1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's confusing, this issue. Too many motors. lol, The 650 has 2 cylinders down on comp. They read like this. 120, 110, 95. The 850 has perfect compression. I think maybe 10lbs difference between the 4 cylinders. Just getting water in the cylinders. I think my best bet is to , for now, have the 650 rebuilt. And I don't mean tear it down, replace a couple of rings and that be it. If I'm going to rebuild, I'm going gung ho. All new pistons, rings, cylinders either honed or bored, etc. I only want to to this once. In the meantime, I have decided to redo my trailer over the winter as well. I have a Holsclaw with 4 coil springs and 2 shocks. Lol. So I will be juggling between the two projects. \Thank you for the input, it all helps... I will fix this 850 in time, it's just that it has more issues than just the water.

Man, were on the same wavelength. Not long after I got my 650 working, I was trying to get power trim for it and bought a '75 850. I got to looking at it and decided to do a compression test. It was like 130 on all four. So I fixed it up and i'm either going to sell it or put it on mine if the 650 goes (although i think its too much motor for the Ebbtide).

tallcanadian

Captain
I'm looking for power trim as well. I have an extra mid section from a 80hp but won't fit. A 50 4 cylinder will, go figure. I have the power trim pump and all the lines that works great. I just need the mid section with the shocks.

tallcanadian

Captain
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all my iboats friends. The nicest people I know are the ones on here that I've never met. Without all you kind folks here, this site would not exist. Thank you all for all your help and kindness. And I hope you all have a very HAPPY NEW YEAR as well.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Merry Christmas to you also tc And I agree with you about the people on this site including you some of the nicest and helpful people I never met.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Merry Christmas TC !!!
Hey , did you get that new ski boat for Christmas ? Awesome !!:D

tallcanadian

Captain
So I have the carbs removed of my 650 to clean them up. I ordered some carb kits and more stuff from iboats. Once they get put back on I will put the motor back on the boat then fire it up. A sea foam spray and see what happens. I have all new rubber for the fuel lines. I'm really hoping I can get this running somewhat good.

tallcanadian

Captain
Metal tanks. And they it is clean. I didn't see a whole lot of dirt in the carbs. Just a bit of oil and stuff. But I guess that too will make her run bad. It's good to be back. It's been a hard old winter this year.

Jeep Man

Commander
Wooohoo! The black bears and TC have emerged from their dens after a long cold winter. Welcome back TC.

tallcanadian

Captain
Thanks guys. I've had a couple of bbq's already but still in the snow. It even snowed yesterday. Good Lord, will it ever end? I got the carbs removed, cleaned, new valve and seat, gaskets. They are reinstalled and now, hopefully, this week I will get the motor back on the boat and hopefully fire that bad boy up very soon.

tallcanadian

Captain
I was able to get my 650 mounted on the boat. Got her all bolted up, steering, etc. The darn thing fired right up. It ran smooth for a minute, then light last fall it started to run rough. I poured the sea foam in the carbs until it stalled out. I waited a few minutes and fired it up again. I could see a big difference in the idle. Not so rough this time. I ran it a few minutes and poured more sea foam in. I waited for about 20 minutes and fired it back up. Once the smoke cleared it seemed to run decent. I shut it off, took out the plugs poured in about an ounce of sea foam in each cylinder. I will let that sit like that for a few days before I re fire it up. There was however a lot of sludge at the exhaust. Is it something I should be concerned about? I've included a picture of that.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That sludge usually indicates that one or more cylinders is NOT firing properly.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Wood is right That unburned oil mixed with water will make sludge. But with the extra seafoam you put in may have been to much to burn off. If this continues on normal runnig on mixed gas Check for spark on all cylinders

tallcanadian

Captain
The plugs actually look good. No carbon, no dirt. Nice and clean. I will be burning the sea foam off this weekend and will check for spark. I don't remember this issue last fall, so I guess it could be the sea foam.

Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain
So I came across a 1989 Merc 90 Hp. Owner says it wont go over 3000 rpm, thinks it's electrical. Anyone have any thoughts on this or should I just leave it alone?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
How Much?? Post the issues in the Merc' forum. From what little I've learned it could be High Speed jets or Stator issues BUT I'm NOT a Merc guy so Don't take my word for ANYTHING!!!!! A 90hp would be SWEET on your boat IMHO!!!! I LOVE my 85 hp RUDE!!!!

tallcanadian

Captain
Thanks buddy. I will post there and see. Asking 600 bucks which is reasonable for this neck of the woods.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
TC, Sorry about the motor troubles. I feel your pain as that was my issue last year!

I hope you get it ironed out soon!

The biggest thing I found out was that having to do a motor change, made it seem link I was making Swiss cheese out of the boat I just rebuilt :(

Status
Not open for further replies.