1970 Caravelle CX173, 1966 Mercury 65 hp 4 cylindar outboard with rotten transom.

• Thread starter Deleted member 340796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 340796

I just purchased my first boat althought I have been around boats for a while. I knew the floor needed replaced so I suspected all the wood might be rotten and so far I was right. I am in the backwards state of MS which apparently does not have any fiberglass suppliers around. I have been reading about Seacast also and am wondering which is easier, price difference and better.

Another question I have relates to figuring up my supplies needed. I do not have the floor off yet, just the motor and top of the boat has been removed, but I am fairly sure I will be doing stringers too. So what is the best way to figure amount of supplies needed? I thought about figuring the area of the floor and just doubling the numbers to account for stringers and transom but is that very accurate? My boat is 17 foot 1/2 inch long and 6 foot 3 inches wide.

For the sake of not running out of material I took 20 foot x 10 foot and came up with 200 sq ft. Next I took the 200 sq ft x 5 (being the highest # of ounces I would soak up while using any of the following 1.5/2.0/1708 or WR fabric) and got 1000 ounces divided by 150 ounces per gallon and found that I need 7 gallons of Polyester Resin - General Purpose Resin.

What I am unsure of is how to figure how much of each of the different fiber materials I will need, and do I take the 200 sq ft area and multiply that by 2 to account for the stringers and transom too? Since I don't have the floor up yet, I am not sure how many stringers there are. I guessed at 3 stringers with 4 cross supports and the transom. Is doubling my sq footage for floor going to account for all the necessary supplies, or do I figure this differently?

THis is m first time so any additional help is very much appreciated. Where is the best places to get fiberglass supplies or Seacast.

If I go with Seacast is it simply a matter of building a mold and pouring it into the top? I read on this forum about that, but does the mold have to be covered except for a small pour hole? I watched every one of FriscoJarretts youtube videos on redoing his Sea Ray and that has me pretty confident I can do it. I wish I could find a demo like that of Seacas too. Anyone know of one out there?

Thanks again,
AJ :facepalm: