• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

type of paint on aluminum boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• type of paint on aluminum boat

What type of paint is on an old 70's aluminum boat?
    It's that bright green original coat.
    Curious because I am trying to strip the boat down and it don't want to come off.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Re: type of paint on aluminum boat

Might be a coat of zinc chromate.... not sure though could use a picture if ya have one...does it look like this?Click image for larger version

Name:	34b291753a26a55431a4b17c08ccec37.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	126648

Comment

I painted a 21ft aluminum boat and did not strip all the paint off. I sanded the whole boat with 150 grit paper to knock down any imperfections. I them sprayed the boat with rustoluem aluminum primer. Then i used rustoleum professional paint, and i wet sanded in between each coat. the boat turned out great. Has a real nice deep shine to it.

If it were me, I would not try to strip it all off. I would sand, prime, and paint over top of it.
      16ft Jon Boat Build
      http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...od-16-jon-boat

"The sea will discover everything you did wrong"

Comment

Yeah I dont have a way to take good enough pictures since my camera broke. the paint kinda looks like the darker color green on your boat just a little brighter. Before I started I thought just dumping on the aircraft stripper and scrapping it off would be alot easier and now that I did that I kinda feel like I have to finish getting it to bare metal because the stripper could have affected the bond to the older layers of paint enough to ruin the new paint job.
        I even tried the torch and wooden scrapper method but the aluminum actually started to warp before the paint ever started bubbling so I had to nix that idea.

Comment

Working...
        X