Rear Teak Platform restoration

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice
I know this has been posted a thousand times, but after reading through them, I wanted to make sure I have everything clear. Below are some photos of my swim platform. I want to refinish it. I'm assuming I need to do the cleaning to it first both top and bottom. I'd like to know what would be the best thing to do to fix the large crack. I have an unused piece of teak from the old ladder, and I was thinking I would sand that and take some saw dust from it and mix it with some epoxy and just fill in the cracks. After that, I would use some clamps to pull it all back together. Once that cures, I'll sand the entire piece and then oil and then a polyurethane? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

img1156j.jpg

img1157xp.jpg

img1158w.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rear Teak Platform restoration

No need to fill it with anything. Use epoxy and get a glue syringe to inject it into the crack then Clamp it back together. Sand it all down thru 320 grit and then apply several coats of Teak oil.

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

I started to clean the wood today. I wanted to clean it so when I put the epoxy down into the crack the wood was free of any contaminants. I use a product called Te-Ka and it worked really well! Of course, elbow grease and some paint thinner helped out a lot too! I put about 5 hours on one side, and the other side will probably only take 1 or 2 hours as it was never treated for some odd reason. I'm going to finish up the other side and take some high grit sand paper and smooth it all out tomorrow, then let it sit and dry for a few days in the sun before I put some polyurethane on it. Here are the pics so far. And I must say, it already looks a lot better! I can't wait to get the boat back from the shop and put this back on later on in the coming week! One more thing, I have only used about 1/3 of the cleaner on the top of this swim platform. So I anticipate having enough to do the remainder of the trim on the boat with what I have. :D

img1169h.jpg

img1170vx.jpg

img1171az.jpg

img1174dn.jpg

img1175q.jpg

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

So after it dried for a few hours, I put some Gorilla Glue into the crack and tied a strap around it to hold it. I"m going to let it sit for at least a day... so it has plenty of time to dry and strengthen. My question at this point, polyurethane or teak oil??

img1181sh.jpg

img1182p.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Teak Oil. Heavy Coat and Let it soak a LONG Time. Treat it Weekly.

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

Any brand in particular? Can I just get something from Lowes or HD? Also, what would be considered a long time? I was thinking I would just be liberal with it for a few days while I'm waiting to get the boat back. I figured this will just soak the teak oil up quicker than I can put it on at first. Am hoping to have this in the water next weekend.

Thanks for the input!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think Lowe's sells Watco. I like this, but you'd prolly have to order it online.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...engine=adwords!6456&keyword=cetol_marine_teak

Here's how I'd do it. Thin the first coat with 20% Mineral Spirits and let it sit for 30 mins. Wipe down and let dry overnite. Next day apply full coat (not thinned) Let set 30 Minutes wipe off any excess. Let dry over night. Repeat third day. Good to go!!!!

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Wood! I did as you said, and it looks pretty good. I really put a lot on it this first time, and it pretty much soaked it all in after about 30 minutes. Tomorrow afternoon I'll put the second coat on.. Here are the pics after the first coat...

img1193mb.jpg

img1194mh.jpg

img1195w.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Yer gettin there!!! Couple more coats and she'll be ready to go!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Oil it every time you come back from it being in the water :) ..

YD.

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

It's really looking good when compared to the original pictures at the beginning of this post! This is after the second coat (I'm waiting to wipe it down so posting a pic here) Thanks for all the help and encouragement!

img1202l.jpg

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

3rd and final coat. Will be placing it on the boat this weekend.

img1206aa.jpg

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking of using a little gorilla glue on the screws when putting this back on the boat. Is this a bad idea?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

While I'm a big fan of GG it's wrong for this application. Use some 3M 4200 or 5200.

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

Finished project (had to wait to get the boat back from the shop)

img1327i.jpg

PX4855

Seaman Apprentice

Here is it with some water under it...

img1336pp.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd say you did a GREAT job on bringing her back to life. Make sure to dry, clean and oil her on a regular basis and she'll last a LONG time.