Fixing and restoring a 1967 Surf Tamer!

AaronSVS

Recruit
So i got my first boat and its a old 1967 surf tamer, motor runs great, definate wear and tare on the body only pproblem is, the wood deck under the fibreglass is soaked and i stripped the fibreglass off the floor to let it air out, its going on the water tomorow (with a person who does repair boats) to make sure the boats transom and general shell is in good condition, but my foremost issue is whether or not to replace the deck, I have some general carpentry skills but i have never ever worked on a boat let alone know the technical terms for her parts, any advice or help would be wonderful, i've read some forums and everyone seems rather knowledgable and i'm hoping i can be on the recieving end of some good advice!!!!

Trooper82

Commander
Re: Fixing and restoring a 1967 Surf Tamer!

Welcome to iboats...you found the right place for help...Lots of resto threads happening, but you will get help.

Guys on here know alot about fixing boats...you will learn alot. Pick a few threads and start reading, you will pick up the terms...

Good place to start is the Sticky's at the top of this forum...

Throw some pics up when you get a chance so we can have a look see.

Before you get too involved...make sure you have the right protection. fiberglass dust is nothing to play with...need to have a respirator with filters...you'll also need it when it comes time to start putting things back in. There is more, but you will be safe, and have fun fixing your boat...

AaronSVS

Recruit

thanks lots! im gonna start firbre glassing soon (Our first try) and the boat is having her motor given a once over! im really excited to get the bulk of this project underway. I would love to post pictures except i have nooooo idea how to on this site, for being a young kid im terrible with computers! If anyone could possibly tell me how to that would be great hahahaha

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The floor that I think you said you removed could be a big part of the structural strength of your boat. You might want to reconsider actually taking your boat out with this removed. My glass runabout floor was glassed into the hull, stringers, and transom. And I would never take it out on the water in that condition. Like others said, you have come to the right place if you want to fix it right. These guys are great here, and they know what will work and walk you through just about anything.

AaronSVS

Recruit

I really want to post some pictures but i cant figure out how to start a picture fold for people to view

Shorner2

Recruit

Looks like a long road ahead I have this same boat and rebuilt the entire boat from he hull out pulled the floor re did the stringers re engineered most of the whole boat. It's a nightmare but you never see this boat anywhere

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome to I boats, cool boat!! There are several guys that are the local experts, woodonglass, archbuilder, GT1000000 and friscoboater to name a few. I would highly recommend reading their threads before you get to far into tear down. I have learned a tremendous amount from this site and these guys. Good Luck on your boat!!!

Also get yourself a free photobucket account, load your pix in that, then copy the the "IMG" link, paste it straight into your comment, and it will load nice big pix......I say ts because it helps everyone help you, and if there are no pix, it did not happen. No matter how good the story is!!!!

Last edited:

Shorner2

Recruit
Pics are kind of bad. Don't have many pics of the restoration process but I did everything. Stringers, floor, transom. Made the whole motor mount out of 304 stainless steel. Put a lot of time into it. Have never taken it out without getting stopped by at least 1 person to ask about it. Not sure if I did this properly so let me know if you are able to see the pictures. Would've loaded pics on here 2 years ago but couldn't figure out how to do it. Won't let me load them through the site so here is a link I set up for photobucket as suggested to get them online http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/shorner2/library/?sort=3&page=1

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Shorner2, like Corgen1 said just paste the IMG link right into the text, no "loading" required (don't use upload from URL or the link button). If you get an error just refresh, everything will be there.

Shorner2

Recruit
Won't work for me it doesn't display pictures. That link takes you to the photo album. Good enough

jbcurt00

Staff member
Shorner, lets start by starting a Topic of your own about your boat. Aaron hasn't been back to HIS topic since you posted to it last 2years ago Then we'll help you post pix of your boat in YOUR boats topic

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
This 2 year old thread has been re-opened for over a week and it hasn't seemed to bother anyone, and I don't think the OP is going to complain since he hasn't logged onto the site in over 2 years.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Since there isn't any pix in Shorner's PB acct of his stainless steel motor mount/plate, and his project seems to be complete, fully functional and in use, I thought it better to have a Topic about HIS boat. If the stainless plate isn't what it sounds like, it could be a good resource and as such, it'd be GREAT to see ALL his pix.

IMO, that'd be best in his own Topic.

And if the plate is what's typical, that'd be even more reason to have it in his own Topic. If he wants help posting pix to iboats while the forum is in flux, I'll be glad to do it in a Topic he starts about his boat.

Good news, that's all just my opinion, as is yours that here in Aaron's is just fine ;)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Since there isn't any pix in Shorner's PB acct of his stainless steel motor mount/plate, and his project seems to be complete, fully functional and in use, I thought it better to have a Topic about HIS boat. If the stainless plate isn't what it sounds like, it could be a good resource and as such, it'd be GREAT to see ALL his pix.

IMO, that'd be best in his own Topic.

And if the plate is what's typical, that'd be even more reason to have it in his own Topic. If he wants help posting pix to iboats while the forum is in flux, I'll be glad to do it in a Topic he starts about his boat.

Good news, that's all just my opinion, as is yours that here in Aaron's is just fine ;)

You're absolutely right... and you'd think that someone would've picked that ball up when this thread was drug up from the archives a week ago.

I flagged this thread a few days ago and nothing has been said or changed so it must be ok.