Transom Replacement on Aluminum Jon boat

RANGER94F

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

I am working on my first boating project. Attached are pictures of a 12 foot aluminum boat that has been in my family for over 40 years. It is strictly a fresh water boat, and sits in the water from Memorial Day to Labor Day, at which point, it is pulled out of the water. An older 1975 Mercury 7.5 horsepower outboard is her engine. As you can see, there is an outer piece of lumber, which will be in the water, aluminum in the middle, then a inner piece of lumber, is used for the transom to support the engine. Both pieces of lumber are shot. Now please be patient with me, I am not the handiest of men. Any help would be appreciated...
What type of lumber should I use to replace the outer and inner pieces of lumber? Should I coat/stain/epoxy the lumber? I am going to replace the hardware as well - is there a certain grade/marine grade to use or is stainless the choice? Also, what type of washers - the ones with the rubber on the inside? And do I need to replace all of those screws, or is there a way to fill them up with some kind of epoxy or something? Several of the bottom screws serve no purpose that I can detect..

Any other words of wisdom, tricks, or advice would be appreciated.

DSC07137compressed.jpg
DSC07143C.jpg
DSC07145C.jpg