78 galaxie tri hull

Rjwhite87

Recruit
Hi.. Have constantly been reading the forums and decided to join.you all really seem to know your stuff. I recently bought my first boat. Its a 78 galaxie 16' tri hull w/ 70 hp 2 stroke ob for $700. I knew when I bought it the floor had a soft spot. But when I got it home the floor was soaked! There is a ton of water underneath the floor. I drilled a hole and realized that the wood is gone... Did I make a bad buy? I really like the boat and is set up perfect for my liking. Im willin to try to save her if possible..please help!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 galaxie tri hull

hi....welcome to iboats.

the tri hulls are great boats.

a wet deck....is common place.

so are restorations....

post pics...and we can help

Rjwhite87

Recruit

Great! Input would greatly be appreciated. Will post when I get home this morning (graveyard). Already started somewhat pulling lights off ect. From shell or cap I guess its called

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you tested the motor? If she's a good runner and you like the boat then she is well worth the time, effort, and dollars to restore her. If you put $1,500 into her she'll be as good as new and last for decades. Lots of good help here to guide you through it all. Open a free Photobucket.com account and use the IMG Code tag to post your pics.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Rjwhite87

Recruit

Sorry bout the delay had some things come up. Set up photobucket but not too hot with electronics lol... Talk my wife into helpin me soon. ok.. Yes the motor runs great.. Decided to take on boat. Stripped her down to the hull. Cut a hole in floor to get water out and let it dry a couple days. Now my big concern at the moment is there is only one stringer.. like to add a cross member under seating area..is this a good idea? And any cost efficent foam ideas?

Rjwhite87

Recruit

Reason being behind cross member because it seems the foam was relied on as support for the floor.. Seen a lot of folks say pool noodles or blue insulation foam as a good replacment...