Reinforcing Jon Boat Fiberglass Transom *14 ft 1973 Challenger Jon Boat*

christ0ph0311

Recruit
Hello. I am seeking advice on how I can reinforce the paper thin fiberglass transom on my jon boat.

After lots of searching, I found nothing like it on the internet or on here, regarding any transoms that are simply fiberglass, no wood core,etc.

It is very thin, seeing as it is not hollow or anything. It flexes a lot and I cannot find any info on how I could reinforce it for a 5-15hp outboard.

Here are some pics. From thinking to myself, I thought maybe I could epoxy? a proper piece of plywood to the inside (where I highlighted in red), and fiberglass all over that and the corners,etc.???

thank you

IMAG0279.jpgIMAG0280.jpgIMAG0281.jpgIMAG0282.jpg

Last edited:

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Reinforcing Jon Boat Fiberglass Transom *14 ft 1973 Challenger Jon Boat*

Welcome to the Dry Dock,

My guess would be, it's either been modified (doubtful) or it's just the way it's made, most likely designed for an electric motor only, of with the transom is fine for. Is there a name plate rating on the boat anywhere?

CW

christ0ph0311

Recruit

Welcome to the Dry Dock,

My guess would be, it's either been modified (doubtful) or it's just the way it's made, most likely designed for an electric motor only, of with the transom is fine for. Is there a name plate rating on the boat anywhere?

CW

No plate anywhere, this thing is ancient, but in relatively good condition. it has been painted and repainted god knows how many times. Does it look like I could do what I was thinking and be fine? I'd hate to think I could never put an outboard on such a nice jon boat

christ0ph0311

Recruit

Bump. Any other input guys? Thanks

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Well I don't see any problem with installing a standard wood transom here, just some grinding work and glassing. Most transoms are two layers of 3/4" plywood, but in this appication I'd say one layer glassed in well would surfice. What size outboard do you have in mind? 10 HP or so I'm guessing...

CW

christ0ph0311

Recruit

Well I don't see any problem with installing a standard wood transom here, just some grinding work and glassing. Most transoms are two layers of 3/4" plywood, but in this appication I'd say one layer glassed in well would surfice. What size outboard do you have in mind? 10 HP or so I'm guessing...

CW

Yea I was thinking 10 or 15, whenever a good deal on one pops up locally. Funny thing is, I have found some ads from the 70's for this boat, and various classifieds around the country....mostly showing this same boat with a 10-15hp outboard on it? Hard to believe, when I look at my own and how flimsy its transom is.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The pictures look like it has an "embossed" place in the center for an outboard, but when you say "flimsy" it's hard to judge that without being there. Just go for the solid transom all the way across and you'll be good to go. Tab it in about 12" or so up each side and to the bottom of the hull. Two layers of 1708 will give you plenty of strength to hold a 15 HP or less....

Let us know the progress, nothing you'll run into that can't be solved here.

CW

christ0ph0311

Recruit

Hey everyone. I finally have an update with some pictures on the transom job. I have repainted and repaired the boat in general in various places, it is looking better and almost ready for my '87 15hp evinrude that I picked up recently.

I filled in the recess in the very center of the transom with Evercoat formula 27 filler, and some fiberglass resin w/shredded fiberglass. The whole process wasn't pretty at all and I am sure someone else could of done it a lot better but I am confident it will do just fine. Right now the 3/4" plywood reinforcement is clamped on after applying more filler as an adhesive, and I will glass over it all here shortly. Hope that goes better than my previous fiberglassing attempts :)

I re did some of the decking with the rest of the 3/4" plywood I had, it fits ok, a little funky but ok. I was thinking of coating it with spar urethane, then glue/stapling some cheap homedepot exterior carpet(grey) on the front two decks, and add a small folding swivel seat from wise on the front deck.

IMAG0331.jpgIMAG0332.jpgIMAG0333.jpg