How can I strengthen my bench seat?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have made a 3/4" plywood bench seat that mounts across the curved floor of my 15 ft. aluminum boat. It sags badly when I sit on it. How can I increase it's strength and rigidity without making a bracket, ect. that touches the floor?...I was thinking attaching a piece of foam underneath and then adding 2 layers of fiberglass cloth/resin......could it work?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How can I strengthen my bench seat?

Ummmm Are ya sure its the seat that is weak? How much does the Captn' weigh ??? JUST KIDDN'!!! ;) A piece of aluminum or steel angle or channel underneath might give it what ya need. A pic of your set up would help with our creative imaginations.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ummmm Are ya sure its the seat that is weak? How much does the Captn' weigh ??? JUST KIDDN'!!! ;) A piece of aluminum or steel angle or channel underneath might give it what ya need. A pic of your set up would help with our creative imaginations.

A piece if angle would be the easy way out, and I am trying to keep it open underneath to be able to slide fishing poles, a paddle, ect. underneath the seat....

Attachments

• IMAG0392.jpg
    IMAG0392.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 1

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

A piece if angle would be the easy way out, and I am trying to keep it open underneath to be able to slide fishing poles, a paddle, ect. underneath the seat....
Wow, real pretty wood work ! I think a piece of angle iron or whatever from side to side would work just fine. Nothing to the floor. Some iron channel with a 3/4 in channel on for and aft edge maybe? do you plan on putting a cushion or something over it also ? Love the boat ! Plz post pics when completed !

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Another light bulb just went off. Frame the current seat with 2x2s or 1x3s or whatever ya want, Then put a hinged lid on it. You would gain rigidity AND a nifty little storage area.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the angle iron idea, thanks! Thanks for the compliment...here is a pic with the epoxy on it.

Attachments

• IMAG0398.jpg
    IMAG0398.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think if you just use 2 pieces of plywood for cleats, 2 1/2" wide glued and screwed to the undersided of the plank you would get what you are looking for.

BenchSeat.jpg

64osby

Admiral

untitled.jpg
My old boat had a center support of 3/4' Ply.

robert graham

Admiral

I think if you just use 2 pieces of plywood for cleats, 2 1/2" wide glued and screwed to the undersided of the plank you would get what you are looking for.

BenchSeat.jpg
My 2nd on this!....It'll stiffen up that seat just like you want it!;)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Well you mentioned glassing, so take a 2" carboard shipping tube and split in half, glass the two halves underneath the seat and she'll be strong as an ox. Just a layer of mat and some type of heavy cloth just over the tubes... (1708 scraps, 1700, 12 ounce cloth, etc..)

CW

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A 1 1/2" bench is what you need, either 2 pieces of 3/4 ply laminated together of a 2x whatever.