Lone Star El Dorado. Is this a good deal?

berwin_06

Cadet
I need some more experienced guys to tell me what they think about this boat I found on Craigslist. It's a 58 El Dorado. I love the looks of old Starcrafts and Lone Stars. The guy who is selling this says he'll take $800 or will trade. He claims that the hull is in great shape and the plywood is not bad. The guy that he bought it from had an 85 motor which he kept and sold the boat and trailer. Right now I have an old monark with a 110 hp Johnson that I would put on it if it worked out. He does have the title and I believe that the boat was actually in the water somewhat recently. I will have to call him back and find out more things for sure. Assuming this is all true, what does everyone think about the boat and how hard of a time should I expect when swapping motors?

Thanks,

Brandon

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lone Star El Dorado. Is this a good deal?

I know this boat has caught your eye and all of us here on the dry dock can relate... we have all been tempted by the sirens asking us to board an old beat up boat that could turn some heads when restored to its former glory...

That being said...no motor, rusted trailer, scary looking transom... 800 deer seems like a lot for that boat to me... Hopefully, some of the tinny guys will come along and correct me if I am wrong... I would approach this as if everything needs to be redone... Deck, transom, paint, flotation, electrical, gauges, etc.., and, of course, you need power, so I wouldn't pay more than scrap value of the tin...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

She is unique and that has some value.

But, I'm with PMC, $800 seems a bit high for that package.

Have fun!

Decker83

Commander

Hey berwin_06,
This is a cool looking boat. As PMC said above it does need alot of work.
I really can't tell from the last pic, but it looks as if someone has extended the transom out about 2 feet.
I would take a hard look at the transom before I bought it. You might want to do some research on the boat
to see how it was built from the factory.
I can see alot of great things that could be done with a boat like this.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That El Dorado could have the optional factory outboard bracket. And the max power is 80 hp, 110 is a bit much, as is the price in my opinion. New floors (hope it's not P/T) or not, you're looking at a total rebuild. And not too sure on the shape of the trailer. BTW - I'm not saying you shouldn't get her. I'm saying $800 is too much given the work she needs. Good luck if you buy or good luck finding something better if you don't, Brandon.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

That looks like the factory motor bracket on the stern. I would say its way over priced at $800... I would not pay over about $500 for it as it needs everything.

berwin_06

Cadet

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick responses. I think I'll most likely let this one go and find one complete for a little more after a while.

berwin_06

Cadet

I have one more question for you guys. I really like the looks of the El Dorados and several of the Starcrafts as well. What other kinds of boats should I be looking around for? The things that are the most important to me are the aluminum hull, some sort of windshield, I like the El Dorados most but something like a Starcraft Holiday has would be cool too, and I would also like to find something that I might be able to use my 110 hp on. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Brandon

dustin_918

Recruit

I actually purchased this boat this morning (my first boat). I ended up getting it for $600. The guy has stripped more paint since the pics were taken a few weeks back. The transom in the extension is older but very solid. The interior side boards are mostly Masonite so they all need to be replaced. The floor boards are solid but a little too thin for me so I will replace them as well. There are no cracks or major dents anywhere on the aluminum. The upholstery is pretty bad so I will replace this as well. The trailer is very solid all surface rust, it is the factory trailer that came with the boat, the only thing that has been updated is the rear axle so it can use full size tires. I pulled this thing 3.5 hours home and it pulled great, very smooth.

I have a thing for 50s vehicles (currently building my second 51 Chevy truck) so when I wanted a boat I knew it had to be something with character. I am going to strip the rest of the paint this week and hopefully repaint it next weekend. I am searching all over my area for a 50s-60s motor to mount on this before the 4th of July. I will post pics of my progress over the next couple of weeks.

If anyone has any advice or tips all are appreciated since I am very green to rebuilding boats. Thanks for your help.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome aboard dustin! I used to have one of these, she sure will turn heads on the lake! Id recommend taking some new pics and starting your own thread and we all will do our best to help you out. Again, welcome to iboats!

ibmj54

Cadet

I have been looking for a old lone star el dorado myself, several things to consider on this boat, it is all alumium, the transom is extended (However if you look at some of the old pics of these boat that is a add on standard for that time.) My thought is get weight of boat, find out how much it is worth as scrape +100 and make offer. if you have time and money it would be worth the investment, look at it this way. What would you get totatly re stored? and if get tired you would only lose you orginal 100 if scraped