far as where it would be secured? Around the bottom (thin) edge of the plywood and up over the end of the carpet? Or just use it to seal the area where the carpet ends on the bottom of the seat base?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Dan. I also thought about U channel...the plywood is 3/4" thick and the carpet about 1/4" so a 1" U channel just might do the trick.

Here's a better shot of the entire interior. Again, it looks great, it just lacks a little workmanship in the details.

IMG_0731.jpg

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

http://www.inprocorp.com/products/store/entity/tabid/59/c-185-tape-on.aspx

This might be a good option...the 3/4" 90 degree "no-tape" ones and then use flat head screws to fasten it to the carpeted side and a good adhesive on the bottom (plywood) edge.

Too bad the installer did not think about putting a trim...will be a pain to install with the seats in the boat especially the sides of the seat base that faces the side of the hull.

fishrdan

Admiral

Are you just trying to keep the edges of the carpet from unraveling, or do you want to cap it off? You can get carpet seam sealer from the big box stores that will keep the edges from fraying, but it's not going to be as permanent and long lived as trim will be.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Are you just trying to keep the edges of the carpet from unraveling, or do you want to cap it off? You can get carpet seam sealer from the big box stores that will keep the edges from fraying, but it's not going to be as permanent and long lived as trim will be.

Mainly to keep the edges of the carpet from unraveling and/or from coming detached from the plywood. I also want whatever I use to be either invisible or look nice. Would carpet sealer accomplish all of these things?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Update:

I ended up using 3/4" x 3/4" vinyl corner guard on the bottom edge of the lounge seat bases. The outside portion of the front of the base was tricky due to the base being cut at two different angles in order to accomodate the shape of the hull. It was also a little tricky getting the corners to match but I think it turned out pretty good. The little bumps you see are screw covers.
291303_3815436579007_1975865484_o.jpg 620928_3815425538731_1071412931_o.jpg