1965 WARDS 14ft Aluminum V-Hull boat and adding a floor, could this method work?

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone...

I'm a newbee to boat ownership. I bought an older 1965 WARDS 14' Aluminum V-Hull in great condition. It has a 1967 Mercury Merc110 9.9 hp outboard. I've been reading all the forum questions and answers about flooring in a alum. v-hull and note the 2 main issues concerning this idea seem to be weight and center of gravity, making the boat tippy.

I saw an article where mixed expanding foam was injected through holes cut in the plywood floor panel. They were replacing a floor on what looked like an old Boston Whaler. Expanding foam can't be used in aluminum boats as it will adhere and work negatively on the rivets etc.

I was thinking that if I made my templates and cut 1/2" marine grade plywood to shape & size, then lined the bottom of the boat with a vinyl tarp or poly sheeting. I'd cut the tarp or poly to fit and run it up the sides above the finished floor level. Next, I could set my plywood down and either inject (expanding) foam or pour (expanding) foam through holes cut in the plywood floor. The tarp (or poly sheeting) would actually act as a form. This would allow the foam to cure and take the shape of the bottom of the boat but, not adhering to it. Do you follow my thinking? I could take them out afterwards and use marine carpeting and outdoor adhesive to carpet the floor....What do you think? Might this work? It would keep the weight down certainly and I could use 1/2" marine plywood. Finished floor height from the keel would be roughly 2-2 1/2"... Any suggestions or additional ideas about this possibility?

I'm thinking this might work! Let me know what you think as I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.:)

~Bill

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 WARDS 14ft Aluminum V-Hull boat and adding a floor, could this method work?

Welcome to iBoats!
Congrats on your boat!
Yep that'll work. You'll need to really weight it down cuz the foam really exerts a lot of pressure. Or you could just use pool noodles or the Pink or Blue Slab shee foam from Lowe's or Home Depot.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 WARDS 14ft Aluminum V-Hull boat and adding a floor, could this method work?

Expanding urethane foam is used in aluminum boats all the time without casualty, like mine:
DSC02206.jpg

'97 Tracker Deep V.

Galvanic corrosion is the culprit you speak of, but it doesn't happen with just foam. Any material left against aluminum when wet will cause this, even your tarp or plastic. It happens with the wood in aluminum transoms too. The very best way to combat this enemy is to keep the inside of your hull dry by keeping your boat in good repair and covered or garaged when not in use.

If you know that you're going to neglect or abuse your boat by exposing it to the elements you can paint the inside of your hull will primer made for aluminum and this will prevent the corrosion.

About your deck/floor idea, how do you plan to fasten it to the hull to keep it from flopping around when you hit a bump in the road while it's on the trailer or out on the lake with a good chop?

You can frame your deck/floor out of aluminum angle and use the EPS rigid insulation for a durable and long lasting build.

Not trying to be a butthole, just trying to explain.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't over think it, cut the plywood to fit, put it in place and then see where it needs support. A few simple braces and a little framing will work fine. You don't need to bolt it down, the weight of it will hold it in place. You can put some sheet foam or noodles under it if you want, there isn't much room under the plywood in a small tinny. Carpet will get wet, hold water and then rot the wood, just use some porch paint with a little grit for nonskid.

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

Expanding urethane foam is used in aluminum boats all the time without casualty, like mine:
DSC02206.jpg

'97 Tracker Deep V.

Galvanic corrosion is the culprit you speak of, but it doesn't happen with just foam. Any material left against aluminum when wet will cause this, even your tarp or plastic. It happens with the wood in aluminum transoms too. The very best way to combat this enemy is to keep the inside of your hull dry by keeping your boat in good repair and covered or garaged when not in use.

If you know that you're going to neglect or abuse your boat by exposing it to the elements you can paint the inside of your hull will primer made for aluminum and this will prevent the corrosion.

About your deck/floor idea, how do you plan to fasten it to the hull to keep it from flopping around when you hit a bump in the road while it's on the trailer or out on the lake with a good chop?

You can frame your deck/floor out of aluminum angle and use the EPS rigid insulation for a durable and long lasting build.

Not trying to be a butthole, just trying to explain.

Not a problem...that's why I posted. I hate to do something and find out the hard way. I'd rather over do it and never have to worry. I was thinking of using Gluvit on the inside and Steelflex on the outside. Would that solve the corrosion issue? I have a boat cover I got from Cabelas. I plan on washing it after every use...inside & out so I'd take the flooring out to do that and let it dry good before covering it up. I think I'll put aluminum angle iron attached to the seat supports to anchor the flooring...I'll take some photo's of the boat tomorrow if weather permits and post them as well. Thanks for the info it's really appreciated. Take care.:D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Keeping water absorbing materials like carpet out of your boat, providing good drainage, and keeping yourboat covered will be the 3 best things you could ever do for a problem free boat that'll last many decades.

Sealing your decking plywood with epoxy resin, choosing a water shedding finish, and providing air flow top and bottom will preserve your plywood decking. Decking that sits directly on top of foam is as bad or worse than decking with carpet on top, and put the 2 together and the poor plywood is doomed to a very short life.

Check your hull for any leaks and repair them properly before applying the Gluvit and Steelflex. gluvit and steelflex are great preventive measures... but only mediocre fixes.

If you'll give your boat a deep cleaning at the beginning and end of your resto, you shouldn't need much more than a damp rag wipe down after each outing.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a problem...that's why I posted. I hate to do something and find out the hard way. I'd rather over do it and never have to worry. I was thinking of using Gluvit on the inside and Steelflex on the outside. Would that solve the corrosion issue? I have a boat cover I got from Cabelas. I plan on washing it after every use...inside & out so I'd take the flooring out to do that and let it dry good before covering it up. I think I'll put aluminum angle iron attached to the seat supports to anchor the flooring...I'll take some photo's of the boat tomorrow if weather permits and post them as well. Thanks for the info it's really appreciated. Take care.

What corrosion issue are you talking about? I have not heard of the foam causing problems with aluminum.

I wouldn't take the flooring out. Put in foam, seal up the plywood both sides and edges and fasten it down. Don't worry about taking it out to clean the inside.

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

My wife and I took it out 1 time last summer. We headed down to Coles Point Marina, Virginia on the lower Potomac across from Point Lookout, Md. When I bought the boat. motor & trailer the guy who was selling it started up the engine just long enough to show it ran well. It did....fired right up and ran smoothly. He didn't have the motor in water so, that's why he only ran it for 10-15 seconds. After talking with him, I got a good feeling about him and he seemed nice enough, had his kids there and was cool. No problem. I got the boat, a 1967 WARDS 14' aluminum v-hull, trailer with a spare tire, recently greased hubs and a 1965 Mercury Merc110 9.8 hp motor, metal gas tank plus oar, life vests, anchor, battery, a Minn Kota electric trolling motor, Hummingbird depth finder and some other little extras for $700. Great deal I think. The boat, although dingy in places has no dents or dings and all off the rivets are tight and don't leak.

Anyway, we get it in the water, start the motor right up and set out. I decide to run it once around the harbor to get a feel for it before getting out onto open water on the Potomac. We're loaded for fishing and maybe a crab or two, cooler and lunch and my wife is nervous because she's never been in a boat before.

Once around the harbor and she's running strong and no problems with the way she handles so out toward open water we go. As we aim out of the harbor's channel toward the river...sputtering the engine starts to overheat. I notice no water coming out of the old merc! The engine stops and we're in the middle of the channel dead in the water. CRAP! And so ended our first outing and our weekend of boating. Long story short...the impeller had sat too long and I need to replace it. That was late last summer and I just now got around to tracking down the part and will be doing the work myself. Not too tough a job from what I've read but, finding all the parts I need has been an issue. The impeller was no problem but, other parts...hmmmm.

The Merc110 is a cool looking old classic and I love it but, I'm pretty sure that this will be the last year I own her. In the short time we cruised in the harbor at Coles Pt. my wife decided I could get a bigger boat! I love my wife! So my dream is to eventually get myself a Boston Whaler and with a nice restoration on this little tinny, I'll sell her and I might be half way there. But, for now and this year I'm working on my boat and going fishing as many times as I can. I found out last night that the Merc110 was designed for fresh water so I guess the lower Potomac wasn't a good idea...I hope that wasn't what caused the impeller to pop? The mechanic at Coles Point said it was likely due to the impeller sitting and it mis- shapened.

Back to the floor...thanks for all the suggestions and ideas by the way...I'm thinking that after each outing I could take the floor panels out if the foam is attached. I might even go a step further and fiberglass resin the marine plywood before adhering the carpet. It's raining today and I can't take any photos of the boat so I'll get them up as soon as I can. The boat has 3 bench seats and the only decking I might do is up front at the bow and first bench. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the middle bench but, I haven't seen if it will affect the structural integrity. I'll never be out with more than myself and one other person even though it's rated for 6 I think. I

I have a buddy with a newer (90's) 15hp Mercury he'll sell me but, if the Merc110 runs well I'll probably hold off until my next boat. Keep those ideas and suggestions coming in as I can use all the advice you guys have to offer. Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If your motor overheated I wouldn't trust it for a while until it has proven itself. Stay close to the launch for a while but put some hours on the motor. This site has a good motor section you may want to check on.

If you're ste on attaching the foam to the decking coat it with at least 3 coats of epoxy resin, not the polyester resin used in fiberglassing. Seal your decking top, bottom, edges, and any holes you make in it to pour foam in.

You can order epoxy resin here:
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Be sure to order the pumps with it for quick and easy measuring.

BTW, changing an impeller is a pretty easy job... especially the second time you do it. Lots of good vids on youtube that show you how.

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

DSCN_0001.jpgDSCN_0002.jpgDSCN_0003.jpgDSCN_0004.jpgDSCN_0005.jpgHere's the first 5 pictures and more to follow.

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

5 more...DSCN_0006.jpgDSCN_0007.jpgDSCN_0008.jpgDSCN_0009.jpgDSCN_0008.jpg

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

...and again.DSCN_0011.jpgDSCN_0012.jpgDSCN_0013.JPGDSCN_0014.JPGDSCN_0015.JPG

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

next 5...DSCN_0016.JPGDSCN_0017.jpgDSCN_0018.JPGDSCN_0019.jpgDSCN_0020.JPG

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

and still more...DSCN_0021.jpgDSCN_0022.jpgDSCN_0023.jpgDSCN_0024.jpgDSCN_0025.jpg

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

...and the last batch!DSCN_0026.jpgDSCN_0027.jpgDSCN_0028.jpgDSCN_0029.jpgDSCN_0030.jpg

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

And that's my boat. The trailer is a 1967 SEARS. I was told the boat was Montgomery Wards but, I'm not so sure. The boat plate has been covered up when someone added an additional aluminum plate to the back of the boat so I can't see any of the information. If it is a WARDS boat I've been told on another post they thought perhaps it was made for WARDS by STARCRAFT? If anyone can help me out with the idenification on the actual manufacturer I'll be able to see the weight limits and Coast Guard info...The boat included everything pictured plus a couple of cheap life jackets, an adj. oar, spare tire, Minn Kota 28lb. thrust trolling motor, marine battery & box and a Humingbird depth finder. I paid $700 for all...I think I did all right...even with having to repair the motor with a new impeller. I'll continue to post as progress continues and your responses, suggestions and information is always welcome.

Expidia

Commander

I cringed when I read "he ran the Merc for 10 or 15 seconds". That's well enough time to toast an impeller. Never run it when dry for any secs. How many times might he have done that for other perspective buyers before you got there?

A set of muffs are probably around $5 at walmart. Buy a set. Next time you need to start that motor for whatever reason hook up the garden hose to the muffs, place them over the water inlets on the side at the bottom of the outboard and turn on the water before you ever try and start it.

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

DSCN0217.jpgDSCN0219.jpgDSCN0226.jpgDSCN0229.jpgDSCN0233.jpgHi...that's one of the first things I bought. Looking back I'd have insisted on a wet test but, I'm new to boat ownership and didn't know any better. I found an impeller for $15 and it'll cost me nearly as much to have it shipped. They don't make kits for this old girl so I'm looking for a parts motor through Craigslist, eBay & online...hard to find. There's a couple of Youtube videos of the Merc110 running and that's cool. It should get me up on plane. I also found a plan for an engine stand online and I think that's something I'll be doing as well. As it stands I'll sand the outside of the boat and buff it to prepare the bottom for Steelflex. The top half I'll paint...white or light gray. The inside I'll do the same prep but, use Gluvit and then paint it light gray. The floor will be 1/2" marine grade plywood with 3 coats of epoxy resin before I adhere the marine carpet (Charcoal gray). I'm still refining my ideas as to how I want to support it but, weight is my main concern. The motor will get cleaned really well, all hoses and wires replaced then sanded and painted. I'm not going to invest too much into the motor but, a nice degreasing, cleaning and paint job should get her looking pretty sweet. Other than that I want to prep. and sand the trailer and put a paint job on it too. Black should be ok. I'm getting the fever...can't wait to start!

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

I'm way too excited about this...here's some more shots.DSCN0263.jpgDSCN0265.JPGDSCN0266.jpgDSCN0267.JPGDSCN0283.jpg

radgumbo

Seaman Apprentice

Was that a snakehead? I heard they taste pretty good!