1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallcanadian

Captain
Okay, where was I? Oh yeah, I decided to take the lazy way and bring my Merc to a mechanic to clean up the carbs and check things out. What he could do in a couple of hours, I couldn't do in a couple of weeks. Well, all is good. He tore the carbs down and cleaned out all the gunk. And there was gunk. He also adjusted them and checked timing, etc. She runs so nice. Also tonight, I was able to get the new decals on and she looks great. It finally looks like an outboard. The splash is getting closer..tick tock, tick tock.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Boy, those old Mercs look good all cleaned up, TC. Gonna get her in the water soon? tick tock. :smile:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Wow! the Merc looks beautiful!
Glad to hear that it is running good and definitely looking good...
Hope you can get it all wet, soon...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Cheater!!!! But...You're right...It took me 3 weeks to rebuild my carbs and get the shift cables etc all set up!!!! But I'm a C.O.B.!!!!!:eek: Looking forward to the SPLASH!!!

tallcanadian

Captain
Okay, so tonight I got both bilge pumps in, speedometer and pitot tube, fish finder and transducer. My to do list is shrinking....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
2 - BIlge pumps ? Front and back or just a backup ... Looking forward to the splash !!

tallcanadian

Captain
Two pumps yes. One is an automatic style and yes the other is a secondary pump, just in case. Also will be installing two batteries, one for the motor and the other for accessories. One can never be too careful. I know I won't get all of this done before the splash but hoping to get most of it scratched off my list.

tallcanadian

Captain
I want to splash it too, however, the Department Of Transport (DOT), has other ideas. The good old government of Canada, probably the worst run crew in the world. To register my boat, documents have to be sent by mail, yes mail to a gov't office in another province. The registration is free, but proof of id, bill of sale, registration, etc have to be sent by mail, not email, no. They say it takes five business days to process. It's been 12 business days and no mail from them. So I decided to call them today and find out what the hold up is. The response is, we never received any mail from you. I'm like shaking in my boots, I'm so mad. So now I have to again mail all these documents and hope for the best. In the meantime, if I am stopped and have no registration for the boat, it's a 250 dollar fine. If I needed a reason to drink this would be a good reason to. Anyway, that's my rant. Tick Tock, soon. :noidea::attention::eek:

tallcanadian

Captain
Yay, SPLASH DAY, woo hoo!!. Finally in the water!!!!......fail. Okay so I did launch the Gypsy today. She fired right up, perfect. Cruising around the bay just to warm her up and get a feel for it. Awesome. I had a chance to open her up, it bogged down a bit but did go. Long story short, it felt like it was loading up and when I it some gas, it would either stall out or go like crazy. It finally just quit, no sputtering, no warning. I was slowly coming back into the bay where I launched it and it just quick and would not start again. Luckily we were close enough to the launch we paddled our way in and trailered it and came home. Backed it into the garage and just closed the door. So now I sit here, scratching my head, sitting my own self pity...lol.. Anyway, I did get a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arkDG6yq8VE&feature=youtu.be

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congrats on the splash TC !! Even with the technical difficulties a splash is a splash ... This just means we get another video when ya get the kinks worked out ! :)

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the motor tc But it looked real good in the video.
It sounds like fuel pump

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the motor tc But it looked real good in the video.
​It sounds like fuel pump

tallcanadian

Captain
Thanks guys, I'm still really happy about it. It did run good. You can hear in the video right before I cut the power back originally, it sounded like prop slip, it over revved a bit. It could be the fuel pump. I will have a look at it later in the the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.