So more aluminum boat floor replacement questions

cbreeze245

Cadet
Greetings,

Last year I purchased a 1987 14 1/5 aluminum Sea Nymph "fishing Machine" fishing boat. It is a solid boat in good condition and doesn't leak a drop of water. When I bought the boat I noticed that one small area of the floor was soft but decided not to worry about it and deal with it sometime in the future. Well, last year I had a local marina work on the boat and dropped it off covered tight as a drum. I picked it up in a hurry and didn't check it until I got home. Pulled it in the garage and pulled the cover off and drained 30 galons of water from the boat. Called the marina to complain but that went no where. Needless to say the water did not do the floor any good and now it is in pretty rough shape and getting very soft. I called several marinas who quoted me anywhere from $300.00 to $800.00 to do the repairs. This motivated me to look into repairing it myself.

Been cruising the forums and this site and am thinking I might try the project myself as the floor is in 4 different sections, the main one, with the soft section, is basically a large rectangle. The existing flooring appears to be screwed into some type of frame. After searching the various forums, I got the impression that marine ply was very expensive. I called Menards and they quoted me $50.00 a sheet for 1/2". I am frugal with my money but expected a much higher quote. Is there a special type of marine ply I would use or is this the going price?

I also understand that if I use marine ply, I can skip the waterproofing coating that I would have to use on regular plywood and simply glue the carpet to the marine ply. Is this also correct?

I have been looking around for marine/outdoor carpeting and found a marine carpet at Lowes that seems to be a good match to the existing carpet. My only concern is that the carpet I am focused on does not have a rubber backing. It appears that there are mixed opinions on using carpet that does not have a rubber backing and was looking for additional thoughts.

I appreciate any thoughts, comments or encouragment on this project. Since I build R/C airplanes this can't be that much more difficult, can it :) ?

Thanks in advance,

cbreeze

cbreeze245

Cadet
Re: Soe more aluminum boat floor replac ement questions

Sorry for the spelling error in the heading, I couldn't figure out how to make the necessary corrections.

cbreeze

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Some more aluminum boat floor replacement questions

Welcome to iboats and the dry dock cbreeze!

That sounds cheap for marine ply. While marine ply is higher quality you will still want to seal it to get the best life out of it if you go that route, especially if you're going to carpet it. That said most of us use Arauco ply if you can find it (usually 25 - 30 at the big box stores) but any ACX ply will work. The important part is to make sure water proof glue is used in its making.

Do some searching and reading of some of the Starcraft threads other than mine (I did a get me by bandaide for now) and you'll see the preferred methods of sealing and installation.

Finally here is the fix for your title and make sure to post up some pics - we love to see pics and follow along:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cbreeze - Welcome to the forums. On your question about the plywood, that is a good price for marine. As Truck said the marine ply should be sealed. Ply meant for exposure to the elements is laminated with water-proof glue but the wood is not treated so it can still suffer the consequences. Different plywoods cost more due to the quality of the wood used and the absence of voids in the interior plys.

Post some pics so we can see what you're working with and we'll guide you along. Have fun fixing her and using her after the fix.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Deck jobs on aluminum boats are pretty simple, and if you have the right tools it's a breeze.

I suggest you remover the decking from your boat before buying the new plywood, you may want to go with 3/4" instead of 1/2" later on.

Marine plywood will still need to be sealed unless it's specified on the stamp that it's presealed, and I'd probably put more on it anyway.

A lot of people have been satisfied with the carpet from HD and Lowes, there are better grades out there... but they're more expensive.

You may want to consider marine vinyl instead of carpet, it sheds water instead of absorbing and holding it like carpet does. This is what my vinyl job looked like after I finished:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=509163

Post some pics of your boat so we can see what you've got to work with and what you have under the decking when you remove it.

cbreeze245

Cadet

Thanks to everyone who replied so far. I will post some pictures as soon as I have a couple minutes of free time. In response to those who replied. I tried to make the necessary spelling corrections but must be having some type of browser problems. I am unable to access the buttons to make the necessary changes. More importantly, it seems that the Arauco marine ply is not available due to the plant being destroyed in a fire. I plan on using 1/2 inch something because that is what is currently in the boat and seems to work fine. I called 84 Lumber today and was told that they carry marine plywood in most any length and that the cost for a 8' section of 1/2" was about $60.00. When questioned about having to treat the ply to make it water proof the salesman stated that what they sold came with some type of plastic coating and that further treating wasn't necessary except for any cut edges. I have to look into this further. More to follow the posting of some pictures of my pending project.

Thanks everyone.

cbreeze

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd like to see a pic of that $60 sheet of plywood, and would really like to see a pic of the stamp on it.

I do remember one member here (I think it was Carpe Diem) that bought some sheet lumber with an epoxy coating on it, but it was more like an OSB product.

Who knows what they've dreamed up now, and I'm always interested in seeing new lumber products.