1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Great name Jas - so great to slay that memory dragon. And primo letter design and placement. Float on!

Trooper82

Commander

Congrats...awesome restore...you did a fantastic job Jason...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats, the name is certainly fitting, a 2nd wind for you & the SN both ;)

Got any takers this weekend to test drive those tow eyes?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Good to see her back on the water.Are you done with her or do you still have ideas in mind for her?

Nah, she's not done yet. Still have the trolling motor mount, stern bench and snap in carpet to get to. But, with her all buttoned up now, I am in no rush for that stuff.

Very fitting name Jas.

That last pic is awesome, gets my vote for a calender pic.

Yah truck my centerfold/calendar days are behind me now. I could shoot you some old shots of my male modeling days though if you like.

I've got magmum...
http://blog.chili-tv.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/La-magnum-di-Ben-Stiller-in-Zoolander.jpg

Merman...
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/zoolander-mermaid.gif

Just lemme know k?

Edit: Oh whoops, uh, you were talking about the boat weren't you:redface: That was a little embarrassing.

Hey, I'm new to this site and this build introduced me to iboats. I have eagerly waited for new posts an pictures, and I've enjoyed everything you've done to this boat. I hope your maiden voyage went as planned. Now please find a new boat to restore and get to work!

Welcome Jos, I'm pumped you stopped in to say hi! Oh man, I fear that if I grabbed another boat to rebuild before I finished this 22 foot Islander I have sitting off to the side...

...well I fear my iboats buddies would come to my place and take her away!:eek:

And uh, my wife would dig a hole, throw me in and toss some dirt on my head:rolleyes:

Awesome name for an awesome boat.

Looks like a great maiden voyage.

Congrats man on a great build.

-Mark

INCREDIBLE DOOD!

Love the name.... INCREDIBLE TINNY BRO!

Great name Jas - so great to slay that memory dragon. And primo letter design and placement. Float on!

Great!!!!,............

Love the name!!!

Congrats...awesome restore...you did a fantastic job Jason...

Thanks guys, thanks a bunch!:D

Congrats, the name is certainly fitting, a 2nd wind for you & the SN both

Got any takers this weekend to test drive those tow eyes?

Nope, I can't seem to get time/place/people all lined up for tubing fun. Ah well no biggie.

----------------------------------------------

Yah fellas, on the name, I kinda felt like there was a bit of a double meaning to it.

Any of you who have started one of these projects (and better yet, actually finished one) know that throughout the process, it's tough! Bad paint job, unseen expenses, having to redo work, engine surprises, (chop a hand nearly off:rolleyes:) and on and on. So many times a project can knock the wind right out of a backyard boat builder type guy!

Knowhattamean?

So yah, there is just a bit of that in the name too:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have a few more shots from the Maiden Voyage...

The morning was totally beautiful, mid 40's make the lake steam, it was really cool! Shots of my mates...
P1090588.jpg

P1090583.jpg

We didn't get anything big enough for the dinner table but we still had a bunch of fun...
P1090593.jpg

P1090592.jpg

I know you guys were totally sick of me talking about the decals on this engine but I'm glad I got it sorted - the no background decals, black gasket and swoosh turned out great I think!
P1090581.jpg

P1090591.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Finished off the day burnin some fuel:D
P1090606.jpg

With 30 gallons of gas, one over weight daddy, two super cool fishing mates, big lunch for 3 and fishing gear I got 41.5ish MPH at 5300 RPM. I think that sounds purdy good:)

Some other feedback - the lift rings, cup holders and grab handles were all excellent additions. Great function and look good too. The lowered seats were a bunch more comfortable, surprised me kinda since they were only 2" shorter. Made a difference though. I still have to duck to get out of the wind, but it's all good.

Hope you all are having a great Sunday!:D

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great to see you, the boat and the kids on the water for voyage and fishing rather than 'sea trials'. You did a fantastic job on this little boat, can't wait to see how the Islander turns out now! And the name is perfect:)

Triton II

Commander

And now, for something completely different... THE ISLANDER AWAITS! :D

Ditto everyone else on the great job you've done on Second Wind... now you need to get a boat driving jockey, 1 gallon of gas, nothing else in the boat and see how fast she'll go! :p

TII

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very nice. What a great way to spend a weekend morning.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

I'm diggin the action shots and the kids.I don't have a good boat yet to take my kids fishing.A lot of lakes here have banned 2 strokes completely.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great to see you, the boat and the kids on the water for voyage and fishing rather than 'sea trials'. You did a fantastic job on this little boat, can't wait to see how the Islander turns out now! And the name is perfect

Thanks rheagler! Yah, we have good fun:D

And now, for something completely different... THE ISLANDER AWAITS!

Ditto everyone else on the great job you've done on Second Wind... now you need to get a boat driving jockey, 1 gallon of gas, nothing else in the boat and see how fast she'll go!

TII

Yah, at sea trial I prolly had about 12 gallons in there, two batts and got about 42ish. I think with just one batt, no gear, few gallons of fuel and trimmed up a smidge I may break 43. Course 41.5 and 43.5 prolly feels just about the same. I still have no real desire to go any faster in this lil metal boat;)

Very nice. What a great way to spend a weekend morning.

Agreed!:D

A lot of lakes here have banned 2 strokes completely.

Um, is South Carolina run by commies now???:confused::eek:

I'd figure you boys from the south would take up arms against such tirrany!:mad:

Decker83

Commander

Your kids have some great smiles. Love the thumbs up pic. The motor looks awesome with the new decals.
The name is awesome too. It really fits you.
Congrats on a great job well done.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks my glassen compradre!:D Yah, I love hanging with my boys, we have a great time:)

-------------------------------------------------------

So now that I have some time behind the Teleflex Xtreme Steering System I filled out the survey and sent that in.

Here's my super quick and dirty eval:

The good:

It's smooth!

I love the No Feedback! That steering wheel locks in and doesn't move, even into turns, DOES NOT MOVE! Very nice!

The not so good:

It takes a lot more steering wheel travel to make the turns. Do I care? Nope, not really, doesn't bother me a bit. Just takes a little getting used to.

It takes a fair amount of effort to turn that wheel by comparison. That's certainly the compromise having that nice NFB built in. Now, do I care? Nope, not really, doesn't bother me a bit either.

OK, that's pretty much the gist of the system from this shadetree boat builder.

I'll say it's prolly not the best system for wimpy glitter boat builders though. You know, fighting off the Puma and all that:p:D

InMotion

Commander

Great name... Very fitting!!! Glad you've got her done and are out enjoying!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

P1090425.jpg

Now that the congratulations (duly earned) are out of the way, I have been asked by the Class of 1994 to remind you that the "best body" award expires after about 15 years or so... Its okay, man, we all love to relive our glory days... Some of just do it with our shirts on, that's all...

Yeah, I've been holding on to that for a few days because I didn't want to spoil the fun with my sarcasm...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Smiles tell the entire story!

Love the name!

Now I just have one tiny little request...

Islander,... Islander,... Islander...;)

Oh and BTW, I'm still humming "that song"...:facepalm:
Thanks!:mad:

:p:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks IM!

PMC - Yah bro, been ran hard and put away wet my friend. Showen some grey and chunkey monkey for sure. But still loven the day flying around with the family in a new boat right there:D

Gus - I was thinkin about the big girl today, playing out the next steps in my head a little. Her day will come:)

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Um, is South Carolina run by commies now???:confused::eek:

I'd figure you boys from the south would take up arms against such tirrany!:mad:

They slipped it in on us and it's hard to overturn a law once it's made.It's the entities that own the lakes that made the laws.I guess would really be more like regulations than laws.The larger lakes, that are a few hours away,don't have such stringent standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.