Vinyl Tear

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
Over the weekend I developed a tear in my vinyl sunning pad that covers the engine. Its not on the seam but about 1/8" away. I dont want to take the whole cover off and repair it but I do want to fix it good. There was some type of sealer on the rip when I bought the boat but it got worse this weekend. Its about 5" long and at its widest point is 1" wide. I can pull the parts together so they will touch.

What should I use?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Vinyl Tear

They make Vinyl Tear Repair Kits but... I seriously doubt that anything is going to last for very long. If you want it to last , you will need to replace the vinyl. It is NOT tha hard of a task, with a sewing machine and some marine vinyl you can do it in a weekend. Lots of iBoaters have done it.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

My deck has black and grey accents in it, and the vinyl that is torn is a off-white color that matches the rest of the interior. Would Chris-Craft be the one to contact to get the vinyl or would I just try to match it? If I get it replaced then I would like it to look stock.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

would think you could find a good match out there.....many colors available. And giving Chris Craft a call certainly wouldn't hurt...

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

should I sew the rip up and then apply the 3m vinyl mending kit?

MikePNJ

Seaman Apprentice

I repair torn vinyl and leather for my business.

You won't be able to sew the rip in the vinyl by hand. It will tear the vinyl apart trying to sew a tear that happened away from a seam. If it is close to the seam you can take the vinyl off the board and open the seam and have it sewn together on a machine. You would pull in the difference but have it cut down the 1/4 inch the length of the seam.