wet sand restoration of non-skid whaler deck?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
From what I am learning here, I think I'd rather restore my blue whaler interior's color by wet sand, etc. than painting. Never done this. How can it restore the color in the non-skid deck, other than just the surface?

It's a 1963 and right faded. Hope it works, sounds like a lot of work but so is prep/painting it right. I'm glad to learn about the spectrum paste as I have some dings to repair. can I rub that into spider cracks, or will the sandingdo it (like compounding on scratches on a car?)

BTW my outside hull I'm going to have to paint due to repairs to damaged places.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: wet sand restoration of non-skid whaler deck?

My '73 13 had the Desert Tan interior, HC. It was not faded. My Sakonnet, however, did have the blue interior. What restoration I did to her interior was all done with a buffer and polishing compound. The exterior was painted for the same reasons you plan to paint. I recommend that you try to match the Desert Tan rather than just using white.

Is your 13 a Tender, Sport or SS? Got pix?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: wet sand restoration of non-skid whaler deck?

I didn't know that in 1963 they had different models for the 13. 2 seats, steering console, hatch seat on bow, all mahagony.
Are you saying the "desert tan" is the correct "white" for the exterior hull? I'm picturing the newer tan interiors.

As for my old blue interior--are you suggesting just polishing and not trying the wet sand, too? What did you use?