1982 Beachcraft Cost of Rebuild vs Actual value Is it worth it?

Mousejockey

Seaman Apprentice
I as a new-B, am reaching out to all of you before I start down the path. I have a 1982 16.5ft Beachcraft, (unknown modle) 3.0L OMC / OMC Sterndrive 400 SS 1.65:1
I knew basicly nothing when I purchaced the boat. I had to have the drive rebuilt (water pump shaft striped). The drain plug was non existant, replaced by a nut/bolt/washers/silicone (proper repair done when drive was repaired) there was a leak in the keel where it had been run aground and then filled with bondo/some kind of putty mix (removed all this and did a glass repair, dosent leak now-but isnt to pretty) The floors are rotted and Im having a carb related issue at this time.

If I go down the path and replace the floors, perhaps paint it, heck mabye even re-ring the motor since Im getting that far into it, would it be better to just scuttle it now and start over? I dont know if this is a decent boat/motor/drive setup or if its like a Yugo. If it all comes down to "How i feel about the boat" thats fine, but if there is a solid reason I should abandon the thought Id like to know before I get into it.
Also I havent seen this type of Bow (wide on top, curves down) nor do I know which model Beachcraft it is, can anyone enlighten me ?

PIC_0268.jpgPIC_0270.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1982 Beachcraft Cost of Rebuild vs Actual value Is it worth it?

Doesnt sound like a bad setup to me. As someone that has bitten off big chunks before looking at what I was eating, I would not start the boating season off with a major feat like this. (Full boat gut/ re floor, and motor rebuild) This will be a bit costly but the real question is do you want to invest the TIME? Once you start, you will not want to turn back, and if you are like me, it will soon take over ALL of your freetime. If you dont mind me asking, how long have you had the boat and what $ do you have into it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
OMC motors are NOT very desirable power plants. Parts are very hard to come by. Mechanics do not like to work on them. You will spend 1.5 - 2K to restore her back to new conditions, IF the motor is sound. It sounds like she may not be. The other side is, If you try to go out and find a $4 to 5k boat that does NOT have similar problems you will have a long hard search. You will prolly be able to find some with newer more desirable power plants that are in better condition but the boat may have Deck, Stringer and transom issues. Bottom line is BOATS AIN'T CHEAP!!! And they always seem to need constant repairs and attention. It's totally up to you, but you won't get your money back, and if you're real lucky you might break even. JMHO for what it's worth.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Mousejockey

Seaman Apprentice

If you dont mind me asking, how long have you had the boat and what $ do you have into it?

I have had it 4-5 years, like I said I diddnt know squat on boats, motors somewhat. paid 2,800 for it, 1st time in the water it wouldnt move when in gear, so 1,500 for the drive rebuild/drain plug repair/new boot. Mechanic told me the motor was in very good condition and that "These things seem to knock and rattle all the time, yours just sits and purrs." Ran great after that till I ran the tank dry and decided to rebuild the carb. Woodonglass said expect 1.5-2K, That is a figure I can live with given when Im done it should last for many years to come.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Woodonglass said expect 1.5-2K, That is a figure I can live with given when Im done it should last for many years to come.

Yes, but as long as you know he is talking about the motor alone. Floors, stringers, foam, fiberglass, transom, and all that jazz is going to cost you $$ and lot of time. Sounds like you are already pretty highly invested in this thing. May be a bad idea to turn around and back out at this point..... Don't ya hate it when that happens?

Mousejockey

Seaman Apprentice

1.5-2K sounds high for a motor rebuild, unless the drive is included? As for the floor/stringers/foam/transom this is where Im looking to get an idea on what to expect cost wise, I seem to have a habit of lowballing things in my head and end up with 2-3X the cost I thought.... and no Im not in government finance :p

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yes, but as long as you know he is talking about the motor alone. Floors, stringers, foam, fiberglass, transom, and all that jazz is going to cost you $$ and lot of time. Sounds like you are already pretty highly invested in this thing. May be a bad idea to turn around and back out at this point..... Don't ya hate it when that happens?

Actually, WOG was talking about the hull work with his quote. 1.5-2k if the motor is sound.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Actually, WOG was talking about the hull work with his quote. 1.5-2k if the motor is sound.

Gotcha. Either way, time, at least for me, seems to be the biggest factor with hull repairs.

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are many fiberglass threads on here that show in great details with vids and pics of the rebuild process of stringers,floor and transom. I would spend a few hours one night reading threads and decided whether or not you have the time, resources, money and energy to do this. But it can be done and if you follow what people say on here the boat should last you many years!!