1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallcanadian

Captain
Thanks guys. It's coming along. I need to get more interior installed. I'm thinking of laying carpet in place of the side curtains. I'll make my mind up later in the week. The carpet is actually an auto/marine and the colour is called Blueberry. I really like. it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nice work on her, TC. How are the Mercs running for you? I remember you had some questions a while back.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
New digs are looking nice and comfy for the Gypsy and the carpet and general progress are Awesome!:cool:

tallcanadian

Captain
It Runs!! I fired up the old Merc today. It started right up, what a relief. It does run rough and stalls at idle but I know the carbs probably need cleaning. I'm still working away at getting her sea ready. I'm getting close. I guess I can pretend.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Looking great tc boy that motor shines. But you are not pretending very well cause when the boat hits the water you'll be smiling from ear to ear

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It Runs!! I fired up the old Merc today. It started right up, what a relief. It does run rough and stalls at idle but I know the carbs probably need cleaning. I'm still working away at getting her sea ready. I'm getting close. I guess I can pretend.

I did that more than a few times during my journey too ;)

Way to go TC. Keep it up :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Great that the motor fired up . Man made motor boat sounds only get ya so far .. :lol:
Installed my sticker yesterday also !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Now THAT"S a Good Lookin Boat Sticker!!!! I KNOW all about workin on Dem Motors...and I HATE em!!! Almost as much as Grindin Glass!!!!:eek:

tallcanadian

Captain
So I decided to install new Teleflex steering this evening and go through the tilt tube. . All went well but I have to remove the motor to get the cable through the tilt tube. The splash well is not big enough to put the cable through straight. :violin:Oh well, I guess I will have to get the chain falls out again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, that's a winter project for me. I bought it, but still using the cable and pulley steering for now. Good Luck on the install.

tallcanadian

Captain
A busy weekend. Friday after work we drove to Cape Breton which is 3 hours away and where I had my boat stored for the last couple of years. My lady bugs Dad found some insulation that was taken out of a large building which I decided to buy. So we went and picked it up, turned around and came back the same evening. . I couldn't bring it all back this trip but I did have enough to do all of my garage. So now it's all nice and insulated. I got it all for 250 dollars which is a quarter of what it would have been. It's not new but it's in great shape.

Also I was able to lift my Merc off again to install the steering cable through the tilt tube. Motor is bolted back on and steering is flawless. I have the tube ran for the speedometer and for the fish finder. It's slowly coming along. Slowly.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good to hear the Merc made smoke, TC. :thumb: And a nice warm winter home, to boot. You know the iboats/Backyard Builder stickers are good for a couple of KPH each. So sitting at the helm making motor noises means you should hold onto your hat. :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Great deal on the yellow fuzzy ! Boy that stuff is as much fun installing than grinding fiberglass ! :eek:
Should keep the place nice and toasty .. Gunna hang drywall now ?

tallcanadian

Captain
The next step for the garage is getting it wired. I'm on the hunt now for an electrician. I can't skimp too much on this part because of inspections and such. Has to be done to code.

GA, those stickers are too cool. I expect when I float this thing that they will attract a crowd like bees to honey. I may have to go in at night. ;)

MFG Man

Cadet
Hello all,
I just finished my 73 17' MFG rebuild. The reason I went with the 17' is because it has a 6' beam and you do not need to follow the guidelines for and 18' or above here in Pennsylvania. I got it for $300, boat motor and trailer. It was in bad shape(nobody gave it any "lov'n" in years). I took it down to the hull and replaced everything. This was a year and a half build but it sure was fun.
I just love the old small cabin cruisers from the late 50's into the sixties.
This is my first build so please understand it is no perfect and it will not be my last one either! boat in water 1.jpg
It has more car parts on it than marine parts yacht 4.jpg boat 2.jpg lol.
sorry for the pics greenhorn here

tallcanadian

Captain
Hello all,
I just finished my 73 17' MFG rebuild. The reason I went with the 17' is because it has a 6' beam and you do not need to follow the guidelines for and 18' or above here in Pennsylvania. I got it for $300, boat motor and trailer. It was in bad shape(nobody gave it any "lov'n" in years). I took it down to the hull and replaced everything. This was a year and a half build but it sure was fun.
I just love the old small cabin cruisers from the late 50's into the sixties.
This is my first build so please understand it is no perfect and it will not be my last one either!
It has more car parts on it than marine parts lol.
sorry for the pics greenhorn here

It took me a minute to figure out what is going on here. Wow. You built that? Very nice. I think it's an awesome job. Any interior shots? Thanks for sharing.

MFG Man

Cadet
Yes I do have pictures of the inside and will get them up soon. Thank you for the kind words :)

MFG Man

Cadet
Yes I do have pictures of the inside and will get them up soon. Thank you for the kind words :)

Status
Not open for further replies.