1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hope nothing got damaged when the motor had the snafu TC .. I remember when I fired the big 175 up for the Borum that thought crossed my mind .... If it freaks out how am I gunna shut it down ... My thoughts were to pull the plug wires ...IDK that may have done more harm than good ...Luckily that never happened .. :lol:
Had it happen on an f150 I had ... Gas stuck open in the driveway ... By the time I got it unstuck the cat converter was glowing red .. Scared the carp out of me !

tallcanadian

Captain
I did fire it up again. It didn't runaway but slowly was picking up speed. Butterflies are closed and throttle in neutral. I was ready this time with rags to shove in the carbs to choke it out. I actually had to do that because it wouldn't stop with the key. I also had a hard time starting it. Turns out the primer solenoid isn't pumping gas in. So I have seem to have a few issues. I've checked all the wiring and it seems it doesn't get the kill from the key. I put a meter on and i'm not getting continuity with the key off.

1. No ground to shut off with the key.
2. No primer on start up. The solenoid is engaging but not pushing fuel in.
3. It's running hot within a few minutes. Pee seems to be slow.
4. Seems to be running lean. Air is sucking in somewhere. It's why it ran away, I figure
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
TC, it sounds like you have a fuel deliver issue. And that is because lots of time when an engine starts to increase the RPMs, it is leaning out. That would account for both the increase of RPMs and the engine getting hot. I would make certain you have the fuel lines and pump checked over really well. And the fact that the primer solenoid isn't pumping fuel in when it operates, sounds like some more plugged or stopped up fuel delivery issues to me. But that is only a wild guess on my part not being there and testing things myself. JMHO

tallcanadian

Captain
TC, it sounds like you have a fuel deliver issue. And that is because lots of time when an engine starts to increase the RPMs, it is leaning out. That would account for both the increase of RPMs and the engine getting hot. I would make certain you have the fuel lines and pump checked over really well. And the fact that the primer solenoid isn't pumping fuel in when it operates, sounds like some more plugged or stopped up fuel delivery issues to me. But that is only a wild guess on my part not being there and testing things myself. JMHO

Thanks GM. Fuel lines would be no issue. Not sure what to do with the pump. This is all part of the VRO oil pump, which I disconnected. Maybe there is a kit to rebuild it? The primer solenoid works only when the red lever is turned out but not when it's back in the operating position. I've blown through those lines to make sure there is no blockage. There is no dirt on the little screen in the solenoid. I've replaced the fuel filter. I will pick up some hose this week and replace the lines. I'm on vacation this week so I can get some time to work on this. It's very frustrating, to say the least.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks GM. Fuel lines would be no issue. Not sure what to do with the pump. This is all part of the VRO oil pump, which I disconnected. Maybe there is a kit to rebuild it? The primer solenoid works only when the red lever is turned out but not when it's back in the operating position. I've blown through those lines to make sure there is no blockage. There is no dirt on the little screen in the solenoid. I've replaced the fuel filter. I will pick up some hose this week and replace the lines. I'm on vacation this week so I can get some time to work on this. It's very frustrating, to say the least.
Don't give up. The answer is there. You just have to weed out everything else to get to it. We've all had similar frustrations in life. But it will work out in the end and you will have learned more about your engine then you ever thought possible. I will say, when it things get overwhelming, step away and forget about it until later. And later can be an hour, or even a week later. Amazing when you do that how different ideas crop up in your mind to what you could check for the problem. At least that is how it happens with me. :thumb:

tallcanadian

Captain
You are absolutely correct GM. Step away will give a fresh perspective on the situation. I've done a lot of work on this thing. I should be on the water by now. Oh oh, t thought my pity party was over. Lol.

tallcanadian

Captain
I thought I would freshen up my trailer while I wrap my head around the the motor. I posted the thread in \Trailers and Towing.

Before
AxG6o6rFFA2ysAG7CirAo8JFNesf92T7qC_F-2827Asr_rNnU0QnNQU2SsVzPCoX_no9bmFa786R4QpfGXJPAHju-2iaTLGdzO10kEvzNQMREoXI91iipLLRbbNKjctx_Fh8x-EeJT-uv0MEw5CcZCPKZ5xXAbMgAfYo8OhKmsmzaTz0fZzu1iPFrW4LQV_jvqiJraULMcasiiKFt0In5Glq6rivd5vyzVEo8EWuX_JUOKKBnY6-ZvYTcKjrJxVLHhOQMO5HTqk5KmORwSNC7QEGB2uDJaICXovVmCi5SyYHK-LZoOKPkH73zyRZy9FG5LbqMkz_0cfk3M9paMwJtT2_NJmiemeqJ_uxn3TKq4ef77vb_ibApgdPL8HgYLo3jQztog8MPuniuss2jnCPxl_QoKal3YVmX-VPOFSal36hjNp3gAtnbtOiEidSFeUHZ4CtNw91MfS_Nzq3hhGU6W8StqebTw0XXe7cGeQT8O6mcgNmZX_RPMwQkL0bnDWcbk-lYnRQSYJpqg2ZJtnOielHomdWqhWKnwbleAnalKRxGgqvCRwY2iOUp10WiLZETWZJvDzaLSfbEb_JSAVH0FCTQse3vYXmEWVg-SdQHXW_EkkSahbbP7y6oDVZ_-dRLPAKVoV50evvdNQ7okmWu9vAUhS9ZpZQenQy5zgozRQqwg=w365-h648-no

"After
9tprTwLfNs8eSRsOI6-Xo8hIuf2nIPJ9cKyiYwFzpahLQmnjriajZYvC7xLQexZvVvbQQvuuG_8CM_ttTb0Y0LoH2BDNaFm2owN5hCKMiFxlY-1hlQJEVnoZkKhlxJ_joqOs9dkQsod4D3AEVWDbmaTNhVuhZhAKSO-R_xugK9e13h-AiKnbiFt0dAizJ_TisZtcZfjrcG9xZBEtN3fqO6_dAqrTmDkqOkPEIzd32XvMQF-_q9CsnPrzSgZy01M8oBqGASjy_2utf7RYRdulZz2MZ8gSfcAdbvSHr0dJJCjx7EvpYESlf-VIbzvGspVQD-ufjxrX7y8SSesLiFevkzWHy4Giqs050P-5NRjQrAOnrOjABOyM2cn5zu2MBvyMFhGFOjDTs7QsZxYGm67DouPrhir2ew49Kv4ABTwo06mXKVShWCgld-_dv8Ph1Mcjch3A2wScWZNhVBxXxUxriE6LuhPL5K_1plziThO9ZrnGGKssJNX7WeKr5gdB3radnYaDKZGQYQcF2oGhC1E-U2rF1qNqEa9AWpy5AZNQyTokx51J_d2767XcPaJQrJ5oRjzMpoSMBu2lOyYI8SZFmLExQnFnjAJRxRlh4QISJZdMiMdDsL_KUjFTTXUOUAe0zkouZDSOXVvSwWnwxAAVFHDGChsc8GWTFKD7bq4ExaG4mQ=w487-h648-no

tallcanadian

Captain
Thanks guys.. that means the world to me. I'm tired of the same old colours. Time to spruce things up.

tallcanadian

Captain
Boat is back on the trailer. I replaced the intake manifold gasket on the engine and replace all the jets. Everything is looking good. I have everything put back together. I am going to build a water box to put the motor in. Once that is done this week I will put that Evinrude in and do a test start. I found issues with harness plug on the control side. I cut that off and replaced the harness plug and now have good connections. I installed a kit on the primer solenoid after breaking off one of the nipples on that.

Tick Tock, see what happens.....

tallcanadian

Captain
Update: removed the intake manifold, checked Reeds, cleaned mating surfaces and reinstalled with a new gasket. Tightness to specs. I was able to order in all new jets, installed them and reinstalled carbs with new gaskets. Also installed the new repair kit for the primer solenoid. Hooked up muffs, fuel line and she started. And ran, to me, normal. No runaway, no backfires. Yay. Ran it for a couple of minutes then saw it was getting hot. I'm going to pull the t stats out and check all that. Although they are new, ya never know. I feel like I've gone a couple steps forward.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Update: removed the intake manifold, checked Reeds, cleaned mating surfaces and reinstalled with a new gasket. Tightness to specs. I was able to order in all new jets, installed them and reinstalled carbs with new gaskets. Also installed the new repair kit for the primer solenoid. Hooked up muffs, fuel line and she started. And ran, to me, normal. No runaway, no backfires. Yay. Ran it for a couple of minutes then saw it was getting hot. I'm going to pull the t stats out and check all that. Although they are new, ya never know. I feel like I've gone a couple steps forward.

Sounds like great progress made. I would remove the T-stat and put it in some water and boil it up to see where it opens and verify it is work correctly. Even new T-stats can be questionable some times. JMHO

WE need pictures.

tallcanadian

Captain
I took the stats out and cleaned everything up. It was messy. No all is cleaned, all holes unplugged and all put back together, neatly. Now I wait for the rain to quit. I think I may build a tank so I can run the motor in that. Tick Tock...I hate waiting.

tallcanadian

Captain
Wow it sure starts easy. Making progress. :thumb:

It actually took a bit to start it. I was really nervous that it would take off again. I was really babying it. lol. But yeah, I am pleased up to that point. Now I just have to chase away my black cloud.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey Steve I'm hoping to find some time toget the BF's motor fixed this Fsll and Winter so I can start having fun and enjoy this retirement thing

tallcanadian

Captain
Hey Steve I'm hoping to find some time toget the BF's motor fixed this Fsll and Winter so I can start having fun and enjoy this retirement thing

I know you will get it figured out. Even though my issues are driving me to drink, I'm really learning a lot. I know the satisfaction of getting this thing right will be worth the effort.

Hopefully you can get the time to get 'er done soon. Life is passing by too fast. 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.