72 Montgomery Ward Sea King

buseman

Recruit
Starting from scratch, I am looking to add some of the basic comforts of a newer boat. Seats, decks, paint job, and some storage areas for batteries. Had a friend that did his and I have some good ideas but would like to see some pics of other sea kings and get some suggestions.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 72 Montgomery Ward Sea King

We'll show you ours... but you gotta show us yours first!

Post some pics of your boat so we can see what you have to work with.

buseman

Recruit

So here are some pics posted above,, like I said pretty basic but ready to trick out!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

One thing to keep in mind, when you start added decks and storage compartments you add weight. Heed to total weight allowed on the name plate. Also be mindful of the center of gravity change when you add a deck and raise the standing height.

Now not saying don't do it, just don't get carried away and put some serioud thought and planning into it. It's a tin fishing boat and great for what is was designed for....don't try to make a full fledged bass boat out of it....

CW

buseman

Recruit

The old paint has been sanded to bare and ready to paint. Decided it is flat enough to stand in so no deck. would still like to carpet, build a battery storage up front, install seats allready purchased, and gas/ live well in back. These are the plans so far. I have a 9.9 Johnson and a 30lb thrust Minnkota troller for as well. I do want to keep simple and functtional.

buseman

Recruit

Started the framework with aluminum inside the shell, still looking for a little input and maybe some pics so I could get some ideas. Im using JB weld to secure aluminum angles any suggestions?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

When you don't need the tinny guys they are eveywhere :). Hey tinny guys, this guy needs your help on some framework....

CW

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Started the framework with aluminum inside the shell, still looking for a little input and maybe some pics so I could get some ideas. Im using JB weld to secure aluminum angles any suggestions?

What are you framing? What are you securing the angles with JB weld to? Post some pics of your work so we can see what you're doing and help you better.

If you're framing with aluminum you need a rivet gun and some blind (pop) rivets at least. The gun and rivets aren't expensive, and are actually cheaper than stainless steel nuts and bolts.

You can buy a good rivet tool kit and extra assorted rivets here:
http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivet-tools/tool-rivet-kits/blind-rivet-kits-with-tools.html
You can buy cheaper ones elsewhere.

Aluminum closed end blind rivets with the steel mandrel are the strongest, and 3/16 diameter is the norm for boat building.

A rivet tool and an assortment of rivets come in very handy when you own and aluminum boat.

64osby

Admiral

+1 on what was said above, if you are attaching X to the hull or through the floor. If you are mounting to your stringers you could use standard aluminum rivets.

Show us what your doing or thinking of and you should get some feedback.

Is yours a 12' or 14'. I had a 12' Sea King and the weight capacity was 560lbs if I remember. 2 - 100 lb kids plus me, motor, fuel, trolling motor, battery and gear and we were close to the limit. I am finishing up a 14' boat now, weight capacity 765lbs.

Don't know how big the live well will be but it will add a lot of weight. Add that to the fuel tank and motor all at the back, plus you operating the boat. Any chance to move the live well forward?

Carpet will hold water and be very dirty for fishing. If it's going right on the aluminum, are you just going to lay it in?

I saw a guy last week that had some kind of large plastic food trays for a floor. It was very nice looking. He cut them to size and trimmed to fit over the stringers. They pulled right out for cleaning.

Not trying to be real negative, just making sure you have thought everything through.

Let us know.

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

Hi...I'm doing a mid '60's 14' Sea King and can't see the capacities info plate...it's covered by aluminum reinforcement on the transom...I've heard 600-750 lbs. as total weight capacity. I'm going with the average or 675lbs. With my wife & I plus mods and gear I'm estimating 650 lbs. I did the calculation for hp rating and I can take up to 15 hp. There are 4 benches in my boat and I have to think that it is rated for a maximum of 4 passengers. So, if that's the case than 4 x 150 lbs. per passenger is at least 600 lbs. I haven't been able to find the rating for my boat but, when I pull the aluminum reinforcing from the transom, I'm hoping I'll see the plate...otherwise, I may have to leave my wife at home...lol.