1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallcanadian

Captain
Where is the time going? It's coming on the end of July already. I've had a few trips out in my boat and the Merc 650 is hanging in there. Although it is sick it gets me from point A to point B. It's funny how these restorations never get completed totally. I still have a handful of things to do but everything else just seems to get in the way. I was able to add power trim to my motor as stated above. It works flawlessly however I only got an extra 2mph of speed out of it. Like I said, my motor is sick. My other Merc, 850, is tore down and I'm waiting for the winter to make up my mind what I'm going to do as far as motors go. I've even been looking at the older Chrysler motors. I use to hate those refrigerators growing up but I've really have come to like these things.

I apologize for not keeping in touch. I don't get many email notifications as of yet, and to be honest, I'm a little frustrated with the website. I use to get all my notifications and was able to keep up with everyone and their projects but since the change I find it a chore to come on at times. The site seems a lot slower, no notifications. I see that my profile pic doesn't even show anymore. It's been months now and nothing has changed. Enough about that.

I hope everyone is still chugging along with their builds and that everyone is in great health. I need to keep in touch more, and I will. It's amazing just how fast time flies. Be safe on the water, always wear protection. ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I can see your avatar, and My notifications are working fine. Me thinks you need to look at your site settings to ensure you have it configured correctly.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Glad to hear your doing well Tall. Notifiction seem to be working for me as well.

tallcanadian

Captain
I've worked a bit with a couple of mods from the site. Sometimes I get them, most times I don't. I've gone over all my settings and everything is turned on, as far as I can tell.

tallcanadian

Captain
Glad to hear your doing well Tall. Notifiction seem to be working for me as well.

Hi Cor. It took me awhile but I went through your thread. Class A job on that Glastron. What a beautiful job, boat looks terrific. Great job on the Merc too, looks better than factory and i love the motor cover. You taking any orders, :) You must be having a blast with it.

tallcanadian

Captain
Another year has come and gone and it's time to put the old Gypsy to bed. I really dislike this time of year. But I do have a few plans for the winter. As you can see I took the old triple off the boat. I'm not sure yet what I will do as far as motor wise for the spring. I have a couple of options. I could tear my 650 down and rebuild her. She worked decent this year but lacks power. I also have my 850 that I tore apart earlier in the year. I could rebuild that. Or I could go for a totally different power plant I kind of like those refrigerator looking Chryslers. I bet a 105 hp would push the old thing along nice. Time will tell.

First things first though. I'm going to wrap the boat up and slip it off the trailer in the yard. I'm going to freshen the old Holsclaw up. Fresh paint is in order, some uprights, for those windy days, and new suspension.

I hope everyone had a great season, some of you are lucky enough to boat all year. Don't be strangers. I try to keep with everyone. You people rock.

Here's a pic of me between a couple of sexy book ends. These motors follow me home, I swear

Tnstratofam

Commander
I think a 105 Dorm Fridge would be a nice touch. But I am a little biased towards Chryslers.

P.S. that's a nice looking collection of outboards you have started there.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A good brand of outboard is one that runs ! ;) Is your boat rated for a 105 hp ? It sure would make it fly !

tallcanadian

Captain
I think a 105 Dorm Fridge would be a nice touch. But I am a little biased towards Chryslers.

P.S. that's a nice looking collection of outboards you have started there.

Thanks tns. I have a few more out of sight. I swear they multiply like rabbits. Lol.

Growing up I wouldn't even look at a Chrysler. But over the past couple years I've grown to like the buggers. I've heard things about these motors.

tallcanadian

Captain
A good brand of outboard is one that runs ! ;) Is your boat rated for a 105 hp ? It sure would make it fly !

Now Sam, what's a little overrated hp between friends. I only mentioned the 105 because it's an odd number and it's only a couple pounds heavier than an 85 hp. My boat is only rated for 85 but she's got a good transom. ;). I've been scouting around for an 85 plus Chrysler. I don't want junk, I have enough now. It's got to be a good running motor. But they are few and far in between. But then again my mind changes like the wind. Lol. Ya never know what I'm going to end up with.

I trust you had a great season.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Didn't do near the boating or fishing I would have liked to do ...But the year ain't over yet ! :joyous:
Trying to keep my promise to the Admiral and get her outdoor kitchen finished ..It's taking longer then I thought .
Ya'll get any snow yet ?

tallcanadian

Captain
No snow or ice yet. It's been relatively warm this fall but it can happen at any given time. The predictions are calling for a long hard winter. I do hope they are wrong.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
TC I think you need twin Mercs :D I'm a little biased..... lol! On the Chrysler's, can you still get parts? The season is never long enough by the way!

tallcanadian

Captain
You are right. The season isn't long enough. I didn't get out as much as I wanted but got out more than last year. There are still a few parts floating around for these big whites. It's just a thought though. The motor would have to be in very good condition before I would consider it.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Love the Chryslers, my last 140 was so quiet ppl asked if it was 4 stroke lol. Also had a 75 that pulled 2 skiers happily and ran with no fault for the 3 years i used it.

tallcanadian

Captain
Love the Chryslers, my last 140 was so quiet ppl asked if it was 4 stroke lol. Also had a 75 that pulled 2 skiers happily and ran with no fault for the 3 years i used it.

I've heard from several people that these motors seem to have more power. Not sure what the deal would be. I like the fact that the weight of these things aren't that bad, the bigger they go. Time will tell.

tallcanadian

Captain
I can't believe it's been November since I posted. Not much is going on here. The winter so far, has been quiet. I hope everyone is doing well and some are even boating..,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just so everyone knows....Steve is a Year Older recently!!!! Happy Birthday to a GREAT iBoater!!!!

animated-birthday-image-0236.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.