• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

type of paint on aluminum boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• type of paint on aluminum boat

What type of paint is on an old 70's aluminum boat?
    It's that bright green original coat.
    Curious because I am trying to strip the boat down and it don't want to come off.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Re: type of paint on aluminum boat

Might be a coat of zinc chromate.... not sure though could use a picture if ya have one...does it look like this?Click image for larger version

Name:	34b291753a26a55431a4b17c08ccec37.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	126648

Comment

I painted a 21ft aluminum boat and did not strip all the paint off. I sanded the whole boat with 150 grit paper to knock down any imperfections. I them sprayed the boat with rustoluem aluminum primer. Then i used rustoleum professional paint, and i wet sanded in between each coat. the boat turned out great. Has a real nice deep shine to it.

If it were me, I would not try to strip it all off. I would sand, prime, and paint over top of it.
      16ft Jon Boat Build
      http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...od-16-jon-boat

"The sea will discover everything you did wrong"

Comment

Yeah I dont have a way to take good enough pictures since my camera broke. the paint kinda looks like the darker color green on your boat just a little brighter. Before I started I thought just dumping on the aircraft stripper and scrapping it off would be alot easier and now that I did that I kinda feel like I have to finish getting it to bare metal because the stripper could have affected the bond to the older layers of paint enough to ruin the new paint job.
        I even tried the torch and wooden scrapper method but the aluminum actually started to warp before the paint ever started bubbling so I had to nix that idea.

Comment

Working...
        X