• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Replacing a transom

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a transom

There are many questions regarding transom rebuilds with options of popping the cap to just cutting off the cap around the transom area. I came across this series of youtube videos the other day regarding a rather simple transom rebuild and thought of everyone here. NOTE...THIS IS NOT MY PROJECT. Now...before some of you come back to me saying this guy used the "wrong" materials, etc., let me say this. I liked this video for a couple of reasons. 1.) He cut the back of the cap off rather than popping the top. Still, I am not here (or there) to judge if the remaining stringers needed to be replaced. 2.) He installed plywood and not some fancy composite. Again, I am not judging his methods, but appreciate that he used wood from a hardware store. Overall, with how he did it, I would not...product, sealing, etc., but to each his own. He ended up with a finished product and splashed the thing. In the video there is a lot to learn, either in what to do, or what not to do. Hope you enjoy it.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Cheers!
    Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late.

Remember, if you are going boating -- take your boat. Don't ask me how I know this.

Some men fish all their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after
    Henry David Thoreau

TightLine Fish Tech

Serious Lights for Serious Fishing

Little Eagle progress blog
Working...
X