87 Glasstream 172 Cutlass

RyanM3

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys!

Im redoing the floor on my 87 Glasstream 172 Cutlass.
I have closely followed friscoboaters thread as well as several others. Wow is all I can say! These guys do a superior job.

I have a couple of questions:

What is the best way to make stringer templates?
Is PL Premium okay for gluing it to the hull?

Attachments

• Photo May 15, 10 33 37 PM.jpg
    Photo May 15, 10 33 37 PM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 Glasstream 172 Cutlass

I go to U-Haul and get 4x8 sheets of cardboard and cut them into 12" strips. I cut them out to the approximate shape of the curves etc. and then use a school compass and trace the hull onto them to get it exact. Transfer this to the wood and then cut them to the required Height. We use PL Premium all the time to Bed Stringers. The first link in my signature below has drawings and info on how to fabricate and install your stringers, deck and transom.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome RyanM3,

You have a cousin to my 88 'stream...

I'll be coming along to see how it turns out...

Get a free photobucket account, load your pics there, then click the IMG tag and post the pics here...

Are you doing the transom, also?

This is how I did my stringer templates using the cardboard strips and a hot glue gun...

DSCF1490.jpg

DSCF1491.jpg

Have fun!

GT1M

RyanM3

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys! Been real busy with school and havent been able to do much. However, I have a couple of questions that I need help on to move forward.

1. I got the stringers cut except for the deck height.. Whats the best possible way to go about cutting the deck height to make it perfect? (chalk line?)

2. Also when doing the engine mount, do I need to test fit the engine before gluing the mount? (My engine is located about an hour and a half away)

3. Do I use hardener or just straight resin when applying resin to the stringers to soak in the wood ? (I plan on doing this before gluing in the stringers)

Thanks in advance!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi ya Ryan...my puter crashed almost a month ago and I am just getting back on line...

To try and answer your questions...

1- you can leave them tall for now and cut them down later...

2- hopefully you took measurements and pictures before you took everything apart, but if not, it's only fiberglass and wood, so you can make modifications, alterations or changes as needed...

3-to pre-soak all your wood you mix up the resin with the hardener...just mix it slow, so it has a chance to soak in...

I'm gonna be backed up for a coouple of days tryin to get caught up on my Iboats reading, but if you need me in a hurry, just PM me...

Best regards,gt