Cracked Hull on Glasstream 242 CCX

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Cracked Hull on Glasstream 242 CCX

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

If I'm doing the math right, you're complaining about cracks that started 11 years ago?!?

Be that as it may, unless you know for a fact how the boat was treated before you bought it, there isn't much you can legitimately complain about. If the previous owner was fond of, say, wake jumping with the boat, the damage is to be expected.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

and had the crack repaired at that time. Within a month it reappeared. Now there are other cracks developing along the strakes and at the transom.

How was the crack repaired. A crack of this type indicates serious flexing of the hull. If it was not repaired both inside and outside then there's no reason it shouldn't have re-appeared. JMHO but I'm thinking you may have some structureal issues with bulkheads and or stringers under the deck that needs to be investigated.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you have one of the boats that featured the first tries at a stepped hull.

unfortunately, most wernt properly engineered at that time.....they were more cosmetic. (every body saw the discovery channel thing, and wanted steps, so they had a hard time selling boats with out them....so they just put some in) !

the bad part about it.....was that the builders didnt know the stresses involved.

those are inside out repairs for that hull....and as woodie said.....im sure there will be some stringer and foam work as well

flyguysrq

Cadet

These are all good points. I'm pretty sure the guys I bought the boat from ran it pretty hard but I also ran my Mako and Boston Whaler pretty hard and never cracked a hull. Am I complaining, yea I guess so. I have no idea if the company has addressed the structural issues that my boat exhibited but I hope so. I spoke with a manager there last week and she denied any known problems with this model year. Their warranty only applies to the original owner and I clearly identified myself as having bought the boat used. I was not trying to make any claim against Glasstream, rather just identifing the problem and looking for any suggestions as to whether it was repairable. According to her a repair from the inside would not be reasonably possible.
So....have they fixed the problem or are these boats only good up to a 1ft swell? Who knows but before I considered one I'd be sure to find out.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it is very difficult to say what caused this.

it could be a trailer issue. it could be a bad past repair. collision damage. there are many unkown factors.

glass stream did as they would be expected to do....make a note of it for future, and run the note up stairs to the boss, while all the time disclaiming any wrongdoing on their part.

i am a little suprised that they did not ask you to take pictures, and if possible, take it to a dealer to see if this might be a structural problem with the hull.

im kind of courious as to wonder why the rep said that an inside repair was not feasable? all glass boats can be repaired.

in fact.....if you dont want it....ill be happy to take it off your hands....just give me clear title and ill drive down there and get it from you :D!

flyguysrq

Cadet

To get to the crack you'd have to remove the T-top and center console, cut a hole in the deck and remove the gas tank. I suppose it could be done but it would be cost prohibitive. Glasstream evidently didn't think it was worth it.
As this boat continues to deteriorate the next question is what to do with it? There are lots of pieces that would be useful to someone: T-top, electronics ( 12 yrs. old, value??), anchor, boarding ladder, etc. Does anyone have an idea if there is a market for this kind of stuff? If there isn't it may well be available for someone to haul off and make a project out of it.

flyguysrq

Cadet

I originally posted this on the glasstream forum and they deleted it. Posted again, deleted, posted again.....you get the picture.
I'll use the boat until the engine gives out and unless I get a better offer someone can have it. I'm in Sarasota, Fl.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Man, that just Sux...

That forum link I gave you, isn't exactly "all that"...but to just delete your postings...well that's just rude...

Have you had any luck with the Glasstream forum here on Iboats.com?

Unfortunately, from my limited experience with boats in general, Glasstream boats do not seem to be very high on the list, so I find it difficult, at best, to get much info/help on them...

I am sorry to hear that you are having these problems...

Like oops! said, it can be fixed, but it would be a labor of love...if, and only if, the boat has some sentimental value for you, should you consider it...

I believe that if you parted out all the good bits through places like Ebay or Craigslist...you might get some of your money back...and when it is all said and done you could offer the hull as a project hull for cheap...

Best of luck,
GT1M

flyguysrq

Cadet

I just posted on their website again, 3:15pm on 5/22. See it it's still there...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I just posted on their website again, 3:15pm on 5/22. See it it's still there...

Can you copy and paste a link?...I'll check it out...are you "gbcoe" on the Glasstream forum...?

I can only find one thread that talks about a 242 CCX, and I think its from "rgrodetz", who bought one?...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Its a repair job.. failed at that ..

Sorry.. but I dont think that GT(S) is going to give you a Free repair order on a 12 year old bottom that has indications of repair.

I would not think that Any boat builder would give you that kind of repair order..

Just sayin..

YD.

flyguysrq

Cadet

I never asked for nor expected a free repair from Glasstream, I was only interested in identifying the problem and seeing if there was a solution. Unfortunately it seems that I'm not the only one who's had a hull crack and I hope that by investigating their prospective purchase through forums like this one that others can avoid buying products with similar, serious problems. Another benefit might be that companies will not bring boats like this to market knowing that defects will not easily be hidden.

flyguysrq

Cadet

Yes, gbcoe is me. I've been blocked from posting on their site. Seems like only good news is welcome. Wonder how many others have had their posts deleted on Glasstream's site?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I find that attitude on the part of the Glasstream forum unacceptable and you can be sure that the next time I am on the site, even if it causes me to be blocked or banned, I will make a bit of noise...

Irregardless, if you decide you want to spend the time and money to repair your 'Stream...you can be assured that we will help you with any information possible...

Best regards,
GT1M

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I bought this boat when it was a year old. Within a couple of months a crack developed in the midline of the boat .View attachment 145960

Why do you think this is factory and not a repair that the PO had someone do ?

You called up the co. 10 years ago about this problem ?

I dont even think they make this this product anymore. They probably dont even have the same lam crew/templates or finish crew .. not to mention production management..

I really dont know what this thread is about other then to complain about a product that failed on the PO which in turn sold it to you and now your venting..

If you want to Fix this..then fire away at some questions. :)

YD.

flyguysrq

Cadet

There is a common motivation among first, or less frequent, posters to complain about some issue. That's what motivates us to search out forums like this to vent. Anyone that cares to do some research about a prospective purchase can view this and make their own decision. Problems that have been addressed or are applicable to only a particular model/year can be identified and quality issues that persist throughout the product line can also be identified. Most people end up reselling their boat and the residual value is an important consideration. If it's a piece of junk, but relatively cheap, you can make your own calculation as to the true cost of ownership.
I'm much smarter now. The next boat I buy will be one that I can sell when the time comes.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You didnt really respond to my questions on the post above yours..

I know your kinda peeved off about GS and how they are dealing with your posts on there forum..

It just seems like your Using This Forum ( How to fix Stuff ) to vent off some steam and not really to the main problem of HOW TO FIX IT.

You want to fix it or you dont .. if you dont then I will ask that this thread be removed from the resto thread...

This is my last post on this until you start your 'fixin'.

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have to agree with YD. This is the Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum, Not the complaint department. Many iBoaters have purchased boats and found out later that the PO deceived them. Friscoboater spent thousands of dollars restoring his boat that he was told and "Thought" was a solid boat. When he dug into the guts of the boat and found shoddy craftsmanship from the MFG he did point it out so we could all understand it but we all know this occurs. He bit the bullet, gutted the boat and fixed it and moved on. We all understand your dissappointment and how much impact on the wallet these repairs can have but that's the cost of owning a boat. This type of repair is done all the time here on the forum. This boat is Very expensive to replace at todays prices so if you like the boat an investment of $3-5 thousand would still be a good investment IMHO. I think you should either fix it or sell it and move on.