The more I look, the more problems I find. What's the best way to patch screw holes?

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice
I took my boat off of the trailer to buff the gel coat out to make her all shiny again, and found 6 screw holes through the bottom of the hull. Two of them still have screws in them. What is the best way to permanently fix these?

thanks for your help,
Brad

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: The more I look, the more problems I find. What's the best way to patch screw ho

Do you mean the screws a through the bottom of the fiberglass HULL???

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: The more I look, the more problems I find. What's the best way to patch screw ho

One possible solution is to inject some 3m 5200 into the holes...get the fast cure stuff, takes about a day or two to cure..if you get the slow cure, it will take about a week...

You can also remove the screws, coat them with 5200 and put them back in...

Hang on for other ideas from other guys on the forum...

A more permanent solution will require fiberglassing...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Epoxy resin and fairing compound is a good fix if you have some laying around.

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice

Do you mean the screws a through the bottom of the fiberglass HULL???

Yes. Apparently, the previous owner (which happens to be my dad) used angle aluminum to make brackets to keep the batteries from sliding around. He used two screws to secure each bracket. Six of the screws went through the bottom of the boat.

What really bothers me is that I bought this boat from him 15 years ago and I never noticed them. But, the good news is that now I know what keeps tearing up my bunk board carpet.

Thanks for your advice,
Brad

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice

I have a brand new tue of 5200. Is this sufficient to permnanently fix these holes? The screws are not very big, maybe #8 screws.

Brad

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The quickest fix would be to dremel them out just a bit and then fill them with Marine Tex

OR

PC-11. I like this stuff cuz it's white and blends in well with white gelcoat. Ace Hardware usually carries it.

Wmzihj01FgDKZF_orkwFtbN_r_pocu7dtiG7mDkPgbV_buRKShTsj61vxR4dxcIK-0vmlyA75jib-WXShcKHlAsZKhV01x9i5mvZJX0tTRfPkJKk686n-OrWSa0ljZJEXYmr60liDR6y6-m9JyBykhDfcRrkeEHlX08SrGCLNKE-IjRmnFHBzrp9Vdv1JBwXNcagKe-IydF-b4wmkIz9zYEvfftmw2zJDgfA_IOK1nhB8D3yC00vZlE6Ez3j5Rx-9TzpPforLUpYcxXClk7GJwSqKx0leQatTZGJoBHozVMj5DgxGZFjgf7ASsQAGTA-zMHufQkTjk1PyCUKeqNJqmLv

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Woody has you on track to fill the holes.....but had to share a quick one with you here. When you said you know what's tearing the carpet on the trailer bunks reminded me of a close friend of mine that done some repairs a few years ago.

He had problems with the battery boxes coming loose and in stead of repairing it right, he just ran some longs screws thur them. The screws went all the way thru to the bunks on the trailer and literally screwed the boat to the trailer to the point it wouldn't come off the trailer to launch....LOL. Needless to say we had to fix the battery boxes properly AND fix holes thru the hull..

CW