Looking to paint my 14' fiberglass boat, trying to take the cheapest route.

MichaelV

Cadet
Hey Guys,
Just got referred to this site from a friend, looking forward to looking around this site more and more.
This is the top coat that I am looking to do on the top. What do you guys think. I heard Valspar is good stuff. Positives and negatives would be great. Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Michael

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking to paint my 14' fiberglass boat, trying to take the cheapest route.

Check the Paint Your Boat link at the bottom of my signature.

MichaelV

Cadet

Hey Guys,
Just got referred to this site from a friend, looking forward to looking around this site more and more.
This is the top coat that I am looking to do on the top. What do you guys think. I heard Valspar is good stuff. Positives and negatives would be great. Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Michael

I actually checked that out before I wrote this. I was just confused on which would be ATW and BTW. I was looking for a red top and a white bottom. I have lots of tools and supplies for prep but I am just looking for an exact link or more just a little more guidance in what exactly to get and what would be best for how much I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what else you need/want. The link has the Prep, Primer, Paint, Formula, Quantities and methods of application. What else is there???

MichaelV

Cadet

I tried to edit the previous post but it would not let me.
I believe I will go with this for the top coat ATW. Would that work for BTW on a fiberglass boat?

MichaelV

Cadet

The pictures finally loaded on your page. Man I feel dumb. I am sorry to waste your time. Thanks a lot though! I cannot wait to paint it. I will be sure to ask more questions if I still have any after thoroughly reading your post several times. Thank you very much. You're a great help without yelling at me for being dumb. :) Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No problem. As long as you don't leave your boat in the water for more than a couple of weeks at a time you can use the paint with the hardener Above or Below the waterline

MichaelV

Cadet

No problem. As long as you don't leave your boat in the water for more than a couple of weeks at a time you can use the paint with the hardener Above or Below the waterline

That sounds great. My little boat is only in the garage for a few hours at a time every ones in a while. Thanks a bunch!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Post some pics so we can see her!!!

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi MichaelV ..... Welcome to iboats. Are you going to spray your boat or are you going to roll n roll or roll n tip? Here is a video on roll n tip that might be of some help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo&feature=related

There are a lot of guys on here that have used both with great results. I used the roll n roll on mine:
DSCF2088-1.jpg

MichaelV

Cadet

Post some pics so we can see her!!!
Gretta! The 14' Fiberglass boat from Little Lakes, MN in 1955!
IMAG1893.jpg

IMAG1894.jpg

IMAG1896.jpg

Hi MichaelV ..... Welcome to iboats. Are you going to spray your boat or are you going to roll n roll or roll n tip? Here is a video on roll n tip that might be of some help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo&feature=related

There are a lot of guys on here that have used both with great results. I used the roll n roll on mine:
DSCF2088-1.jpg
I am looking into both options. My uncle has a lot of paint sprayers so I'm thinking one of those would work. If not, I would be fine with rolling it too. I'm just thinking spraying would be easier. And your boat looks good!

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

I did a little bit of both on my boat (spray and roll). By far, the parts that were sprayed turned out superior. It was also a much quicker process. I know you can get the same great results with rolling, but it took more patience than I was willing to give. ;)

I used a white/maroon (custom color) for my scheme. For the white, I used Rustoleum with the hardener. For the maroon, I used a Sherwin Williams oil-based industrial enamel with the hardener. Both turned out great and appears to be quite tough. It would be nice to have some flake glittering in there, but aside from that I am quite pleased with the results.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gretta! The 14' Fiberglass boat from Little Lakes, MN in 1955! I am looking into both options. My uncle has a lot of paint sprayers so I'm thinking one of those would work. If not, I would be fine with rolling it too. I'm just thinking spraying would be easier. And your boat looks good!

She's got a lot of possibilities. Spraying is easier, but the Roll n' Roll method can lay down a "Spray Like" appearance with patience and persistence. If you have the Compressor and the Gun then spraying IS the way to go IMHO!!! But again, a quality paint job is all in the prep 12 hours of prep...2 hours of spraying (30 minute hitches)

MichaelV

Cadet

I did a little bit of both on my boat (spray and roll). By far, the parts that were sprayed turned out superior. It was also a much quicker process. I know you can get the same great results with rolling, but it took more patience than I was willing to give. ;)

I used a white/maroon (custom color) for my scheme. For the white, I used Rustoleum with the hardener. For the maroon, I used a Sherwin Williams oil-based industrial enamel with the hardener. Both turned out great and appears to be quite tough. It would be nice to have some flake glittering in there, but aside from that I am quite pleased with the results.

I completely agree, I would much rather spray than roll. I believe that is what I will do.
Now I am just onto the paint and prep. I assume the hardener can be added at the paint / hardware store?

She's got a lot of possibilities. Spraying is easier, but the Roll n' Roll method can lay down a "Spray Like" appearance with patience and persistence. If you have the Compressor and the Gun then spraying IS the way to go IMHO!!! But again, a quality paint job is all in the prep 12 hours of prep...2 hours of spraying (30 minute hitches)

Yep, spraying it is! Could you help me through what I should do to prep?
And I am just a little caught up on the paint still. I read your other post on painting inexpensively and now I just need to find this stuff. I have found it online like on amazon but I am not sure how much I need and where to buy it.
I want the top to be a brighter red and the bottom just white.

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

No, don't add the hardener at the paint store! Add it 30 minutes before you are ready to spray (mixing often during that 30 minutes). Don't mix more than you will use in an 8 hour time period.

Go to your nearest Tractor Supply store and go to their paint aisle. You can get both red and white (it's Valspar tractor/implement paint). Get a bottle or two of the Enamel Hardener, which they sell right there next to the paint.

Next, pick up some primer. I got mine from Lowes, so I'm not sure if there will be some right there with the Valspar at TSC.

For prep, use 60 grit paper to get it down to a good scuff. If you need to do any body filling/repairs, do it now (3M Marine filler is good stuff. Be sure to sand it with 60 again if needs be) Then hit it with some ~150 and finally some ~220. Wipe it down good with acetone.

Now you will spray a coat of primer. Let it dry and then lightly hit it with some ~220 grit paper to knock it down. Wipe it down with acetone again and spray a second coat of primer.

Hit it again with the 220 and the Acetone and now you are ready for color! Mix up your paint and hardener about 30 minutes before you are ready to spray. Mix it well over those 30 minutes to get it activated. Spray the color in thin coats and wait 8 hours or so between coats. A light knock-down with the 220 and an acetone wipe between coats should be all that is needed.

When you have enough coats of color, you can wetsand it, polish it, and wax it to your content.

Disclaimer - I may have missed a spot or two. WoG will correct me if I missed anything or made a mistake.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Good advice this ^^^. Some added points, After first coat of primer you'll be able to see any imperfections so just shoot a light coat. NO HARDENER in the primer. Sand down any imperfections and fill, sand and acetone. Re-shoot with primer. When satisfied then apply a good cover coat of primer. Check again for blemishes. If satisfied the Color Coats. I don't use sand paper between color coats I just use 3m Scotch Brite pads and water. This knocks the nubs down and scuffs the paint a bit for the next coat to have some "Bite" Towel it off Wipe down with a damp cloth of Acetone and shoot the next coat. If the temps are above 70? then you can reshoot in about 4 - 6 hours. After the final coat I'd wait at least two weeks before doing any buffing or polishing.

MichaelV

Cadet

Both of you guys answered any question I can think of at the moment! Thanks a lot.
The only problem I foresee in the immediate future is finding a tractor supply store. I live in Colorado Springs and I can't seem to find one around here on google, any ideas?

MichaelV

Cadet

Anyone have any ideas on where to pick this stuff up around Colorado Springs? I was maybe thinking Big R?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My Googling turned up this...
Says it's 48 miles north of you.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Miles[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Name & Phone [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Address [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]48[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]N[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Western Hardware
303-622-4414
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]56640 East Colfax Ave
Strasburg, CO 80136
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

MichaelV

Cadet

My Googling turned up this...
Says it's 48 miles north of you.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Miles[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Name & Phone [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Address [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]48[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]N[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Western Hardware
303-622-4414
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]56640 East Colfax Ave
Strasburg, CO 80136
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Thanks. I may have to head up there but only if I have to. I was at the local Big R farm, home, and ranch store and saw this stuff there. Different brand but seems to be the same stuff. What do you think?

IMAG1911.jpg

IMAG1913.jpg

IMAG1914.jpg