MY NEW PROJECT.. 1976 AquaSport 19.6 Could Use A little advise

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,

Just picked up a new project. I just got a 1976 Aquasport center console 19.6 footer..
The hull seems to be in great condition as most of the floor and the transom... Pulled everything out of it today, Well just bout everything.. When I got the console off I noticed 2 soft spots on the deck.. There is one that is really soft right where the front of the console was, Right where fuel tank ends towards bow of boat and the other bad spot is at the rear of the console, Right on opposite end, This end is not that bad.. maybe a 10 x 2" section but the one towards bow of boat is about a 12" x 10" section that is real soft..

This is kind of my first time doing this... I have worked many times with fiberglass and gel-coat..
It looks like the deck is divided in 3 sections you can see the seems..

Do I cut out just the bad sections and patch them or do I Just change out the entire section of the bad spots??
In this case it would be 2 sections of the deck ( the front and rear sections )

I will be powering the boat with a 150 merc, Offsore 2-stroke.

Any advise is appreciated,

Thanks,

Ant...

PROJECT 1.jpgProject 2.jpgProject 3.jpgProject 4.jpg
Project 5.jpg

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MY NEW PROJECT.. 1976 AquaSport 19.6 Could Use A little advise

Heres the latest pics..

Project 9.jpgproject 8.jpg

Thanks,

Ant..

rickryder

Commander

I would start by opening up the damaged areas and see what's going on below....If the flotation foam is waterlogged you'll need to dig deeper. Post some pics of your findings.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

From what you describe .. just do the repairs independent of the panels.

You would destroy your deck panels if good wood is still bonded to them.

Scab your repairs in and make sure they are repaired good enough to take any kind of force that is handled in that area..if any..

I agree with Rick that you need to investigate where the rot starts and ends..you might have to go out further then anticipated..but who knows at this point :) ..

YD.

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome, Thanks for the advise, I will cut out a section of the rotted areas and post pics, Should have some time this afternnon as I get off work at 2pm today...

Thanks, And ill post pics of what I find...

Thanks guys,

Ant...

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Again guys,

Well I have cut out the bad sections and it was not that bad at all.. The rotted wood Has been removed from the deck..
Looks like the fuel tank was changed at one time and who ever did it did not do a very good job... Also looks like a 40 gallon
fuel tank in there, I am going to put my 60 gallon tank from the boat I just lost.. Well tomorrow I will finish getting all this cleaned up
and start getting ready to lay some fiberglass.. I will make a case for the fuel tank I am gonna put in and get that all water proofed..

Where should I go to get Marine grade plywood?
I was told to use 1708 fiberglass with an epoxy resin, Is this true?

Here are a couple pics and videos,

Deck 1.jpgDeck 2.jpgDeck 3.jpg

Videos Below

[video]http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&feature=vm&video_id=C_tKoEMG1N4[/video]

Will post more as I go, I will be working on it pretty much everyday for a few hours a day, Weekends I have all day, So I hope I am not land locked for too long..

Thanks,

Ant...

rickryder

Commander

You really don't need marine plywood....a good exterior plywood like underlayment and poly resin....you don't use 1708 with epoxy.... 1700 or cloth....no csm with epoxy and 1708 has csm on the back...

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello all,

I have started pulling all the old wood that the previous owner must have laid down and did not seal at all..
Grinnded some of the loose fiberglass away, Still have more grinding and sanding to do..
Once all grinded down and sanded smooth I will start to lay new wood and fiberglass..

I am not sure if this is correct as far as what fiberglass to use, Should I do Chop strand & then mat & chop strand again & more mat over that... Is this how how I should lay the glass? Also what should I expect to spend on materials?

Heres a short video of what I got done today...

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well Hello Again all,

I have finaly finished my project and I am now back fishing, Have not realy caught to much but I am back in the ocean.. Boat has been finished for a little while now..
Sorry been gone so long and have not updated post, Here are some pics.. I will get some more current ones for ya too.. Benn out on it probably 20 times now but still have the summer to go...

Total Project took me 9 months...

Ant...

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well Hello Again all,

I have finally finished my project and I am now back fishing, Have not realy caught to much but I am back in the ocean.. Boat has been finished for a little while now..
Sorry been gone so long and have not updated post, Here are some pics.. I will get some more current ones for ya too.. Benn out on it probably 20 times now but still have the summer to go...

Total Project took me 9 months...

Ant..

boat 1.jpg boat 5.jpg

boat 4.jpg boat 7.jpg

Boat 8.jpg

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0