Finishing Teak

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I want to re-finish the little bit of teak that is on my boat. Several years ago, I bought some teak oil and have been using that, but it seems like a weak or two after applying it looks just like it did before.

Is there anything I can put over the oil or use in place of to get a good looking, but lasting finish? I've used Watco Danish Oil on countertops before and had good luck and like the finish. Would that work better? Somewhere I thought I read teak oil was basically just a stronger mixture, but don't know if that is accurate or not.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Finishing Teak

I have heard surprisingly that Aerospace 303 works well (albiet from THEIR site LOL)... no personal experience using it on Teak, but works very well on other things.... might want to checkout their website for info about that application

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Finishing Teak

You really have to build up the teak oil in the wood to get anything that lasts long, as you know. I did that for a few years with my sailboat, and finally switched to polyurethane coating instead of oil. That only lasted a couple of years until it needed some attention. An alternative might be epoxy instead of polyurethane.