1990 Bayliner 2050 goes under the knife. Transom, deck, etc....

vdubspeed

Cadet
Well here comes my first post on iboats. Long time lurker but finally decided to post.

That said, lets go back three weeks ago. My wife and I pull out our 1991 Bayliner 2050 with a Merc 3.0/alpha setup. Her name is Spare Parts and for the past two years...we have loved her. I knew Spare Parts had a tough life before me but I kept her mechanical sound and enjoyed some AWESOME times on the water with her. The hull's gelcoat had been destroyed by barnacles and spider cracks were everywhere. The deck was spongy in one area and her appearance was fading..fast.

When I pulled it out from under the carport and started the spring cleaning, I realized the starboard side floorboard wasn't going to make it another year or two. So...I decided to sell it and start with a clean boat as I really didn't want to start a project. I informed the new owner of her flaws and away she went.

I must say...I IMMEDIATELY missed the lines of the early 90s 2050 but I had to move on. I started looking for a deckboat. The search ended with me driving to Jacksonville to look at a Regal with a 5.0L. The boat...was TRASHED. Bought and abused from day one. It was at a consignment shop so I passed. Two spots down however...was a treat for my eyes...

a 1990 Bayliner 2050 with a Merc 4.3! I always wanted more power from my old Bayliner and here was my chance.
Bayliner2.jpg

Now the boat wasn't for sale but I had cash in my pocked and since I was on the rebound, PLUS the 4.3, PLUS the perfect body and interior...I made an offer. Well they called the owner and he took it so the boat became mine. What I was told was that it was in to get running and JUST needed belts:rolleyes: That folks is the understatement of the year!

Regardless, I was happy to have another Bayliner 2050 and towed her home. 20 mins into the drive a tire shredded....that should have been a sign but luckily I brought extra trailer tires with me. Well that evening I got it running and it ran GREAT. Good sign. The 4.3 starts hot or cold instantly, rock solid idle and revs like a dirtbike. MUCH nicer than the old 3.0. I was happy BUT...the gimbal bearing was a little noisey...let's have a look:

Imagine the look on my face when I pulled the outdrive off and saw this:
Bayliner7.jpg

:eek: is kinda what I looked like!

So...no metal left around the gimbal housing for the bellows to attach. SWEET. That and my steering is froze PLUS the trim rams are locked up. At this point I started to regret selling my old 2050 but in the end...this boat is still cleaner.

Well at that point we know what comes next...
Bayliner9.jpg

vdubspeed

Cadet
Re: 1990 Bayliner 2050 goes under the knife. Transom, deck, etc....

With the engine out of the way I got a better look at the transom. Pretty much standard stuff here...
Bayliner15.jpg

Bayliner6.jpg

Bayliner4.jpg

And of course...a little more rot to seal the deal of me ripping her completely apart:
Bayliner8.jpg

Bayliner14.jpg

Bayliner10.jpg

Overall though...after looking at the projects on here and watching Frisco's work...I'm kinda excited to get this old 2050 seaworthy again.

I don't plan to re-carpet the interior as I find gel-coat to be MUCH better suited to my needs. Other than that...please stay tuned as I will have MANY questions. I'm VERY mechanically inclined but I've never touched fiberglass.

More to follow...

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sorry about your luck with the "new" boat! Good luck on your project.

vdubspeed

Cadet

Argh...still a little scared to just start ripping stuff out. I'm worried of what I'll find:(

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Argh...still a little scared to just start ripping stuff out. I'm worried of what I'll find:(

consider it all lost. thats what i did and anything i found that wasnt would be a plus. you just need to dive in. when its done it will feel massively rewarding. im getting closer and can feel it

93bayliner1800

Petty Officer 1st Class

My advice is to go buy several sheets of foam board and trace and label as many things as possible! Take a ton of pictures...then print those pics onto paper. I took tons and tons of pics....then my computer crashed and I lost them!!!! When removing everything....take your time to pull apart the front under the cap in full pieces that you can later set back in to copy and rebuild. Ultimately you do not, nor will probably not go back identical to factory, but that is probably a good thing. Best of luck!

vdubspeed

Cadet

Thanks!

A couple nights ago I took a TON of pictures and last night I measured the bildge area, transom, etc etc and wrote all that down. What blows my mind is how UNEVEN all this stuff is. I can AND WILL build a better structure. The floor on this bayliner is so cheap I can't believe it hasn't been changed before.

Overall though...I should have some large chunks out soon. Pics soon...

ckirk

Cadet

I will be interested in how you handle the transom. I found wet wood in the lower transom of my '99 BL Capri this spring while installing a swim platform (poor seal at a through hull fitting for a live well pump). I suspect mine looks like yours with the upper 75% in good shape but deteriorating at the bottom. I've been reading through as many iBoats threads as possible to understand what will be involved in repairing it but I am still not sure, a lot of the threads deal with outboards. The transom on the Capri is similar to this one with multple pieces making up the stern of the boat including the thicker transom piece; in any case if the wood is wet is has to go.

Has anyone ever gotton hull construction diagrams of these older boats from Bayliner to know up front how they are constructed.

vdubspeed

Cadet

They are constructed ODDLY I can tell you that.

BAD NEWS...I f'n sliced my gas tank today while removing the deck. CRAP!!! There's 3 bills down the drain. Oh well...I still love the look of the 2050 and can make it my own when I redo it.

First off..the stringers "seem" to be okay once I leave the bilge area but I'm still planning on having to do them. The deck is actually not that bad. What I find wierd is bayliner thought it was okay to use varying thickness of plywood.

I swear one day I will own a Cobalt:)

vdubspeed

Cadet

Been putting in a few hours a day on the boat. It's AMAZING how crappy this boat was built. I know every one jumps Bayliners for being cheap but I'm just drawn to them. Oh well...I know when I'm done I'll have a BEAUTY.

Right now though...I have a hot mess:
DSC_0222.jpg

Notice on the back of the deck it looks dry and then BAM...rot. This was covered over rot from a previous owner or shop that decided a quick patch on the 3/8 deck would suffice. People suck. This area felt strong!

Anyway...I have to get some other tools to start removing the seat bases and transom but I'm excited to start seeing progress. I'm giving myself until next season to have her seaworthy so there is no rush.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Good luck on your project man. Don’t take off the guard on your angle grinder because it makes it easier to get to tight places; if you do please put it back ASAP. Don’t ask me how I knew that :facepalm:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I am following your project. Maybe some day when I'm finished with my tractors I can rebuild a boat.
Great pics BTW. Nice and big, with no extra clicking...
Good luck!

dalephilbeck

Cadet

vdubspeed. what happened? the thread died.

vdubspeed

Cadet

definitely NOT dead...just no progress.

1. Georgia summers + waverunners keepin me busy + work +++++ = no time for the boat. I plan to hit it hard in the fall!