Fiberglass Boat Paint

Mike007

Recruit
Heya guys...this should be an easy question for you.

I just bought a 15 ft fiberglass boat.....nothing fancy....it is like an aluminum john boat but fiberglass....for going to the local lake in my area.

It is old...but solid...the paint is peeling off and it needs to be repainted.

Wondering if you guys could help me out on the best way to do this...i.e. preparation, paint type, etc.

I am thinking that I can paint the outside of hull and the interior sides with maybe Interlux Brightside Polyurethane....and I want a non-skid on the floor so maybe Interlux Interdeck Polyurethane?

Any advice on my thoughts and the best way to prep surface aside from getting loose paint off..i.e. do I need to sand or prime etc.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Mike

Re: Fiberglass Boat Paint

Welcome to iboats!

Sand, prime and paint. If it's just a plain ol fishing boat, I wouldn't get too fancy. Interlux is expensive and if I am thinking correctly about what you have, a good coat of enamel might be fine. Of course it all depends on how fancy you want to get. Post some pix if you can...we love pix.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

welcome to iboats. Woodonglass would probably be the best guy for this i assume you dont want to put in too much into the paint job like me, i am going to put almost half a grand into just paint alone. but hey thats just me.
Here is the link to his restoration where he paints his boat with rustoleum... you may be like yeah right... but surprisingly thats a very popular thing and i havent heard many complaints. here it is check it out:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384982&page=10&p=3302799#post3302799
good luck

rickryder

Commander

Valspar Oil Based Acrylic Enamel Paint is what Wood uses...it can be bought at Tractor Supply.

Trooper82

Commander

Yup^^^^I used that on my trailer, very pleased with the results. I may end up doing the same for the boat too.

Welcome to the Dry Dock!!

Lots of info here. Someone will steer you right.

Mike007

Recruit

Hey guys...wow! QUick excellent responses.

I started looking at the prices of the interlux and I if I use that i will spend half the cost of what I paid for the boat on paint....only paid $300 for boat and trailer. Again, just a little boat to take to the local lake with my son for some fishing.

So...I will check out the advice and links...i did see the enamel as a possibility...dont need to get fancy...just want it to look descent...and if iI need to repaint every couple years (if I even have it that long) than so be it...would like to go cheap on it of course.

Rustoleum sounds good as far as inexpensive.....glad I checked in! Keep it coming boys!

Trooper82

Commander

That Valspar Implement paint at TSC , you can get a hardener for it. Really tough finish once it cures. I bet it would last a long time on a boat hull.

WoG knows best though.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

The Valspar is ok just is not made to stay moored in the water for days and days. If you trailor it mostly it should be ok. I sprayed it on my hull don't know how long it will last but we'll see. Can't beat the price !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, the guys have led you right. For an inexpensive yet durable paint job you can't beat the Valspar Tractor Paint with the added Hardener. As with all Paint jobs it's all about the prep. The link at the bottom of my signature has all the info you'll need.

and then, of course, you will want to add some seats, and perhaps a floor, and while you are at it, floatation. oh...and then maybe you can add a center console, a couple of gauges, and it's probably under powered so there's that. and maybe a nice canvas top, perhaps a live well...a built in cooler? heck, you start with a $300 boat and before you know...$5000. :facepalm: and of course, you will have to have another couple of boats around so you can get started on the next one.

it's a disease. walk away while you still can...while there is still some sanity in your life. ;)

Mike007

Recruit

Hey guys....I have a follow-up question to this.

I am planning on using the Valspar paint with the hardener, etc., as describer by Wood.....but, I want an olive green color which they do not supply....like a typical aluminum john boat color.

I saw that you can add oil based artist coloring....also saw where you can mix other colors in with base colors....i.e. start with green Valspar and maybe add black.....etc....but do not know what ratio or colors to try.

Any advice?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Get a quart of Ford Blue and a quart of John Deere Yellow. Start with a 1/2 cup blue and 1/4 cup yellow and see what you get. Add a Tablespoon of yellow more as needed till you get the Green that you want. Some Black might help too.