Polishing an aluminum boat and glare...

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am restoring an old 15 ft. Starcraft runabout with a closed bow. I wanted to leave parts if it bare and polished, including the top that covers the bow. I have heard there could be blinding glare if I polish this area. Any experiences out there?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Polishing an aluminum boat and glare...

It looks nice but then you'll have nothing but a big mirror right in front of you all day on the lake. Sooner or later you'll blinded and Murphy says it'll be at the worst time possible. Only you can determine how much of it you'll put up with.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

even though this is a windsheild frame......you can see the difference....

your call

randomsummerpicsandfire015.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No WAY would I polish the Bow of an aluminum boat! IMHO that is a dangerous proposition. At the right light angle you could blind yourself, and given the right conditions could cause a serious accident. The hull would be ok but not the top. JMHO

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah a mirror-like finish on the bow could snow-blind you very quickly. Not to mention getting ridiculously hot. However, the rest of the hull can be polished up like an airstream, if you so desire. All you need is some very fine grit sandpaper (emery paper) (1000+ grit), some aluminum mag wheel polish, and LOTS of elbow grease. That's about it. No real secret. Just lots of sanding, buffing and polishing. Most folks find that it tends to be more trouble than it's worth, but a shinny boat does look cool. No doubt about it.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

you can get it cleaned up and then use a scotch brite to add a matte like finish, looks chrome-like but not nearly as shiny, also if your of the fair skinned type, a mirror on the bow would cause some serious sunburn!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If you want a polished bow, just wear a welding hood when you operate the boat and all will be fine.:cool:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Most people would use a muriatic acid based aluminum boat cleaner and rinse heavily with water. It will leave a dull haze on the boat.

Then, they come back with the aluminum polish put on by an electric buffer (like they detail cars with.) Then wipe down the hull many times with lacquer thinner and old towels--until the black no longer gets on the rag. At that point, it'll be like a mirror.

The last step is to put two coats of Sharkhide protectant to keep the shine for 3-5 years. It's incredible stuff.